Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. It seems like a decent choice to me because you can do real tight quarters stuff, along with the ability to reach out pretty far with slugs. If you get it just right you can carry a decent amount of ammo too.

Just wanting to know your opinions thanks to all repliers

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,844 Posts
It all depends on what kind of S hits the fan

Look at all situations, not just one

Be prepared for all the different ones

Shotguns are for big globs of S up close

Rifles are for many pieces of S at medium to long ranges

Handguns are for fighting your way through S to get to your long arms and just in case you encounter some other kind of S when you can't carry a long arm

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Just wondering. It seems like a decent choice to me because you can do real tight quarters stuff, along with the ability to reach out pretty far with slugs. If you get it just right you can carry a decent amount of ammo too.

Hi-Cap Pistol to Carbine to Bug-In Rifle at a BOL.

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
The desirability (or not) of a shotgun as a "SHTF weapon", however you chose to define that, has been discussed here ad nauseum, and the answers that you're going to get to your question are predictable.....

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Home invasion yes. SHTF no. I want more ammo and more accuracy. You know how much 12g ammo weighs. It is more "versatile" but that means you have to carry more types.

Sorry. AR-15 or AK in .223. Less recoil. More accuracy, more range, more ammo. Less weight.

·
Registered
912 Posts

It really depends on your skill with the shotgun....my buddy a few months ago was hitting man size targets at 200 yards with slugs....I dropped a goose at 94 yards with mine.....for a lot of people...a 12 gauge would be a bad choice for them not only for lack of skill but your surrounding area will play a role in your choice....for my...my 12 gauge is the first thing I grab

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Yes it is my go to gun because I only have a handgun and 22 pistol and rifle!

Saving up for an AR right now...
The cheapest ones can be found new for sub $1000 prices.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
It really depends. It's a valuable tool, yes. I can effectively engage things well out past 100 yards with it, and within 100 yards, it's absurd. The issue is capacity, weight of and size of ammo, follow-up shot capability due to recoil, etc.

If I could only grab 1 weapon I have to survive in Alaska or any wilderness, it would be the Benelli. If I were in an urban area, one of my Daniel Defense M4gerys and one of my cans would do much better.

So, it depends on your SHTF...is it urban or rural? Are people or nature the main concern?

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
It really depends on your skill with the shotgun....my buddy a few months ago was hitting man size targets at 200 yards with slugs....I dropped a goose at 94 yards with mine.....for a lot of people...a 12 gauge would be a bad choice for them not only for lack of skill but your surrounding area will play a role in your choice....for my...my 12 gauge is the first thing I grab
My land doesn't have a shot on it longer than about 150 yards even in the winter. In summer with the foliage, I would say 25-75 yards max. That 150 yards is shooting ridge-top to ridge-top at an angle and all sorts of trickery to actually pull off the yardage. Not practical concern. Just "physically possible". Like a man who lives in a sky-scraper saying he has a 400 ft shot (down the side of the building) in his home structure.

At 50 yards I can tear a ragged hole with slugs. At 200 yards, I can hit a 14x18" gong 1 out of 5 times. Not because of inaccuracy but because the elevation required obscures the target when using slugs+irons. With an RDS, I could do MUCH better. I would draw my limit of "can drop something man-sized with 1 trigger pull if we both sit still, every time!" at about 125 yards.

It's 50 yards and in that the buckshot also becomes effective (rural area where stray pellets aren't a big deal)

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
so pretty far is 75 yards to you
To some people, yes. Here is how my property looks in the summer and then in the winter. A 75 yard shot is a decent distance. However, the shotgun smooth-bore should be employable out to 100 yards, 125-150 yards if you know your business, and that's my experience with just cheap Remington Sluggers.

So, as you can see, 125 yards covers a very VERY long distance on MY property. 75 yards covers a ton of distance, for that matter. Many others have similar situations where a shotgun is a serious force to be reckoned with within any reasonable distance a shot could be taken.

