Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
That'll be the day...
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister was in a Sam's Club yesterday. She walked up to the assistant manger of the store and asked.... "When will you have toilet paper back in stock."

The assistant manger looked at her, and without hesitation said, "we have been informed from corporate that supplies from the distribution centers will be prioritized to areas of the country where there are more cases of coronavirus."

It is interesting to me that they are being that strategic.

I am guessing there is Govt intervention and guidance.

·
reluctant sinner
17,525 Posts
I think supply issues are well sorted out from things like OSB and blue tarps for hurricanes. To maximize profit - you need to have something to sell at the place where the most want to buy.

Artificial shortages caused by panic buying take a while to sort out. How many years did the 22 RF one last. There was always ammo at a greatly inflated prices, yet today you can find it in stock on the shelves at reasonable prices.

·
Republic of Texas
1,221 Posts
My sister was in a Sam's Club yesterday. She walked up to the assistant manger of the store and asked.... "When will you have toilet paper back in stock."

The assistant manger looked at her, and without hesitation said, "we have been informed from corporate that supplies from the distribution centers will be prioritized to areas of the country where there are more cases of coronavirus."

It is interesting to me that they are being that strategic.

I am guessing there is Govt intervention and guidance.

Sam's and Walmart loads are delivered by truck drivers. His assumption assumes that those drivers will always be there.

They won't. Eventually they will go home. When they get sick or their family does.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,955 Posts
I make my supply run at Sam's Friday, I will give a detailed report. We are "plus" members and get to go in early.

My one uber driver today was whining she went to costco Tuesday and they were out of bottled water. :rolleyes:

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,686 Posts
Yes, inventory is on triage. Global supply chains damaged beyond immediate restoration and repair. Businesses shut, components out of stock. Shipping and flights canceled. Inventory depleted with no "in stock" dates.

If there's something you need to survive, buy it immediately, today. Meds, supplies, etc.

If there's something to comfort you, buy it immediately.

If there's a "wish list" item, consider buying it, and watch for deals.

On the flip side:
Luxury item fire sale soon to occur in the new and used markets as people have serious financial hardships.

If there's a wish list luxury item, it will likely surface from some over-extended owner who needs the cash.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
guaranteed that the White House already has had conversations with major stores regarding metering supplies...

They've also likely enacted the beginning portions of the Continuity of Government planning...

Reactions: Moccasin and SoJ_51

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Companies are getting into the Force Majore arguments now. Those end up causing delays, money, and lawsuits. Sometimes defaults. Contractual wordings might include out clauses and phrases like "global pandemic".

Leveraged suppliers may not even exist to restart when the supply chain gets back on track. More and more goods may be disappearing from shelves soon. On the grocery side TP and water are canaries in the coal mine. The first, but likely not the last thing to disappear. Overseas inventory issues could be really noticeable around the same time the virus peaks here; mid April through early June. If people don't panic earlier and clear out stores and warehouses.

JIT delivery still works for a while even with no ships bringing goods when there are distribution centers. When those run low, stores run out JIT.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Based on the last two loads Iyaayas has had (he hauls only food), Denver is on the high list. It's extremely unusual for him to haul 2 loads INTO Denver back to back. He's on his 2nd load now.
Interesting insight!

Do you know what other cities got bumped down the list versus Denver? I'm wondering why Denver is a higher priority than which cities?

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
guaranteed that the White House already has had conversations with major stores regarding metering supplies...

They've also likely enacted the beginning portions of the Continuity of Government planning...
They probably have all the toilet paper they need, too. :D:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts