Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three different Surefire Flash lights all of which unfortunately take very expensive 123 batteries. With three + 50 dollar flash lights I still carry a 15 dollar Gerber Firecracker as part of my EDC. What about you? I feel that it is way to expensive and impractical to carry an flashlight like this. I want to know what everyone carries and IF they carry an "expensive" light why?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I have three different Surefire Flash lights all of which unfortunately take very expensive 123 batteries. With three + 50 dollar flash lights I still carry a 15 dollar Gerber Firecracker as part of my EDC. What about you? I feel that it is way to expensive and impractical to carry an flashlight like this. I want to know what everyone carries and IF they carry an "expensive" light why?
My EDC torches are:
Quark 123^2 Turbo with recessed tail switch clicky (pants pocket)
Fenix LD01 Stainless Steel (key chain)
Zebralight H501 (Headlight, rides in jacket pocket, if i'm not wearing a jacket it stays at home, not enough room to carry it otherwise)

My recently retired EDC torch that has been replaced by the Quark was Fenix TK10 (retired because I wanted something with more throw and a protected tail switch to prevent accidental turn on)

The torch in my BOB is currently a Fenix TK20.

The above lights are reasonably pricey but i have no problems EDC'ing them because I dont lose them, and I do use them fairly regularly so its nice to have good torches.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I EDC a streamlight stylus pro. 24 lumes is enough to light up a room or wiring closet. It runs off 2 AAA's and is good for about 7 hours.

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
I EDC a Fenix LD20

I have a wind up Torch in my BOB
Also a Petzl Tactikka
Im going to add another fenix soon

All use AA or AAA in alkaline or lithium batteries found everywhere!

·
Builder
167 Posts
Flashlights are another one of my addictions…….headlights, surefire, led maglights, d cell, and mini mags, regular old maglights (in case EMP gets the led stuff).:cool: I have them everywhere, in bags, hanging on walls, in vehicles, heck, there is a mini mag on the desk here behind my monitor… yeah I think I have problems….:xeye:

97 Posts
I also carry LED lights since they last a very long time and are plenty bright enough. We keep one in each car, one in each BOB, plus a pen light for everyone in the party including the kids. I also have extra batteries stashed everywhere.

As a joke gift last Christmas, we received baseball caps that have a built-in LED light on the bill. You push a hidden button and they turn into a decent headlamp. Those are also stashed near the BOBs, just in case. Hey, you never know!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Always got lights on me!

1. Olight AAA Titanium on the keys - tiny, stylish, strong.
2. 4Sevens Quark AA2 clipped in the pocket - Versatile modes, rugged, high output, AA powered, compact enough for the pocket, very light if powered by lithiums although I usually run eneloops. This one runs about $60, reasonable price I think.

And I will usually have some redundancies if I am carrying a bag.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
My EDC is a Nitecore Defender Infinity (single "AA") that I've had quite awhile.
I use it everyday to repair electronics. I use it to connect computers and equipment, find screws and parts, look down bores,
find key holes, the list goes on and on.
I'm the go to person if the power goes out at home or work.
Not to mention the emergency and tactical applications if I ever need it for that.
I count on it and feel lost without it so, I can justify the cost of it.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
I have a Fenix LD01 on my keychain as well. I also carry a Fenix L2D, and a Pelican Headsup headlamp LED with a spare red lens.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yep, got a S&W M&P 160 Lumen beast that takes CR123A's. Also have a decent $30 flashlight that takes common AAA batteries.

·
keep your powder dry
314 Posts
Those surefires you have are seriously high quality -- and like all things, you generally can benefit by buying in bulk. www.batteryjunction.com for CR123 batteries, decent ones can be had for $1/battery. I have a stockpile of over 30-40 CR123s sitting around ....

I edc a Fenix E01: 12+hrs of regulated (ie non-dimming) output on a lithium AAA battery. A Minimag LED and 4Sevens Quark AA are my car kit, and I have innumerable Surefire lights (at least 5) that I rotate on night EDC duty. In addition to another Fenix E01 I use for hiking, I keep an incandescent Surefire G2 with a spares carrier in my hiking pack.

www.candlepowerforums.com if you want more info on flashlights. Great site.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been using the in-expensive 9 led x 3AAA lights that you can get for $4 - $8 here.
Love them and use them all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think when you need a good light that's just what you need, I have a small LED on keyring and a good light E2 Surefire on belt, in BOB anyother good light and batteries, I worked nights for years always had two lights, one light is none and two lights are one, if it has batteries it can let you down just when you need it most, have a back up.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The most expensive lights I have are Mag lights. I carry them in both vehicles along with cheap head lights. I also keep one at work and have dozens at home.

I have used the head lamps to change tires on interstate at night. I paid 3.99 for them and they worked fine.

Recently at the check out at Home Depot there was a display of head lamps for I believe 9.97. There was 4 in the pack with batteries.

I do want to purchase one of the more expensive ones. I am impressed with results I see on NutNFancy's you tube reviews. However until I have that amount of disposable income I will stick with the less expensive but very serviceable alternatives.

·
I have control issues
5,976 Posts
I always have at least a couple of flashlights on me. In my purse, a small LED flashlight (It HAS to be small...my purse already weighs a ton!); another small LED flashlight on the "holster" where I carry my multitool; a larger flashlight in each vehicle (including my motorcycle) as well as a wind-up flashlight in both the car and the truck; each BOB has at LEAST one (if not 2) flashlight plus extra batteries (I especially like the small military crookneck lights with the different colored filters that I can clip onto the straps of my packs to leave my hands free); and I have a plethora of flashlights of different sizes/styles all over the house (in EVERY room, including different places in the basement). Umm...am I addicted to flashlights?

·
Forum Administrator
16,776 Posts
Even though people criticize them for being heavy, I like a 3 D cell maglight - in LED. The 2 D are good, but I think the 3 D are better.

Those little 123 powered lights might be bright, but lets see you beat a dog over the head with it. When there is a bump in the night, nothing beats a flashlight / billy club combo unit.

For my backpack, I have a ray-o-vac 3 watt led 2 - AA battery fashlight.

For a car / truck flashlight, I like the eco twister from EDCdepot

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,608 Posts
I've got flashlights all over the place, including in my BOB. I have a few weapon lights that use the 123 batteries, but I try and stick with AA or AAA. My BOB has an LED light powered by rechargeable AAs. I carry a small solar battery charger with me and spare batteries. I standardized my BOB items to all use AA batteries and they all run rechargeables. Even walking, I can pin the solar charger to my shoulder or pack and recharge batteries while I walk.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My EDC is a Fenix L1D. It uses 1 AA battery, yet produces 80 lumens! plus it has stobe and SOS mode. I can also dial it down to 14 lumens for 20 hours of run time.
In my GHB is a Petzl eLight. I find headlights to be more useful for most tasks. It has a couple of different brightness levels plus a red bulb.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts