Votes: 11 10.3%
  • No I think that it still has a place in the ammo market

Votes: 96 89.7%
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a Ruger 10/22 never liked the round personally and sold the gun not long after getting it. With .22 prices now at about the same level as 9mm and .223/7.62 is it worth getting in to anymore? Personally I found them to be dirty and simply not worth it for anything other than maybe hunting rabbits and other small animals. If you have ammo stockpiled then great but for anyone that doesn't have it already I simply don't think its worth it. What do you guys think has .22lr become the next .40S&W

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first question is,where are you buying 9 mm that is nearly the same price as 22?
Where I live the round never went back down much after the last big ammo run and stayed around the price of other lager bullets due to the demand never stopping. The difference between a box of 50 9mm federal and 100 CCI 22lr (only ones I found that ran clean) is 5 bucks a box at most and personally I would rather train with my sidearm than with a 22 target pistol. Also and this might be because I own an AK not an AR that there isn't actually a huge price difference between the ammo.

·
Super Moderator
15,728 Posts
Fair enough. Sounds like a local issue. Online and around where I have lived 9mm is about twice as much.

·
Wearing fur underwears...
3,116 Posts
My first question is,where are you buying 9 mm that is nearly the same price as 22?
X 2! And 9mm price went up too, along with everything else.

I love a .22 for portability, relative quiet, and nearly zero recoil. It's relative short maximum range is not a bad thing either. The price is higher lately, but it's roughly a third of the price of 9mm. Comparing mid-price .22 to cheaper 9mm.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
X 2! And 9mm price went up too, along with everything else.

I love a .22 for portability, relative quiet, and nearly zero recoil. It's relative short maximum range is not a bad thing either. The price is higher lately, but it's roughly a third of the price of 9mm. Comparing mid-price .22 to cheaper 9mm.
9mm went up but came back down a bit after the rush ended .22lr didn't really change at all.

·
3,116 Posts
Where I live the round never went back down much after the last big ammo run and stayed around the price of other lager bullets due to the demand never stopping. The difference between a box of 50 9mm federal and 100 CCI 22lr (only ones I found that ran clean) is 5 bucks a box at most and personally I would rather train with my sidearm than with a 22 target pistol. Also and this might be because I own an AK not an AR that there isn't actually a huge price difference between the ammo.
I don't understand. That is roughly what it is here now. Unless you are paying drastically different prices. So the Minimags are $10/100, and the 9mm is $15/50. So the CCI is $5 per 50 and the 9mm is 3 times that.

I am not finding 7.62 as cheap as .22 either. And the cheapest stuff is corrosive and non-reloadable.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't understand. That is roughly what it is here now. Unless you are paying drastically different prices. So the Minimags are $10/100, and the 9mm is $15/50. So the CCI is $5 per 50 and the 9mm is 3 times that.

I am not finding 7.62 as cheap as .22 either. And the cheapest stuff is corrosive and non-reloadable.
last CCI 22lr I saw was 10 bucks.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I have well over 30 different chamberings, from things like 44-40 and 30-40 to .50BMG.

Anyone who doesn't have a place for a .22 has never fired a suppressed .22.

I haven't been looking and I've picked up 2k of .22 for $0.06 or less (post tax)

Not like in the day when I squirreled back over 50k and everyone thought I was crazy, but I smell much sour grapes in the OP.

.22 LR has been around for 100 years, and .22 goes back much further. (First S&W IIRC)

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have well over 30 different chamberings, from things like 44-40 and 30-40 to .50BMG.

Anyone who doesn't have a place for a .22 has never fired a suppressed .22.

I haven't been looking and I've picked up 2k of .22 for $0.06 or less (post tax)

Not like in the day when I squirreled back over 50k and everyone thought I was crazy, but I smell much sour grapes in the OP.

.22 LR has been around for 100 years, and .22 goes back much further. (First S&W IIRC)
A 45 is about as good as a 22 suppressed and I already said I don't really like the round myself.

·
3,116 Posts
last CCI 22lr I saw was 10 bucks.
Me too! That was for 100 Minimags, which is twice as many as comes in a box of 50. :confused:

And recently I picked up 500 Blazers for $37. I would be waiting in the gun store a long time to find a box of 9mm for $3.70.

Reactions: doczeus

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
I still use the .22 LR for small pest control around the farm here. Anything smaller than woodchucks. BUT, what I use is CCI Quiet, on skunks and muskrats, which have become a major PITA this winter and spring. I'd use one on a rat if I ever saw one when I had the gun in my hand, which I never do. CCI Quiet does the job, and doesn't scare the livestock, and doesn't go far if it ricochets. I use it in an old Stevens Favorite that I rebarreled last year. Small, light, quick to deploy from the kitchen door. There is no centerfire round made that would substitute. I only use 50 rounds or so a year, but I'd buy more if I hadn't bought a brick about 4 years ago.

BTW the Quiet will stop a cottontail quite nicely, if I ever wanted to eat rabbit. Ditto squirrels, if I had any. Just don't try for any shot beyond 30 yards or so.

All my HV .22 ammo just lies on the shelf. I've still got at least 5,000 rounds going back to the Clinton administration. These days I get much better performance from handloading the .223 down to .22 magnum power levels, for use on woodchucks. Frangible 35 grain V-Max doesn't ricochet to endanger my neighbors or the cattle, but it kills chucks DRT at anything under 100 yards. Beyond that I don't bother.

If we get another ammo famine with crisis prisis, I may just sell off all the .22 HV ammo, and handload for my .25-20 and the .223 for the rest of my days. But I'll keep the little Favorite and a stock of CCI Quiet.

·
Never Give Up
624 Posts
A 45 is about as good as a 22 suppressed and I already said I don't really like the round myself.

What? I don't get it.

Ugh. Anyway online prices have .22LR substantially cheaper than 9mm and since I'm assuming buying ammo online is legal where you are.........if it somehow isn't than that probably perfectly explains your claimed price problems.

Also seeing CCI 100 round packs for $10 is normal here. Never see any 50 round packs.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What? I don't get it.

Ugh. Anyway online prices have .22LR substantially cheaper than 9mm and since I'm assuming buying ammo online is legal where you are.........if it somehow isn't than that probably perfectly explains your claimed price problems.

Also seeing CCI 100 round packs for $10 is normal here. Never see any 50 round packs.
a suppressed 45acp is about as quiet as a suppressed 22lr

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Its worth it for my family, my wife is disabled and cannot handle anything over 22LR and my 14 year old daughter cannot handle anything over 22LR either so for us it is worth it, everybody's situation is different and they will need to decide if it is a round they want to have available to them. I have it stacked deep and we are set for a lifetime of shooting as with all other calibers we have as well.

You can buy 100 rds of CCI HV 40 grain in clear jeweled cases for .08 per rd shipped to your door. The price isn't stellar by any means but 100 rds of 9mm is going to cost more the $8, probably double that amount...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.