Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been enjoying the "What does your group consist of?" thread the last few days, but have noticed that I really don't have a group at all.

I think this is in part due to the fact that I have not thought about disasters much, and have perused most of my skills due to a general interest in developing the skills themselves more than out of a fear that I may actually need them to survive a crisis.

But after reading through that thread, I started thinking that it might not be bad to know other like minded people from my area, especially if this country really goes south (and it looks like it will).

So with that said, how many people here are in the Chicago area, and close to the southwest suburbs in particular?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Do you have a group of friends who show any signs of being concerned? your group needs to be a bunch of people you can trust with your life and your families life. Find the right people not just a bunch of guys and girls. big thing is to have a plan. Know where you are going and how you are going to get there. Make some preparations. Also check with the Newbies coming on now. A lot of these follks are looking for connections to people in their area as well. Also look at areas you may plan to go to.

Do you plan to stay in place where you are? Best wishes to you from Texas.

Be sure and check out the EVENTS threads. there is one there right now for Illinois folks.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
Welcome from tennessee

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Do you have a group of friends who show any signs of being concerned?

Reply]
Some of the guys I do Kung fu with do, BUT I don't think they are concerned on the scale "I" am. i think they fear recession, and not having as much free spending money. All my other friends are thinking about possible job cuts, and thier plans revolve around keeping an eye out for new jobs.

your group needs to be a bunch of people you can trust with your life and your families life.

Reply]
The only guy I know with any plan what so ever is not someone I would want to depend on in a crisis. That and he and I have different ideas about how to do things. He's also kind of shady, which is why I keep my distance even though he was my best freind growing up. In addition, his plans are not well thought out, and consist of going to his ex Fatherinlaw's ranch in Montana. His ex wife and I pretty much can't stand each other, and she would never allow me there.

Find the right people not just a bunch of guys and girls.

Reply]
Now THAT is the hard part, aint it?

big thing is to have a plan. Know where you are going and how you are going to get there.

Reply]
I have a loose plan, more of a concept really. It basically revolves around various skills developed out of hobbies I have had for my whole life. With a bit of extra effort in certain areas, i can live off the land I am sure.The basic plan would be to identify the problem areas, and go to the largest wilderness area, furthest from it. Also bringing with back packing and archery gear and a small assortment of books on identifying edible plants to continue exploring my hobbies, thus feeding myself, and alleviating boardom at the same time.

Make some preparations. Also check with the Newbies coming on now. A lot of these follks are looking for connections to people in their area as well. Also look at areas you may plan to go to.

Reply]
That is sort of what i am doing with this thread.

Do you plan to stay in place where you are? Best wishes to you from Texas.

Reply]
I am in Westmont IL. We are a good ways out from the parts of Chicago I predict problems to occure.

Based on where we are, the troubles would probably start in certain areas in Chicago first, thus giving plenty of warning to make an exit. The rough plan is to retreat to a campgrounds about 2 hours from home, and then assess the situation before making other plans.

Since I like to camp, I generally have all my gear packed and ready to go again as soon as I return from my previous, most recent trip. I have many a times decided to go camping on a whim and been loaded and heading to my destination in 10-20 minutes from making the decision to go. All I need to do is grab my back pack toss it in the car and go. It's allways pre loaded with deyhdrated soup stock, a change of cloths (BDU's, clean socks, and underwear, shirts etc...), so planing a bug out is not an issue, my hobbies have that accounted for automatically.

I have any number of camping destinations to go to, and my pack has a map marked with a very secluded cabin belonging to an ex girlfreind in the Appalachians as well.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Chicago Near north suburbs here.

So I have been enjoying the "What does your group consist of?" thread the last few days, but have noticed that I really don't have a group at all.

I think this is in part due to the fact that I have not thought about disasters much, and have perused most of my skills due to a general interest in developing the skills themselves more than out of a fear that I may actually need them to survive a crisis.

But after reading through that thread, I started thinking that it might not be bad to know other like minded people from my area, especially if this country really goes south (and it looks like it will).

So with that said, how many people here are in the Chicago area, and close to the southwest suburbs in particular?
Near north suburbs here.:thumb:

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of range is Maxxons? Gun, or Archery?

OZZIEPOM,
Gurnee is way up there!! Although I occasionally see cars in that area as well!
I am way south, by Oakbrook.

I am thinking that maybe after a few more chime in, we should all meet talk shop.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey there Aurora here i am always up to meet local like minded folks.... Myself and Herd Sniper have met but as is typical of forums most other folks here will talk but never act so if you are serious about meeting we are pretty close send me a email [email protected]

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am in Westmont myself. I spent a few years hanging out at the green room, and am rather familiar with the Aurora area. I used to work at a bodyshop on Front and high st. Every day after work i would go practice Kung fu at Island park in North Aurora as well.

I am definitely up for a meet up. I generally meet with freinds to practice Kuntao on Saturday mornings, but I am free after that. What does your schedule look like?

·
Registered
330 Posts
You may consider dropping subtle hints around your freinds and see who bites. Heck, I found out a guy I kinda knew for years was into preparing only recently at a pig roast.

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have observed them all long enough. The only one who even has sort of an idea of a plan is kind of a scoundrel. He would cause more trouble than anything I think.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Maxxons

What kind of range is Maxxons? Gun, or Archery?

OZZIEPOM,
Gurnee is way up there!! Although I occasionally see cars in that area as well!
I am way south, by Oakbrook.

I am thinking that maybe after a few more chime in, we should all meet talk shop.
Maxxons is a small gun shop with both a pistol and rifle/shotgun indoor range. Total of 10 indoor stations... good people and knowledgeable staff.:thumb:

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Maxxons is a small gun shop with both a pistol and rifle/shotgun indoor range. Total of 10 indoor stations... good people and knowledgeable staff.:thumb:
Reply]
Sounds like a fun place! I need to work on my shooting skills (guns) I am weak in that area. I am an OK shot up to about 50 yards, with a bow though.

·
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
south or south west in Bolingbrook here
Reply]
You are practically in my back yard then!! In fact, I blew by you on 55 on my way to play some Kuntao this morning!

We should probably get together.

rogue, jdbuck69, you and me are all fairly close to one another. We should probably all have a group meeting some time.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts