Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just begun investing in silver. i purchased some american eagles and maple leafs, and some 1 oz. rounds. my question is this: is there any reason why buying pre 1965 coins (90%) is better than buying 40% silver coins post 1965? I am just talking for bartering purposes. thanks!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Two reasons I can think of. .

1) Most post '64 coins DON'T contain silver. Just the '65- Kennedy halves and the '71-'71 Ike dollars.

2) Because of reason #1, most people don't know that any post '64 silver coins exist. So you may have a hard time using them for trading.

The end result is that you should find the '64 and earlier coins much easier to use when bartering.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Go to the following website and that should help you out a lot. The only problem I see with 90% and 40% silver coins as bartering is you will have to first find someone that knows how calculate its worth at the time you are using it as a bartering tool. The website I am giving you is very educational and will give you formulas for this very reason. Do not forget, that most people in America do not know the true value of these coins. If you are trying barter for food, there is a good chance that people are not going to give you your moneys worth. The question you need to ask yourself is what would you do if you knew nothing about these coins and a stranger comes up to you and wants to trade for your limited food supplies? Hope this helps.

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts