Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, this is the only thread I've started besides my introduction..

To start, I've thought 5G networks is definitely something to keep on the radar and there's bound to be some great opportunites. However whenever I try to search for specific companies I get results such as "subscribe to the Motely Fool"...
I have no insight myself but think there should be a discussion on here and perhaps some of us have some ideas for the others to look into and evaluate.

Anyone have any ideas on where to invest in the coming 5G?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Wow, this is the only thread I've started besides my introduction..

To start, I've thought 5G networks is definitely something to keep on the radar and there's bound to be some great opportunites. However whenever I try to search for specific companies I get results such as "subscribe to the Motely Fool"...
I have no insight myself but think there should be a discussion on here and perhaps some of us have some ideas for the others to look into and evaluate.

Anyone have any ideas on where to invest in the coming 5G?
Kind of a weird question, but Verizon, TMobile, AT&T, and Dish Network are the major carriers, Qualcomm, Nokia, Cisco, and Erickson, the infrastructure providers, Samsung, apple, leVeno, LG the phone providers, and anyone associated with online entertainment, data centers, etc stands to benefit.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes maybe weird and I was discussing with my dad earlier today TMobile is probably the best phone carrier but I was thinking more about the companies driving the technology rather than utilizing it

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Not like 5g is brand new tech and companies weren't dragged screaming into providing better service. Norway has equivalent speed 7-8g though no standard has been set. We'll see how big a role china plays.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,045 Posts
Verizon ain't ready for 5G yet.

I just found out I can use my CDMA2000 phone on the Verizon system until Jan 2023. I was told the system would be taken down 2 or 3 years ago. So I am still sporting a Motorola Razr V3M.

I don't think there is really a sensible way to invest in 5G. I made some good money on Qualcomm years ago before anyone knew what they made.

But 5G is as much hype as it is technology. There are a lot of pieces to it. I would not run out and pay good money for a 5G phone.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BrianWorf

·
Dog
413 Posts
Yes maybe weird and I was discussing with my dad earlier today TMobile is probably the best phone carrier but I was thinking more about the companies driving the technology rather than utilizing it
i can’t help with the actual technology companies behind 5G for a couple of reasons.

First, picking future winners and losers is hard. I’m not sure who will win yet.

Second, I’ve already discovered my 5G play. My pick can possibly hit it out of the park with 5G and make me a lot of money. But what happens if I’m wrong?

My pick has a history of good financial management and growth, they have paid and grown the dividend for a long time. The share price is stable during downturns.

And my pick has invested heavily in 5G.

My 5G pick is Verizon. I have 5G upside with the downside stability of a stodgy old dividend payer. Verizon is a solid pick even without 5G. Someone who knows more about this space might be able to pick a winner of the technology companies behind 5G but for me I like the risk reward with Verizon.

I was thinking of a big purchase but Warren Buffet say what I saw and swooped in, BIG. Now I’m waiting for a big dip.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Verizon ain't ready for 5G yet.

I just found out I can use my CDMA2000 phone on the Verizon system until Jan 2023. I was told the system would be taken down 2 or 3 years ago. So I am still sporting a Motorola Razr V3M.

I don't think there is really a sensible way to invest in 5G. I made some good money on Qualcomm years ago before anyone knew what they made.

But 5G is as much hype as it is technology. There are a lot of pieces to it. I would not run out and pay good money for a 5G phone.

Vzw was probally the most aggressive deployer of 5G, and doing it in a way that the other carriers claim they will do ( massive numbers of small cells), but 24 months or so ago there was only one location that had outdoor coverage. They have moved more to the “call it 5G, But deploy like 4G model“ till they get mid band spectrum.

If VZW wants to get rid of 3G, they need to hurry up with 4G deployments- my phone drops back to 3G all the time in rural AL.

·
Dog
413 Posts
Vzw was probally the most aggressive deployer of 5G, and doing it in a way that the other carriers claim they will do ( massive numbers of small cells), but 24 months or so ago there was only one location that had outdoor coverage. They have moved more to the “call it 5G, But deploy like 4G model“ till they get mid band spectrum.

If VZW wants to get rid of 3G, they need to hurry up with 4G deployments- my phone drops back to 3G all the time in rural AL.
Yeah, coverage from Verizon is great, until it isn't. If I couldn't use Verizon, I would use T-Mobil. I know many people in West Virginia. That state was a big white "no coverage" on the maps for many years. For a long time, no Verizon, no T-Mobil and no Sprint. Many of the people I know there use AT+T because it was the only one that could provide coverage. Of the three AT+T is the worse service in most areas and doesn't look good as an investment either.

I agree that Verizon is the most aggressive 5G deployer, and for that reason, I believe is an analog for a 5G play. But, I'm speculating that they won't fail and will actually make me money on 5G. Verizon's reputation as a good dividend stock is my hedge in case I'm wrong. It also buys me time if I have to wait for 5G to actually deploy and then pay off. I wonder if this is also Warren Buffets thinking. I'll bet he thinks he will make money on his Verizon purchase as a 5G play.

I haven't started writing options yet but I can see the day writing covered options on something like Verizon for some extra cash. Verizon is a covered options opportunity.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,045 Posts
Yeah, coverage from Verizon is great, until it isn't. If I couldn't use Verizon, I would use T-Mobil. I know many people in West Virginia. That state was a big white "no coverage" on the maps for many years. For a long time, no Verizon, no T-Mobil and no Sprint. Many of the people I know there use AT+T because it was the only one that could provide coverage. Of the three AT+T is the worse service in most areas and doesn't look good as an investment either.

I agree that Verizon is the most aggressive 5G deployer, and for that reason, I believe is an analog for a 5G play. But, I'm speculating that they won't fail and will actually make me money on 5G. Verizon's reputation as a good dividend stock is my hedge in case I'm wrong. It also buys me time if I have to wait for 5G to actually deploy and then pay off. I wonder if this is also Warren Buffets thinking. I'll bet he thinks he will make money on his Verizon purchase as a 5G play.

I haven't started writing options yet but I can see the day writing covered options on something like Verizon for some extra cash. Verizon is a covered options opportunity.
From my experience Verizon's CDMA2000 "3G", coverage is better than the other networks including ATT.

I have stayed with this technology (old phone) because I go places where Verizon's 4G simply does not work. If Verizon is to keep their base of users in rural areas, they are going to have to deploy a 4G/5G network with same footprint as their 3G. If they get sloppy, then folks will be shopping for lower price because Verizon will be just like the rest.

I really don't see the rationale in seeking 5G as a consumer. It is a suite of standards, its not one standard. The 5G marketing hype really does nothing to educate consumers.

If I have to weigh:

Watching a movie or video on a 7 inch screen while sitting in a coffee shop. 5G

Vs

Making a necessary phone call from deep in the woods. 0G/1G/2G/3G

I am going to pick the phone call every time.

·
Dog
413 Posts
From my experience Verizon's CDMA2000 "3G", coverage is better than the other networks including ATT.

I have stayed with this technology (old phone) because I go places where Verizon's 4G simply does not work. If Verizon is to keep their base of users in rural areas, they are going to have to deploy a 4G/5G network with same footprint as their 3G. If they get sloppy, then folks will be shopping for lower price because Verizon will be just like the rest.

I really don't see the rationale in seeking 5G as a consumer. It is a suite of standards, its not one standard. The 5G marketing hype really does nothing to educate consumers.

If I have to weigh:

Watching a movie or video on a 7 inch screen while sitting in a coffee shop. 5G

Vs

Making a necessary phone call from deep in the woods. 0G/1G/2G/3G

I am going to pick the phone call every time.

5G might have something that we all want.

home internet through Comcast is expensive. If you cut the cord on TV then you will eventually get a bill from Comcast for busting the data cap.

5G holds the promise for wireless home internet. You would still have your wireless access point but instead of Comcast and a cable modem you would have a wireless 5G modem.

Its possible that we will break the monopoly and have 2 or 3 options with 5G.

in a previous life I designed cable tv plants. Which street when. Running a cable down a street is expensive even if it’s above ground rather than below. Wireless could change this.

that expense, running a cable down the road, was so expensive that many rural areas couldn’t get Cable, some phone and electricity is subsidized but internet... nada.

5G could change that.

So, yes 5G would be nice to have on my phone, but the real bang for the buck is wireless “last mile”.

·
Dog
413 Posts
Our town just got a new wired internet, fiber was run through the water pipes.
that’s a cool way to do it. I bet it was expensive and it complicates pipe repair. I like the idea, you can only hang so much wire on the poles and you can only bury so many things close together. This bypasses it all.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,045 Posts
I wonder why they used water pipes and not the sewer lines. Bigger pipes and easier bends.
They can't possibly be using drinking water pipes. Is there a fiber made that is rated for installation in the potable water supply?

·
Dog
413 Posts
They can't possibly be using drinking water pipes. Is there a fiber made that is rated for installation in the potable water supply?

Good point. I don’t know but if I had to engineer it I would consider glass without the jacket covering the cable. I suppose you can put glass in drinking water without too much paperwork.

but as I said, I would think of sewer pipe.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Good point. I don’t know but if I had to engineer it I would consider glass without the jacket covering the cable. I suppose you can put glass in drinking water without too much paperwork.

but as I said, I would think of sewer pipe.
You’d think, but no. Water isn’t good for fiber due to hydrogen embrittlement and increased attenuation.. Sewers are a no no due to sewer machines.

I can see a potable water compatable fiber being used for backhaul. But not to build a whole network. It also has to bypass every gate valve, and every tap has to have an external splice.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do like puttsters idea of an etf. Much of my investing in recent years has been with index funds as I find it less stressful and holdings that do very well are easier to sell without getting sentimental.

Funny all the talk of Verizon, I know they work best in the mountains but my understand has been TMobile leading the way with 5G network and Berkshire invested in them noticably in the 4th quarter of 2020..

All good food of thought. I was hoping to learn some names driving the technology but lets keep the conversation going!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I do like puttsters idea of an etf. Much of my investing in recent years has been with index funds as I find it less stressful and holdings that do very well are easier to sell without getting sentimental.

Funny all the talk of Verizon, I know they work best in the mountains but my understand has been TMobile leading the way with 5G network and Berkshire invested in them noticably in the 4th quarter of 2020..

All good food of thought. I was hoping to learn some names driving the technology but lets keep the conversation going!
The users of tick tok are driving the technology. Plus demand and federal subsidies for an alternative to wireline internet. 5G fixed Wireless Access in intended to compete with cable and fiber internet.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,045 Posts
5G might have something that we all want.

home internet through Comcast is expensive. If you cut the cord on TV then you will eventually get a bill from Comcast for busting the data cap.

5G holds the promise for wireless home internet. You would still have your wireless access point but instead of Comcast and a cable modem you would have a wireless 5G modem.

Its possible that we will break the monopoly and have 2 or 3 options with 5G.

in a previous life I designed cable tv plants. Which street when. Running a cable down a street is expensive even if it’s above ground rather than below. Wireless could change this.

that expense, running a cable down the road, was so expensive that many rural areas couldn’t get Cable, some phone and electricity is subsidized but internet... nada.

5G could change that.

So, yes 5G would be nice to have on my phone, but the real bang for the buck is wireless “last mile”.
That might explain Dish Networks entry into the 5G market. I wonder what spectrum they have to build out?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts