Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beautifull wife travels with her work. She relies on her hotel for internet service. We keep her laptop as clean as we can and pay for the best antivirus protection we can find. Still she returned home with some crap infesting her computer.

Can we start to publicly execute these basement dwelling scum who put these on the internet. My wife and I have spent at least $500 dollars in the last 2 years just to keep her computer running.

Ok, I am calmer now but we just can't afford this! This has been a huge burden on us and now is a very bad time for us to have to pay for more repairs.

.....Breath....We can not afford these useless expenses.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Anti-virus has very little to do with malware.

If you continue to get malware infections, you need to review the kinds of sites your visiting, your web browser, how often you update your system,,,,.

In the past year I have gotten 2 malware infections, and I go to a lot off risky sites. If your getting more then that, something else is going on.

The best way to protect your computer is to layer the security:

Anti-virus - I use free AVG
make sure the operating system is up to date
Use a limited user account so malware can not be installed.
Make sure your applications are up to date - flash player, java, adobe acrobat reader,,,,.
Run a program like malware bytes from time to time.
Do not install any tools bars on your browser, or anything like the alexa tool bar.
Do not download "free" programs - like screen savers or free games.

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
Prepper, I feel your pain! My wife downloaded some free games and we were infected with some nasties.
Here's a few tips; download the free version of malwarebytes, (and use it often),get a good registry cleaner like registry reviver, use a good anti-virus program.
Don't open any email attachments that have the "exe" at the end! Many of those are infected. And exe attachments are actually programs. Almost all of the attachments that have "jpg" are safe.

For some reason, most of the companies and individuals that infect us with these unwelcome and nefarious bugs, are not prosecuted or monitored. Not sure if it's because they are so prevalent, and they can't keep up, or if they just don't care.
And lastly, get your computer reformatted once or twice a year, in this way, nasty bugs can be removed permanently from your hard drive, if nothing else works. Good luck, hope I've helped a little.

·
Registered
529 Posts
You can help her computer, its not past fixing. you just have to put more effort into it. Like for me, I picked up some malware on my work laptop not too long ago. the problem is that we're not allowed admin rights to them, so I was limited in what I could do.

Most systems have an option to press Fxx (F1-12) or delete key, etc during boot up. This will allow you to do a safe mode boot up, or restore the system (creating a system restore after doing updates on a stable system is good for sanity). Anyway, this is what I did. get a copy of malware bytes or other anti-malware program (research it first, some claim to be, but are nothing more than malware themselves), and get the installation .exe file saved somewhere accessible like the desktop. Then reboot the system into safe mode WITHOUT networking if at all possible. The reason I say that is often times on deleting/uninstalling hunting it down, it triggers a "silent download and install" of the same program into a different directory. Also, it can cause the anti-malware program to not install properly. I had problems with that where if I wasn't in safe mode and install malware bytes, it would give me fatal errors, but installed in safe mode worked fine. Run the program, let it do the most extensive you can, and just let it run. Odds are it'll find a number of things. Delete them, then reboot back into safe mode and run it again, just to be sure you get the same response. Then reboot normally and run it again, to make sure it doesn't auto-install when booting up normally. You should be good at that point.

and that cost me $0, just a couple hrs of effort. Also, if all else fails, put in the Windows/Mac/Linux disk and do a full format/reinstall of the OS. Rarely do they have malware out there well written enough to survive that anymore.

Then do the things that Kev said, with a couple added ideas:

1)Set up system restores. It's basically a snapshot of your system that you can restore back to if something screws up.
2)Backups. Keep anything you hold precious (photos, financial info, legal docs, etc) on an external hard drive that you can readily disconnect. Put copies of what you want backed up on there, then disconnect it. Check it once a month or so to make sure all the files are still intact, replace any copies that have corrupted. Conversely you could burn those files off onto CD/DVD. They have archival quality discs out there now that have higher quality design and are meant to last a lot longer than the discs you get at wallyworld.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank You!!

Leaving again to send this link to my brother and the Greatest man I know, my father in law. No he ain't just smart he is well schooled in life.

Pop is a Pharmacist. Sold out and retriredrecently. For years he owned the only pharmacy in town, he has spent the last 40 years giving out as much good sense as folks could soak up.

My wife has recently tried to help him collect on bad debts. His responce has been "send a letter but be nice about it and if they can't pay leave them alone"

Yes, I do love this man!!

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
Leaving again to send this link to my brother and the Greatest man I know, my father in law. No he ain't just smart he is well schooled in life.

Pop is a Pharmacist. Sold out and retriredrecently. For years he owned the only pharmacy in town, he has spent the last 40 years giving out as much good sense as folks could soak up.

My wife has recently tried to help him collect on bad debts. His responce has been "send a letter but be nice about it and if they can't pay leave them alone"

Yes, I do love this man!!
Prepper, Now THAT man is a model for how to live one's life! Everyone can learn from this fellow. A man with a brain, and a heart.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Easy answer: quit using WinDOZE

·
Registered
308 Posts
I will agree with those above who recommend Malwarebytes Anti Malware and AVG.

Here are some things to help...

Most infections I come across are malware, not a virus (virii ? viruses?)....

Most malware is just an annoyance, hijacks your browser...pop ups .. etc, whereas most viruses I've seen will cause some serious headaches... not all though.

If you run a cleaner and the infection is still there or comes back, run the cleaner in safe mode. (Usually press F8 while the computer is booting and choose safe mode). Many infections disguise themselves as windows system files. While windows is running in normal mode it locks these files and they cannot be cleaned properly. In safe mode they can be deleted.

Second, don't run windows normally as an administrator. Create a login with limited rights and use that. This will prevent some infections. Only use the administrator account for... well, administrative tasks.

Use firefox, not IE. Though it is targeted it is generally safer than IE.

I use Ccleaner, Malwarebytes AntiMalware, and AVG and never have a problem. I also avoid using IE if I can help it.

·
Mad Trapper II
1,157 Posts
I think the authorities need to take cyber crime more seriously, especially identity theft and whatnot. If you hack someone's account and pretend you're them you should catch a personation charge, just like in real life when you misrepresent yourself.

·
cynic
266 Posts
Use "Sandboxie" www.sandboxie.com when going on the net. Everything will run in a quarantined environment and you will be prompted if a program is available to be 'recovered' (saved outside of the quarantine).
If you do a YouTube search on Sandboxie, you'll find a few tutorials and one has a guy TRYING to get malware on his system so that he can show sandboxie handle it.
Here is part 1 of 3:

Another good tip - get a large external drive and when you have your system running like it should, make an 'image' of your drive complete with OS and save it. Also back up important files. If you ever have to "nuke" your system, you reinstall off the image and your back in business, no muss, no fuss.

Ultimately stop using windows but if that is not an option due to employer's software/system requirements the the above will do wonders. With Sandboxie installed a buddy of mine doesn't even use an antivirus (they're resource hogs anyway) and hasn't had a malware or virus ever since.
Of course, you have to know not to allow a file to be 'recovered' unless you specifically are downloading it and know that it's safe first.
You can always run a malware check on it while it's quarantined.

·
Talk To The Hand
658 Posts
I have to heartily second www.malwarebytes.com!!! :thumb:

I downloaded this program a few days ago and on the 1st run it caught SIX bad guys--including TWO trojan programs!

I already run CCleaner, Spyware Terminator, and TweakNow RegCleaner and this new program STILL found garbage. I did a full scan (1.5 hours) today and it found ANOTHER malware. Jeebus!

I also do a registry clean after installing any software updates, like I just did today with JAVA. Sure, enough, I found a couple things to delete.

My computer is running like a teenager these days.

[Oh, and we did buy an iMac a while back but it hasn't transitioned into our daily computer yet. In the meantime . . . use www.malwarebytes.com :D:]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.