Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Texan
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly gold and silver are worth whatever people think they are worth they are just shiny.

Lead on the other hand can be used to cast boolits and sinkers both important for survival.

go to http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

you will learn everything you need to know about reloading and casting all other metals are a waste of time

Think of the barter value if you can make everybody shotgun shells and bullets in your community after SHTF.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As a diver that dives swift rivers in a drysuit, I've got some major investment into lead :thumb:

Seriously, Jim Rogers the commodities trader said lead would be a fantastic investment because the demand is always there but smelters and mines are all getting shut down and the regulatory and NIMBY issues make opening new ones very difficult.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Honestly gold and silver are worth whatever people think they are worth they are just shiny.

Lead on the other hand can be used to cast boolits and sinkers both important for survival.

you will learn everything you need to know about reloading and casting all other metals are a waste of time

Think of the barter value if you can make everybody shotgun shells and bullets in your community after SHTF.
...yes, you're right, ALL other metals are a waste of time. *sigh* This has been done SO many times, but I guess I am a glutton for punishment so I will feed the trolls.

Gold DOES have intrinsic value. Just because it has a DIFFERENT purpose than other things doesn't mean it has no purpose. You can't say something has no value simply because you can't make fishing sinkers out of it for Christ's sake. By that metric almost nothing on earth has intrinsic value. Same with the "you can't eat it" argument. If I bought an axe nobody says "you can't eat axes". Because they know why I have it: to chop down trees. Axes also make a terrible currency.

So you can't eat gold, and you can't chop down trees with it either. But that's not why I have it. I have it to be a currency. It has intrinsic value in its ability to function as a currency. It meets all the requirements in a way nothing else on earth really does.

Of course you won't care that's fine, just leaves more gold for me.

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
How will you make your smokeless powder and primers when your supply runs out? What will you use to heat the lead? Like cooking food over a fire melting lead will waste a lot of valuable firewood.

Maybe buying 50,000 pre cast & lubed bullets would be a more productive and less use of time and resources. Better yet buying 50,000 rounds of loaded ammo may be the best deal. Most people may not trust the quality of unknown quality reloads.

If I need a sinker a rusty old bolt works just fine. I got to go I'm heading down to the river to dump my gold & silver!

Red

·
Texan
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes I know lead is a buck a pound but thats brand new smelted in bars you can get WW from tire shops for free sometimes.

yes gold has its value its used in hi tech technology circuts but honestly what good does that have for surviving and with gold so high nobody really has the money to buy it and it will burst in the next couple years ammunition is expensive and dont say its a waste of time and money if you havent done it or calculated it yet.

the brass you can get for free at ranges and just keep saving it for years you can fire each piece up to 10 times if it doesnt develop defects.
primers have doubled and are about $30 per thousand if you dont buy by the 5,000

Powder you can get mil surp powder for alot cheaper than the commercial stuff

Lead even if you buy it at a buck a pound if your casting pistol bullets for 124 grain projectiles you can make 56 a pound about so 2 pounds you have over 100 when commercial projectiles are $14 a 100

Not all people load for pistol 30-06 ammo is cheapest $0.70 a piece when you can load that for the cost of primer and powder.

If you dont have that much room to reload buy a Lee loader kit for the caliber of your rifle and pistol about $30 a kit and comes with everything except the hammer which you should already have.

for casting just buy a lee 2 cavity mold $25 or less and comes with handles

for your pot get a lee bottom pour pot 10 or 20lb $50-$70

this is the bare minimum for reloading and casting buy your lead online from the people that sell lead on the castboolits site for $1/lb shipped to your door

Reloading for shotgun all you need is hulls about $10/500 and primers if you dont buy bulk is about $3-$5 per 100 price drops alot if you buy 1000 or more dont take up that much room either.

and powder which you can get mil surp powder for shotguns for almost $80 for 8lbs

and a decent press the lee load all 2 for $40

for shot theres molds for them too $25 ea if you get the cosmetic defect ones
and use with your lee bottom pour pot

My point is if you buy ammunition your getting ripped off and you only shoot it once. you could reload that same piece of brass atleast 5 times

you dont need much space at all and its all portable.

components were alot cheaper a couple years ago yall shoulda taken advantage

if you have your head up your butt you can kill yourself reloading but then if you have your head up yer ass why do you have a gun?

Dont buy other peoples reloads only shoot ones you do yourself

its alot easier to store components than loaded ammo

PS you can melt lead on a campfire its not iron

·
Texan
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sinkers

Yes some fishing people cast sinkers i dont fish much so i dont cast for them but you can sell them to people that do fish and make money.

when i go fishin i make my pole each time i go out of whatever i can find and ive been quite succesful ive caught a fish with a tangled line i found and a hook with a coke tab

spark plugs work for sinkers too

·
Registered
989 Posts
Many people don't seem to realize the industrial use of silver. It is the best electrical conductor we have ample supplies of. Everyone seems to think copper wiring is great, but in fact silver is better. Naturally because of silvers previous use as money, it is simply too expensive to use for wiring purposes, but it still serves an electrical use with small electronics. As the world continues to miniaturize things, silver will find more and more use.

Lead? Who in a modern society needs fishing sinkers? A SHTF situation will never be a permanent situation, so while you might have a small window where lead serves some purpose, the long term value of silver to mankind literally is immeasurable.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
...yes, you're right, ALL other metals are a waste of time. *sigh* This has been done SO many times, but I guess I am a glutton for punishment so I will feed the trolls.

