Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if a .45 cal pistol is good enough as a side-arm to handle a hog. I know bigger is better, but I don't want to have to buy a another gun right now.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
As a sidearm, yes it will be fine. As a primary, I wouldn't try it. What did you plan on carrying a pistol for? To put it out of its misery?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We'll, I'm going to use my 30-06 with a scope. I was worried if one pops out of no where (its happen before) if 1-2-or 3 .45 slugs would take care of it. I'm really looking for a trophy hog, at least 2" cutters. I've always used my shot gun, use a slug in the chamber and 00 buck in the tube in case one decides to charge.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I often carry mine around here with some 260gr soft points loaded to +P levels for just such occasions when I am working around the property. I have shot one thus far and it seemed to work just fine. It was shot through the rib cage and went all the way through the hog. I would have enjoyed the luxury of more fudge factor and been carrying my Ruger Black Hawk in 44 mag though.

While not optimal its adequate in my opinion.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Are you talking .45ACP or .45 Colt? Either would do, but you have a little more leeway to shoot heavier bullets in the .45 Colt. With the .45ACP, I would stick to 230 gr FMJ, for better penetration. For frontal shots, that is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts