Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently carry a Glock 27 in an ankle glove from Galco and can do so in all regular cuts pants without going a size larger. Granted im tall but my pants are never really baggy. The only limitation I would see would be slim or straight leg jeans and I dont wear either.

I saw a Glock 29 today next to a 27 for the first time and it doesnt seem all that much larger and its 10 rounds of 10mm!

Is a Glock 30 and the 29 the same size? What does the SF mean on these two?

Can the 29 take 20 mags and the 30 take the mags of the 21?

Does anyone ankle carry one? Not sure how much harder it would be than a 27 but my 27 is almost allways on my ankle.

·
Prov 3:18
2,236 Posts
The 29 and 30 are the same size externally.The SF stands for slim frame(earlier versions had slightly larger grip size).The 29/30 always seemed to equate to the 19/23/32 size to me except in grip length.I'm sure there are ankle holsters for them,but I think the weight wold be more of an issue than with the 27 as the slide is both thicker and longer.You would really have to try it to see if it works for you.

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glock 27 without extension is 4.17 inches high and 6.29 in length. The width is 1.18 inches.

Glock 29 is 6.77 in length, 4.45 in height, and 1.27 in width. My Glock 27 with the extension might actually be longer than the 29 with a standard mag. Oh, I also have the crimson trace grip mounted laser grips on the 27 that mount on the sides of the grip panels. This would also make my 27 possibly wider than the .29...

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The formula that I used for size comparison between a Glock 29 and 27
Glock 29 - Glock 27=

length difference 0.48

height difference 0.28

Width difference 0.09

The Glock 27 mag extension adds .5 to 1 inch to the length. This is because its slanted. The Crimson Trace grups add 1.50 laser to slide and 1.5 grip to grip. I might be good to go with a naked Glock 29.

Loaded weight of a Glock 29 is 32.98
27 without the extension is 26.98. Add the weight of the extension, laser 1.80 oz, batteries, and two more rounds and they are close since I carry 180 grain rounds.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
The frame on a Glock 29 is the same as the Glock 30, 45 acp. Fatter. Heavier. But if you can ankle carry it, more power to ya. I carry my 30 strongside paddle holster... Accurate little bastards, both the 27 and 30!!!!!

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Realistically, only if you're Arnie.

Seriously, I only know of one LEO who tried and kept carrying his 30 for more than a day. Most either changed to a different rig or went back to the 26/27 platform. It does become that bulky.

·
READY&ABLE
1,271 Posts
so how is it on a full run with that thing attacted to your ankle? I could never grasp the idea of a ankle holster, you can only grab the gun when and if you bend down or on the ground...and if your struggling with someone, theres no way you will be able to reach down and grap that pistol without taking some blows to the face.....

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Not really. Nobody makes one that I know of. Galco, Kramer, Bulman, Rosen and others all make an ankle holster for the Glock 27 and it's a good rig. I have one myself and loan it out now and again.

The Kahr PM series is the best of the sub-compact handguns and ideally suited for ankle carry. You pay for them but they are excellent.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
I carried a G-17 or 22 and a G-27 in an ankle rig, also a Ruger SpeedSix .357, from time to time. It does take some getting used to, and practic to learn to draw, etc. is required. Takes some getting used to with the weight on one foot so you don't walk funny and stumble when you run.

·
Molon Labe
6,052 Posts
Do not listen to these nay sayers FS. I ankle carry a G29 every day. I"ve found it's very fast to get to when wearing shorts. This should suite you fine being in Forida.
We're not allowed to open carry in Florida so carring any weapon in an ankle holster and wearing shorts will more than likely get you laughed at and arrested.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Anything is possible. I can tell you I just sold my G30SF because it was a brick. I compared it to the size of G23 and figured it wouldn't be too much different. I carry on the belt and could tell the difference in weight and thickness right away.

·
Anti-Raider Patrol
413 Posts
I do hope nobody took the shorts with ankle holster comment serious. On ankle holsters though, I think they are more useful than most people give them credit for. I wear a G27 on my ankle as backup to my G22 while at work. I also wear this to certain events when I can't wear anything on my waist like church. Sometimes on road trips I like to ankle carry. I feel like I could lean down and draw much faster than trying to raise a shirt while batteling with a seatbelt while sitting in my truck.

Also I just bought a G29. I wore it all day today on my ankle starting with church then going out to eat with wife's family. I then wore it to my work Christmas party and just finally took it off a little bit ago at 3:30 am. I'm sitting in my car right now working a part time job (rough life). I was fine wearing it but again I am used to my 27.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.