Gold DOES have intrinsic value. Just because it has a DIFFERENT purpose than other things doesn't mean it has no purpose. You can't say something has no value simply because you can't make fishing sinkers out of it for Christ's sake. By that metric almost nothing on earth has intrinsic value. Same with the "you can't eat it" argument. If I bought an axe nobody says "you can't eat axes". Because they know why I have it: to chop down trees. Axes also make a terrible currency.

So you can't eat gold, and you can't chop down trees with it either. But that's not why I have it. I have it to be a currency. It has intrinsic valueU in its ability to function as a currency. It meets all the requirements in a way nothing else on earth really does.
You are right, I've only been a member now for 5 months and I could swear I quoted you on this and applied my catch phrase behind it. Oh, well if it's Deja vu I guess I have to go with the script;

Gold and silver : the commodities of wealth
Brass and lead: the commodities of freedom

I want to be a free rich guy so I invest in both strategies.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
yes gold has its value its used in hi tech technology circuts but honestly what good does that have for surviving
Computers are a recent invention. Gold has been used as a storage of wealth and medium of exchange for thousands of years. I'll side with history on this one.

and with gold so high nobody really has the money to buy it
Speak for yourself.

the brass you can get for free at ranges
I wouldn't trust range brass in any of my guns.

My point is if you buy ammunition your getting ripped off and you only shoot it once.
It's great that you are so enthusiastic about reloading. I reload myself. I don't, however, care to waste my time reloading what are essentially practice rounds. If I want precision ammunition, or special loads which I cannot purchase, reloading is a great idea. Reloading practice ammo is, to me, a waste of my time, and I will gladly purchase factory ammuntion. My time is worth more than the extra money I'd spend.

if you have your head up your butt you can kill yourself reloading but then if you have your head up yer ass why do you have a gun?
Using some of that "range brass" and mil-surp powder can kill you too, and through no fault of your own. Reloading is too exact of a science to trust second-hand components.

its alot easier to store components than loaded ammo
Huh? It's all the same components. Reloading means you have to set aside space to store brass, bullets, reloading components, powder jugs, etc. Loaded ammo stacks nicely in ammo cans.

Also: those of us who store PMs probably have the lead/ammo thing already covered.:cool:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
How will you make your smokeless powder and primers when your supply runs out? What will you use to heat the lead? Like cooking food over a fire melting lead will waste a lot of valuable firewood.

Maybe buying 50,000 pre cast & lubed bullets would be a more productive and less use of time and resources. Better yet buying 50,000 rounds of loaded ammo may be the best deal. Most people may not trust the quality of unknown quality reloads.

If I need a sinker a rusty old bolt works just fine. I got to go I'm heading down to the river to dump my gold & silver!

Red
What a great way to stash your metals, dump them in the river and pan them up when needed.:thumb: Who would ever think to look there.;)

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts

Well, you have a youth tag. So that buys you a little leeway instead of a reaming LOL

Look, you are correct that gold and silver are only worth what someone thinks it is worth... but so is lead and ammo! Some might consider ammo just paperweights. It is all perspective. Ammo is important. Yes, it is trade-able also but only to those that can use it.

In order to be "covered" you should diversify it all. All you have to do is look at history...

In almost every disaster situation throughout history... gold had trade value. After and during every war, after every economic collapse (Japan, Germany, Zimbabwe etc etc) gold had trade value. But for some reason, so many want to only focus on "I am Legend", "Book of Eli" or "Resident Evil" scenarios that are statistically MUCH MUCH MUCH less than war, famine, financial collapse, plague etc etc. I am not saying don't think about these scenarios, but be realistic about it and prepare for things that are more likely to happen.

You are young, so prioritize. Like you said, build up what you can for now and if that is ammo and lead. CONTINUE!! Food, water, ammo are all good preparations.

Gold and Silver is probably too expensive for you at the moment. So yes, you are doing the absolute correct thing. But just don't dismiss gold and silver "just shiny" because you can not afford any right now or don't understand the value of it. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
All metals have value and all metals have unique properties for applications in which not everyone is aquainted.
Even steel is worth investing in. Buy yourself a torch and arc welder, start saving the steel that could be useful. You never know what you may need to make someday.

Reactions: tubalcain

·
hunter gather thinker
227 Posts
i'm with you JAMESCONN after SHTF if some dip**** offers me gold or silver in exchange for some gas ,ammo or an extra radio , i'd tell them sorry it's of no use to me , but i would trade for lead, as for the naysayers , you can carry and/or store alot mor primers and powder than bullits , and lets not forget the old muzzle loader , i got one , it's a pain in the ass to load and shoot but it'll bag dinner.

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
The few times I've been to a range there isn't much free brass laying around. Most people collect their brass and don't leave it on the ground. There was a time when powder and primers were cheap and brass was laying around but not these days.

If you have the time and patience to reload good for you. But for me the thought of loading 5,000 rds is not for this old guy, even if the components were 1/2 price.

The last few years I shoot the same ammo when I practice or do serious shooting. I want all my guns sighted with my standard ammo if I need a gun fast.

Melting lead is hot dangerous work with the hazardous fumes and chance of getting burned. The thought of casting 5000 bullets and all the work to get a finished bullet scares me. I would rather have jacketed bullets anyway.

If I had a cannon I would give in and cast the balls,maybe.

Red

1 - 20 of 24 Posts