Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Bug-In Prepper
1,694 Posts
I've been using the Internet since almost the beginning. And it has turned into crap.
Indeed. As a rule of thumb, anything that goes mainstream turns into crap soon thereafter.

The kinds of quality people who made the Internet not-crap back in the day are still there, though. They're just occluded behind the throng of noise-makers.

If you can find them on the IRC channels and special-interest forums (like, say, SB) and spend your time there, you'll be happier than if you just binged ad-riddled tripe.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
One of the issues I have found is the searches that used to turn up a ton of info, don't. Health topics searches would turn up the gamet, now it is mainly Webmed, wicki something, etc. Someone on here shared a search engine just for health topics and dipped if I can find the post. It was a couple years ago and the poster has faded (I hope she is OK) and maybe the search feature did, too.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I have long been an advocate of physical copies of everything.

With the leanings toward revision and new editions, I like to have an unfiltered source. Old book stores, when I can find them, are my bread and butter.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The concern i have held for a long time is the deliberate deletion (electronic Fahrenheit 451 if you will) of DRM protected books, papers, theses, etc.
AND, the fact that there have been reports of papers submitted being rejected because they don't follow a specific narrative.

Kindle anyone?
Calibre can be used to strip DRM off ebooks, it also works as a library/catalog to your books and it will also work as a server that some ebook readers can download books over your local network.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A very good idea to download info, videos and photos. I have seen some forums going down due to lack of numbers and contribution and that valuable piece of informations is lost forever. Hard drives are cheap and can store plenty info. Over the years I downloaded and stored what I want on 2 backup hard drives and have a 3rd backup where I backup just incase one of the other 2 backups pack up.

·
Combat marxism Now!
9,155 Posts
One of the reasons I collect physical or electronic copies of anything important
For those who don't know, all digital memory degrades. Today's memory is incredibly good, but the way it works is unknown to most.

A transistor and a capacitor are paired to create a memory cell, which represents a single bit of data. The capacitor holds the bit of information — a 0 or a 1. The transistor acts as a switch that lets the control circuitry on the memory chip read the capacitor or change its state.

Now, remember that capacitors are much like batteries, they can hold a charge for a limited period of time. But unless they are recharged from time to time, any digital memory will "erase itself". Most products are rated for 1 year, and will probably last 10. Miniaturization reduces the size of the capacitors and their charge.

CD's, DVD's and BluRay's have laser etched data. Lifespan depends on original quality. 5 to 100 years depending on how they were made.

But you say, vintage Nintendo still works. They have a "keep alive" battery. And guess what, they are starting to fail. When that happens, everything is lost.

Reactions: zooeyhll

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I've tried AdBlock. Web pages detect it and refuse to completely load unless it is disabled first.
Try Adguard. It is not just a browser addon but an actual program that runs in background. It is much better at removing ads. I think the demo version runs for a week before asking license key.

Additionally you can send links to non-working websites for them and they will most probably make sites work within few days. Especially those "you are using adblocker, turn it off" sites.

One of the few programs I've actually bought.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
im right there with the unusable. you get to a search engine. you plug in what you are looking for. every damn thing except what you re looking for comes up

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
5,503 Posts
Toggle "Reader View" in Firefox.
No more ads - popups - and paywall blocks. . . if you're quick.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts