Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,877 Posts

I did not realize fiber came from town near i5 20 miles away, i just saw the small cut out trench in asphalt through neighborhood. First application in north america but has been used in europe. Our water is excellent and drawn from skagit river at same town as where fiber originates.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The users of tick tok are driving the technology. Plus demand and federal subsidies for an alternative to wireline internet. 5G fixed Wireless Access in intended to compete with cable and fiber internet.
Well that doesn't sound like something I want to be a part of..

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,045 Posts

I did not realize fiber came from town near i5 20 miles away, i just saw the small cut out trench in asphalt through neighborhood. First application in north america but has been used in europe. Our water is excellent and drawn from skagit river at same town as where fiber originates.
That makes perfect sense. Years ago I was working on a microwave project in the Miami area and watching all the roads being torn up for a major sewer project. It occurred to me that the upper portion of all that pipe could have a fiber conduit molded into it. I don't know why this isn't routinely done. Somebody eventually comes along and trenches up the roads again later for fiber.

Reactions: BrianWorf

·
Dog
413 Posts
That might explain Dish Networks entry into the 5G market. I wonder what spectrum they have to build out?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
My understanding is Dish ownes lots of bandwidth so much so they sold some. I think to Verizon

I thought Dish could pivot to a streaming service but that didn't happen. at one point it looked like they would be the 4th wireless provider but that didn't pan out either.

·
Dog
413 Posts
That makes perfect sense. Years ago I was working on a microwave project in the Miami area and watching all the roads being torn up for a major sewer project. It occurred to me that the upper portion of all that pipe could have a fiber conduit molded into it. I don't know why this isn't routinely done. Somebody eventually comes along and trenches up the roads again later for fiber.
Yes. It’s almost like the railroads realizing they had right of way to all the best places. They sold access for additional revenue. It’s been like that for a long time. Even telegraph was built using railroad right of way.

I read an article sometime way back. New York City is built in layers way beneath the streets. They were running out of room and used old abandon pipes to run fiber. The article was cool because it had a graphic of all the layers. It was very long ago but I think it was popular mechanics.

If I remember they had a mechanical mouse that could drive (with limitations) in the pipes and pull the fiber.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,045 Posts
Yes. It’s almost like the railroads realizing they had right of way to all the best places. They sold access for additional revenue. It’s been like that for a long time. Even telegraph was built using railroad right of way.

I read an article sometime way back. New York City is built in layers way beneath the streets. They were running out of room and used old abandon pipes to run fiber. The article was cool because it had a graphic of all the layers. It was very long ago but I think it was popular mechanics.

If I remember they had a mechanical mouse that could drive (with limitations) in the pipes and pull the fiber.
They probably use mechanical mice because the abundant live rats have formed a workers union. It costs a lot of pizza to tie a pull string to a rat in NYC. Seriously, Ferrets have actually been used for this purpose .

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Worked on a server farm back before the .com bubble. Almost finished when an issue came up with easements, never heard how it was resolved. We installed so much wire the ceiling couldn't take the weight of cable trays, had to reinforce from the floor.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts