Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about $11,000 in a smaller retirement fund from my last place of employment that I can't add any more funds to, it's just sitting there riding the wave. (I could technically roll it into an IRA). My current state job has a pretty good retirement plan that could see my needs just fine assuming the world doesn't fall completely apart.

So I've started toying with taking the hit on that money to pull it out for WSHTF investing. ($8,000ish after penalties). I already have a lot of the essentials squared away (food, retreat, guns, ammo, etc...), I'm just looking for a way to diversify. I figure if my current retirement fund will get me by, then this fund could be used to 'hedge my bets'. The wife is only on board if I use this for strictly investment purposes. My only three options as I see it, and the pluses / minuses are:

Gold / Silver - Maybe not a guaranteed 'gain', but will hopefully at least hold its value. If SHTF, it could arguably be used for trading. I'm 99% sure we're going to see some pretty hefty inflation in the future. I haven't seen ANYTHING that contradicts that.

Guns - Have .308, .223, .22, and .45 covered with a couple thousand rounds each. In your opinion do guns historically combat inflation? My gut says yes, but I've never seen numbers to prove it. Am I better off to by 10+ black rifle variants and sit on them? Or could future legislation make them hard to sell so it doesn't matter if they're worth $5,000 a piece. Doesn't do me any good if I can't sell them.

Ammo - Again how practical is this from an 'investment' stand point? Sure the price is going up, but if in 25 years when I retire can I actually sell the stuff privately to pay for my 35' Airstream? :D:

If it helps to know a little about me so you can give advise. My only debt is two houses, and a boat that is tied into my side business so to me it is acceptable. I have a fairly secure state job, and make an okay amount on the side. I do think that it will hit the fan, and preparing for a few years of social disorder is how I'm prepping the rest of my logistics. I just don't want to bank EVERYTHING on hoping the world goes down the crapper. This won't subtract from my 2+ years of food storage or anything like that. I just want to diversify my retirement plan while prepping for the worse.

What would you do? Or should I just leave the money alone and not take the $3,000 - $4,000 hit? Basically I'd get all of my original contributions back and just lose the interest that's been gained over the last 9 years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are going to invest in Gold/Silver, you can set up a self directed IRA that invests in Gold and Silver bullion. For more information, check out Bullion Direct to see how that works. I am sure there are other firms that you could use to do this, but from their website, you can see what this option looks like. By continuing as an IRA, you would not take the penalty hit.

By the way, I am not a financial planner and this is not financial advice :D:.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Look the question is do think are we just looking at hard time for a few years or more or do you think that our current society will collapse into a bartering/trading system? If you think that thing will be though for a few years and you need to take a 30% hit, then in my opinion guns and ammo are not good money making tool (As an investment to later sell of a profit) unless SHTF truly. There are ways to make money today gold is high now and could go higher, but oil is low today but will go back up in the very near future. There is also foreign currency as the dollar falls is raises. Look from an investment to make a profit stand point, buy cheap and sell high. From a survivalist stand point and if you think the government will fail and we will be trading for goods, then and investment in Ammo or Food or Items that would be in need after a collapse; tools; medicine; fuel (on hand) are where you should put your money.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Leave it alone! Do not take the hit. If you are unsure about the market now, roll it into a roth IRA for a while. Your most important asset is your liquidity.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
investing in an item that you are going to resell is good. but i really reframe from selling items that could be used against me and /or kill me.

i dont know about barter or not ,possably. but we are most certainly heading for a economic collapse.

some gold /silver will always be good no matter which way it falls. or get it into a foriegn money dont keep it in dollars.

i think food will be a stronger bartering items specially spices you cant get in our country or in your local area.when we have a collapse all countries around the world will stop shipping to us, our money will have little to no value. so anything that is from another country you will not seen anymore, which any of those items will increase its trade value. i would rather trade someone a jar of sage than a box of 30-06. i would rather keep all ammo i have :thumb:

the gov will still be around but ALOT of services will be cut beacuse they cant aford to pay for all the employees so job cuts. services will be cut like welfare ,SSI,foodstamps...ect and the ones that are still in service will not be near as good with less ppl to do it all,and you will pay more taxes for those lesser services, like trash collecting instead of once a week. its once every 3 weeks. rolling blackouts, water works every other day, potholes in the roads never get filled...ect you say you got a gov job ? i hope its with the police or the military those will be the only areas not cut, accept their pay will be.

you could invest in you and your family. if you got kids buy stuff like shoes. buy the sizes they will need for the next 5yrs. all kinds of stuff soap,toothpaste/brushes,medicines..ect. when hyper inflation hits and hopefully prices only goes up 30%(we can only hope ) well the money you spent on those items now, you just save 30% of your money. thats alot better than haveing it in stockmarket loseing 50% or gaining a real good gain of 15%

the VERY best thing you could do 1st is get out of ALL debt. pay your house off. owe nothing get out of debt, free and clear.i got a bad feeling when we collapse eventually they are going to move us into a new monetary sys. to protect the banks.they will move it over to the amero and now $100= 1 amero but all bank contracts will be one for one 1 amero for $1 we owe. but all else will be like $100=1 amero to tranfer it to the amero. boy! i hope im wrong on that, but they did something very simular in argentina when all banks transfered every1 money which was in U.S. dollars to the argentina paso ,1paso=$1 but when the banks reopend the paso value droped 30% ,and all contracts was still in U.S. dollars and the paso was 30 paso = $10 .so they actually stole 30% of every1 money who had money in their banks.and made every1 house payments increase by 30% and every1 isnow being payed by the paso so they increased everyones debt by 60% by increaseing everyones debt by 30% and reduceing everyones pay by 30% .the world bankers was watching this very closely,it was a test run to see how well it would work. and it worked nicely for the bankers.if it happened so easily there what is going to stop the bankers from doing it here? i hope im totally wrong on this but history has a tendancy to repeat it self.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Leave it alone! Do not take the hit. If you are unsure about the market now, roll it into a roth IRA for a while. Your most important asset is your liquidity.
what happens if the congress does decide to take everyones retirement (401k,ira ..ect) account? like they did in argentina :eek: congress is debateing about it now !!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
what happens if the congress does decide to take everyones retirement (401k,ira ..ect) account? like they did in argentina :eek: congress is debateing about it now !!
That would be when I fire the first shot in revolt.

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
What I'd do, based on the information in your post.

25% US Treasury Bonds (rotated to keep 28+ year lead)
25% US Treasury Money Market Fund
25% Gold coins
25% High Volatility Stock Mutual Fund (Growth Funds)

The above kept balanced at 25% in each option every six months by selling some of the best performer and adding to the lower performers. (Best to just add to the low performers to bring them up to the best performer, but that takes additional capital.)

·
Registered
8,228 Posts

25% Gold coins

The above kept balanced at 25% in each option every six months by selling some of the best performer and adding to the lower performers. (Best to just add to the low performers to bring them up to the best performer, but that takes additional capital.)
:wow you got a ferm belief that the U.S. will not collaspe beating 50% on the gov and 25% on stocks. that would be great IF the U.S. doesnt go bankrupt. i really hope your right. if your not at least you will have 25% of your money :thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice so far! Wasn't expecting such quick feedback.

For more clarification, my gut is really telling me that we're going to get hit hard. I personally feel like its a 50-50 crap shoot of depression or TEOTWAWKI. I'm not necessarily looking at maximum gain on my money, I want to have it stay stable, or modest gain if/when rapid inflation hits. I just don't want to be stuck with a bunch of unmovable tangibles if things end of being A-OK. In a perfect world I'd just leave it alone, but that piece of paper sitting in my filing cabinet telling me what my balance is, is going to be pretty useless right before I use it for fire starter. :xeye:

You do bring up a good point about if the cost of goods goes up 30%+ then anything I buy now is like an immediate investment return. Hmmmm, I think I need to do some more soul searching tonight and talk it over with the wifey. Right now its not market panic that has me getting itchy to pull it out, its that I feel like i might be lacking in some preparedness areas that doing this could help serve double duty.

(Also good point on reselling items that could come back to haunt you. SHTF I wouldn't trade guns for anything, but post lengthy depression recovery I don't see how it would hurt.)

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
the VERY best thing you can do is pay off the roof over your head. or buy some land with a house in the land far far away and pay for it in full. not sure if the house your in now is on acreage. getting out of debt is the VERY best thing to do. the SHTF come in differnt ways, like you and your wife both are hurt and cant work for 6 months well a small SHTF just happend, even if you lose all your toys at least you got a roof over your head and your warm and dry and you dont have to worry about looseing it. no matter what you got your home :thumb:

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
One question I haven't seen is how old are you or how long before you are looking to retire. This question will give me a better idea on how you should proceed...

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
$11,000 is an imaginary number.If $8,000ish what you get,then that is its worth. They inflate the number,playing on he human greed factor,then frighten you with tax and penalty,so you keep the money in their hands.
Get debt free. I don't share Jerry's optimism.I see the economy,at least for Joe-Average,going only down.Zimbabwe-like down.

