Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
The Lieutenant
1,620 Posts
I bought their water bottle & cup kit with cup lid and fish mouth spreader bail. Picked up a MOLLE water bottle bag to fit it off eBay prior to the purchase. I consider it quality gear. Sign up on their website and receive their postings. They have decent sales, especially around holidays. And when coming out with new gear/kits. That's when to buy. Sign up at Battlebox too, they sell a lot of great gear and have a lot of sales. I think I might have bought my second Pathfinder water bottle kit through Battlebox.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Most of their gear can be had elsewhere cheaper. You're paying for the logo of a business whose founder lied about his military career to get rich.

·
BASS
2,095 Posts
Most of their gear can be had elsewhere cheaper. You're paying for the logo of a business whose founder lied about his military career to get rich.

Politicians do it all the time. Do they even apologize? No! I wonder how many people lied during job interviews.

He told the interviewers what they wanted to hear. I understand your views but its old history. Enough already about bashing him.

·
Registered
21,777 Posts
discovery channel told him going in they were looking for military background, he embellished his record to fit what they were asking for. wrong? absolutely. but it doesn't change the quality of his knowledge and instruction, which is still some of the best in the world. he has also apologized publicly.

since I happened upon him for the first time well after his time on Dual Survival, I judged him only by what came after. and what came after was solid.

as far as the gear is concerned, it's durable, reliable, and reasonably priced for the most part.

Reactions: gundog10

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Politicians do it all the time. Do they even apologize? No! I wonder how many people lied during job interviews.

He told the interviewers what they wanted to hear. I understand your views but its old history. Enough already about bashing him.
So your standards are as of Pencilneck Rep Adam Schiff. And you believe in lying on interviews. Got it.

2012 is "old history"?

·
Registered
21,777 Posts
So your standards are as of Pencilneck Rep Adam Schiff. And you believe in lying on interviews. Got it.

2012 is "old history"?
i doubt there's any man alive who hasn't lied, or at least stretched the truth, a time or two in his life

the difference is some people make a habit of it, and some don't

·
BASS
2,095 Posts

2012 is "old history"?

SIZE="4"].

BS! You want to turn words around just like Adam Schitt and Pololsi does. Don't ever compare me to any of those S___ Bags. My standards are probably way above yours BTW.

I worked in construction it was put up or shut up! You were quickly judged by what you could actually do or not do. I had my first Carpenter Foreman's job at 25. I was all the way up to Construction Manager before I retired.

[/SIZE]

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

Lying on a job interview and stolen valor are not even remotely the same.

·
Registered
21,777 Posts
Lying on a job interview and stolen valor are not even remotely the same.
he was in the military, iirc however he was an MP or somesuch

again, he didn't walk around with fake medals on his chest, it literally was lying on a job interview, some come down off your high horse

Canterbury is a top notch survival instructor and the stuff he sells is decent. Was 8 years ago and he has moved on, guess some people can't

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is about equipment, not history or ethics.

Now, is there anything he carries that's truly outstanding?

Anything to completely avoid?

The various canteen/cooking sets look like excellent buys. I actually found his site while looking for wool blankets for camping. Anyone have first hand experience with those, or can suggest some?

I'm mostly looking for cooking gear, shelter, and sleeping gear at this point.

·
Registered
21,777 Posts
so let me state first off i am not an expert, just an opinionated dude

i feel like the belmont blanket he has on his store is overpriced for what it is, i'm not sure what the draw of it is however there's a couple other blankets that are reasonably priced.

the cooksets are somewhat unique in that the canteen is wide mouth and about 7 ounces bigger than a standard canteen, with a slightly larger canteen cup as well. they're made of stainless, so they won't be as light as titanium.

most of his other cookset stuff looks good but i doubt he uses all the stuff he sells.

the knives on the site look good, and some are surprisingly affordable.

i picked up some sail needles there. might be some other useful things here and there.

it's a mixed bag. some stuff on there is overpriced. other stuff is just right.

Reactions: SheepDog68

·
reluctant sinner
17,545 Posts
Out of all those "survival guys" I liked Dave.

I think his stuff is good but cost way more than it needs too. I like his poncho design and I'll be making one along those lines for a lot less than 50% of his price not counting the high shipping.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What I really like about his cooksets is that they seem like well thought out COMPLETE sets, just add fire. I'm sure he doesn't use everything he sells either, but different people have different needs and preferences. When it's time to buy I'll certainly look around for better deals but I definitely like the idea of turnkey kits.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
This is about equipment, not history or ethics.

Now, is there anything he carries that's truly outstanding?

Anything to completely avoid?

The various canteen/cooking sets look like excellent buys. I actually found his site while looking for wool blankets for camping. Anyone have first hand experience with those, or can suggest some?

I'm mostly looking for cooking gear, shelter, and sleeping gear at this point.
Considering the original post asked the following question: "Is anyone familiar with Self Reliance Outfitters gear?", My post was on topic. But okay, ethics aside, as I said above, most of his gear can be had for a better price elsewhere. You are paying for a logo. And an exorbitant shipping price.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
he was in the military, iirc however he was an MP or somesuch

again, he didn't walk around with fake medals on his chest, it literally was lying on a job interview, some come down off your high horse

Canterbury is a top notch survival instructor and the stuff he sells is decent. Was 8 years ago and he has moved on, guess some people can't
Really? Would you buy my product if I lied and told you I was an army ranger? I'm a bit more careful with whom I support with my funds.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts