Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized we have a big store nearby called Tractor Supply. I thought it was all about farm machinery but went in to look for something. This place is awesome. It has everything. There is a section for medical supplies for farm animals, including hypodermic needles and the medicine to go with them, in a big refrigerator. They have gallon jugs of iodine that says it's for cow's udders. I was wondering if anyone knew if it's pure iodine or is there something else in it. The label was confusing. A couple of years ago I heard the gov was pulling iodine off the shelves. I found one tiny bottle at Walmart pharmacy. It was behind the counter and they asked me what I wanted it for. ??? Anyway, I had read that iodine is good for radiation poisening. I was just wondering if anyone knew if the stuff at the store is pure iodine or what?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
You would be much better off getting the Iodine/potassium pills than trying to calculate doses from a jug. Back to your question.. yes, people do use vet. meds if they have dosage calculation knowledge.

JMO.. not medical advice

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Anyway, I had read that iodine is good for radiation poisening.
Your thinking of Potassium Iodide. I recommend you read through this link for more information. Your comparing 2 totally different things.

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/radiation/ki.asp

Potassium iodide (also called KI) is a salt of stable (not radioactive) iodine.

How does KI work?

The thyroid gland cannot tell the difference between stable and radioactive iodine and will absorb both. KI works by blocking radioactive iodine from entering the thyroid. When a person takes KI, the stable iodine in the medicine gets absorbed by the thyroid. Because KI contains so much stable iodine, the thyroid gland becomes “full” and cannot absorb any more iodine—either stable or radioactive—for the next 24 hours.

Iodized table salt also contains iodine; iodized table salt contains enough iodine to keep most people healthy under normal conditions. However, table salt does not contain enough iodine to block radioactive iodine from getting into your thyroid gland. You should not use table salt as a substitute for KI.

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,546 Posts
TSC is great!

I stock vet iodine.

It is used for washing wounds. I use it topically on our livestock and myself every time that I suture a wound.

It is also used as a supplement if your having systemic-fungi infections.

Many veterans have this type of crotch-rot infection, the topical ointments kill the surface 'bloom' but not the fungus.

I handle sphagnum moss and peat a lot. They are both known for having other symbiotic fungi in them which can enter into you when you handle these mosses. Internal fungi infections are a pain to get rid of. So I take an iodine supplement as a maintenance dose to combat these fungus.

It is not Potassium Iodine, but it is still iodine. Potassium-Iodine use focuses on trying to help your thyroid when your subject to high radiation.

:)

They both have their uses, and should both be in your medical cabinet.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
TSC is great!

It is also used as a supplement if your having systemic-fungi infections.

Many veterans have this type of crotch-rot infection, the topical ointments kill the surface 'bloom' but not the fungus.

Internal fungi infections are a pain to get rid of. So I take an iodine supplement as a maintenance dose to combat these fungus.

It is not Potassium Iodine, but it is still iodine. Potassium-Iodine use focuses on trying to help your thyroid when your subject to high radiation.

:)

They both have their uses, and should both be in your medical cabinet.
+1 I'v been fighting this since I got out, along with unidentifiable rashes, allergies.

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,546 Posts
If never treated, crotch-rot will bloom, crack your skin and bleed. You put voodoo cream on it and maybe it will go away for a few weeks. But those creams only address the bloom of the organism. It is a fungus, it is inside you.

Just like a mushroom on a log in the woods, most of the mushroom plant is inside the dead log, what you see on the outside it the plants' bloom. Picking the bloom does not kill the organism.

I know men who have been tormented by rot for decades, before they finally got a medical professional to stop and pay attention. Far too often they are given a cream to treat the bloom of the fungus.

Since I handle peat, I did some research and I learned about the dangers of handling peat. More research, lead me to studies where vets have been helped by iodine supplements.

Silver would likely also do the trick for you. However I am on-the-fence about becoming a smurf.

So I use iodine. It is cheap in the 1-gallon jugs. :)

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,546 Posts
Properly made colloidal silver won't turn your skin blue. That's silver chloride and a few other silver salts. How does one find proper dosing for using iodine internally?
The offical US RDA for Iodine is 150 micrograms (mcg) for adults per day.

I was at a workshop where two Doctors said that the US RDA is likely to have been set far too low.

If I remember correctly they said that Japan set their RDA at nearly three times the US level [like 400mcg], and they have only a fraction of the American thyroid problems.

I was told to not go over 1,000mcg [or 1milli-gram] per day. If you exceed 2milli-grams per day, it may bring on heart issues.

I did the math, I dilute into a secondary bottle and from this diluted solution I put drops each day into my coffee.

In my solution 5 drops gives me about 500mcg. Which I have only done when I have suffered from fungal blooming. [After a few days my crotch rot cleared up].

Otherwise I do 2 or 3 drops each day [200 to 300 mcg].

Come to think about it, after I started this I had one bout of crotch rot. As I said I increased my dose and after a couple days it went away, then after a week I went back down to my normal maintenance dose. That has been 2 years now, without any more crotch rot.

So from my experience, what works for me, is 200 to 300 mcg per day. With maybe going as high as 500mcg if needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.