·
Registered
912 Posts
My land doesn't have a shot on it longer than about 150 yards even in the winter. In summer with the foliage, I would say 25-75 yards max. That 150 yards is shooting ridge-top to ridge-top at an angle and all sorts of trickery to actually pull off the yardage. Not practical concern. Just "physically possible". Like a man who lives in a sky-scraper saying he has a 400 ft shot (down the side of the building) in his home structure.

At 50 yards I can tear a ragged hole with slugs. At 200 yards, I can hit a 14x18" gong 1 out of 5 times. Not because of inaccuracy but because the elevation required obscures the target when using slugs+irons. With an RDS, I could do MUCH better. I would draw my limit of "can drop something man-sized with 1 trigger pull if we both sit still, every time!" at about 125 yards.

It's 50 yards and in that the buckshot also becomes effective (rural area where stray pellets aren't a big deal)
Ya that's what I was talking about with the last part of my comment....surrounding terrain will play a huge role in your firearm choice for BO....for you a shotgun would make a lot of sense with your turrain....a long range rifle wouldn't make sense in your area (I saw the pics you posted)...ya slugs aren't made to hit moving targets...they are made to destroy stationary targets lol

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Ya that's what I was talking about with the last part of my comment....surrounding terrain will play a huge role in your firearm choice for BO....for you a shotgun would make a lot of sense with your turrain....a long range rifle wouldn't make sense in your area (I saw the pics you posted)...ya slugs aren't made to hit moving targets...they are made to destroy stationary targets lol
I'm' just saying, I've shot at running/moving things with an M4 and watched a lot of other guys do it, too. Even on a 2D plane, the results were DISMAL!

Also, yep, you will note in my camping photo I was using a suppressed M4, but that very camping trip happened about 1 week after I sold my Benelli M1014, and that very camping trip on my property is what inspired me to begin building another Benelli M4 to my taste. I'm not SAI, but I've owned a bunch of Benelli M4's over the years and know what accessories work, and what I want, and what doesn't and I don't.

·
Registered
944 Posts
In my area, everybody has a shotgun or 3. Rural cornfield, woods, or basic farm all useful. Yep, ammo is heavy, they are cheap to buy, and spread a pattern when fired. My HD shotgun has 00 Buck, #4, Slugs(Deer). Lot of ordnance on demand.
Wife and sons all shoot them, also a couple of 22lrs, and 45ACPs. Have owned AKs, and ARs, and sold them off for Survival gear/preps.
12ga shells can be found anywhere. Works for me.

Add: Wouldn't think twice if all I had was an Ak or AR. They carry well, mags a plenty, pretty easy to fire with accuracy. The prices were going crazy, people bought at the high, and now have been slowly leveling off. With import restrictions on AKs, it will be crazy again. Ammo will go nuts too.

If you can get two of each and be prepped.

·
Dumpster Diver
2,665 Posts
what is my scenario ? if i will be wandering in the wilderness for 5 years or something without resupply,, it would be one of my 22 rifles for the reason that I can carry a thousand rounds or more with the same effort as 100 12 ga shells

but in general,, having to grab only one weapon as my house was sucked up to Oz , and the ammo weight and bulk not being a consideration, nor expecting to be out there for more than a few weeks or couple months ...and especially if I am buggin with transport , even a bicycle with saddle baskets--- it would be my double barrel 12 , not the 30-30 (altho I would miss it ), not the 308,, not the SKS , not the Auto 5,, but the dead reliable, (hey it even has 2 firing pins) low maintenance double barrel

my thoughts on the 12 as a defense/protection weapon...

1. I fully intend to avoid conflict, in fact avoid contact
2. it is the only firearm I trust to definitely absolutely stop someone or something(s) advancing on me
3. I live in the forested , ridged , Northeast= seldom can you see more than 50 to 100 yards,, unless you are standing on an interstate
4. If I can see anyone far enough away to need a rifle , that means someone can see me that far...
I do not intend to let that happen, if it does,, I could be shot before I even know he is there
5. If I can utilize adequate cover, the range of my weapon is not that much a concern,, I will remain in that cover until an opponent tires of waiting and moves on... or decides to come investigate whether he has killed me,,
with truly adequate cover, he can do me no harm unless he comes well within range of the shotgun
6. I really like roast duck

1 - 20 of 158 Posts