·
Little Big Man
92 Posts
investing in an item that you are going to resell is good. but i really reframe from selling items that could be used against me and /or kill me.

i dont know about barter or not ,possably. but we are most certainly heading for a economic collapse.

some gold /silver will always be good no matter which way it falls. or get it into a foriegn money dont keep it in dollars.

i think food will be a stronger bartering items specially spices you cant get in our country or in your local area.when we have a collapse all countries around the world will stop shipping to us, our money will have little to no value. so anything that is from another country you will not seen anymore, which any of those items will increase its trade value. i would rather trade someone a jar of sage than a box of 30-06. i would rather keep all ammo i have :thumb:

the gov will still be around but ALOT of services will be cut beacuse they cant aford to pay for all the employees so job cuts. services will be cut like welfare ,SSI,foodstamps...ect and the ones that are still in service will not be near as good with less ppl to do it all,and you will pay more taxes for those lesser services, like trash collecting instead of once a week. its once every 3 weeks. rolling blackouts, water works every other day, potholes in the roads never get filled...ect you say you got a gov job ? i hope its with the police or the military those will be the only areas not cut, accept their pay will be.

you could invest in you and your family. if you got kids buy stuff like shoes. buy the sizes they will need for the next 5yrs. all kinds of stuff soap,toothpaste/brushes,medicines..ect. when hyper inflation hits and hopefully prices only goes up 30%(we can only hope ) well the money you spent on those items now, you just save 30% of your money. thats alot better than haveing it in stockmarket loseing 50% or gaining a real good gain of 15%

the VERY best thing you could do 1st is get out of ALL debt. pay your house off. owe nothing get out of debt, free and clear.i got a bad feeling when we collapse eventually they are going to move us into a new monetary sys. to protect the banks.they will move it over to the amero and now $100= 1 amero but all bank contracts will be one for one 1 amero for $1 we owe. but all else will be like $100=1 amero to tranfer it to the amero. boy! i hope im wrong on that, but they did something very simular in argentina when all banks transfered every1 money which was in U.S. dollars to the argentina paso ,1paso=$1 but when the banks reopend the paso value droped 30% ,and all contracts was still in U.S. dollars and the paso was 30 paso = $10 .so they actually stole 30% of every1 money who had money in their banks.and made every1 house payments increase by 30% and every1 isnow being payed by the paso so they increased everyones debt by 60% by increaseing everyones debt by 30% and reduceing everyones pay by 30% .the world bankers was watching this very closely,it was a test run to see how well it would work. and it worked nicely for the bankers.if it happened so easily there what is going to stop the bankers from doing it here? i hope im totally wrong on this but history has a tendancy to repeat it self.

You are really scaring me. The converting debt into a new currency is what I'm really worried about... I just put all my savings into gold shares yesterday to hedge against inflation, but if they want to do a 100$ = 1 amero or something like that I think my only option would be to walk away from my home :'(

We just bought it in June, 10% down in a non/low bubble area(average like 3.5% increase a year for the past decade) but we are already underwater, and we have been making extra payments every month!! Any idea on how to hedge against a possible outcome like that?

My only idea is to wait until last minute before they introduce the new currency and pay off in the devalued dollars, holding onto as much liquid noncash assets until the very end? That or just say **** it and move out...

·
Registered
99 Posts

25% Gold coins

Not exactly what I would do, but pretty good general advice.

I must disagree with US Treasury Bonds/MMKT portion in one respect; do not buy medium or long-term bonds at this time. If you think we will have deflation you will want T-bills so you can liquidate them to have access your cash or use the proceeds to buy stocks and commodities at the bottom. If you expect inflation you are going to lose you shirt when the long-end of the yeild curve goes higher. Right now the TNX is only @ 2.693% that is knocking on DEPRESSION territory.

You have a number of option for investing in T-bills:
1) Via ETF symbol "BIL"
2) Via Treasury Direct
3) Treasury MMKT as above (except make sure it is all short-term/t-bills), vanguard is a good choice.

The reason why it is good to keep your money heavily invested in US at this time is because while things are bad here, they are/are going to be much worse everywhere else economically. If US defaults on treasury debt you have bigger things to worry about than your cash and you have better gone long commodities like brass and lead.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
I would suggest that you consider also taking some classes on survival techniques too. Learning to shoot with an M-4 or AK, pistol or shotgun might be a good thing to do right NOW. Learning to survive in a SHTF scenario, how to locate food that is already there and so on might be worth a lot more than $8K when the time comes to put your techniques to work to fill your belly.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts