Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Farmer/Film maker
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a medium sized box trap that I have taken skunks and woodchucks in and I would think that it would be useful in a survival situation because of this. however it is bulky, rattles slightly and is about 1.5lbs.

Pros
*A somewhat reliable source of small game
*Can be used as an extra container to carry more gear in
*Is quieter in the woods so as not to scare off other types of game
*in a pinch is a source of thick wire
*easily maintained

Cons
*is very bulky
*extra gear = extra weight
*to trap, one requires bait
*may be damaged/destroyed by large predators
*a catch is not guaranteed
*increases the difficulty of walking through to woods stealthily

·
El Cid, I hate hippies.
213 Posts
Snares are the way to go. You can get them online for next to nothing, you don't need bait and they work really well. Beyond that, the animal is usually incapacitated by a snare, this makes it safer for you. Also they never really get wise to snares, because they never really see them until it's too late. I have found with box traps that you will have around 20 failures for every success...then again maybe I am just not good with box traps. My snares cost less and work nearly every time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you have your own land consider Den Traps

http://www.survivalblog.com/2008/08/how_to_make_dentype_game_traps.html

Excellent article written on SB about den traps. IOW these are Dens that you make and animals move in them. When you need some meat just seal the entrance and remove the cover and harvest:thumb:

Snares are pretty good for their size and ease of use as well.

Of course a few box traps work well when you want to capture an animal alive.

Later,
ZA
www.zombieaxe.blogspot.com

·
Farmer/Film maker
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The main reasons I would take a box trap are as follows

It's not really that heavy.
It is easy to set and with the size I have i can catch a wide varity of wildlife.
I have had success with it.

For now I think I'll keep it in my kit and try to learn how to make effective snares, (one thing that I have not had much luck with at all) and deadfalls.

One disadvantage I see with a snare is in the event of catching a skunk. You will have a ticked off skunk suspeneded by a cable that you will have to cut free or kill, as apposed to having a uncomfortable skunk that one could take care of by calmly aproaching and flipping the trap over or putting it underwater for about a half hour.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think a box trap like that would be essential, and here's why: we often think of "survival" as being stranded....unexpectedly, and it probably often is, in which case we surely wouldn;t be carrying around a box trap. But like you have it, Rambo, is good because, when we need to bug out, even if it's for extended periods, we find a suitable spot and setup there. We're humans, that's what we do. We set up and start building and improving shelter, escape routes, defensive positions, setting traps, etc. In that scenario, I'm with you. Bring the box trap! :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts