Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the reasons I collect physical or electronic copies of anything important (books, PDFs of documents, DVDs, CDs, downloads of videos from Youtube, etc.) is because of the gradual uselessness of the internet. I can predict where this is headed, and it will be an information blackout and "pay to play" at premium rates.

Most sites are moving to paywalls, and sites that don't have them are requiring cookies tracking you and when you get to a site, you're generally bombarded by no less than a few popups and then a video or several videos that autoplay ads or content sometimes related to but sometimes unrelated to your query. And written journalism has declined rapidly, with articles failing to get to the point and cluttered with links to different articles or topics or even advertisements.

I worry that without your own hard copies of anything important, future songs, books, etc. will be cluttered with similar garbage. Word of wisdom, collect as much of your own hard copy or digital copies now before the world ruins it. While it doesn't solve the "current events" issue, it mitigates it so you can at least have a piece of sanity when reading Tom Sawyer or listening to your favorite songs.

·
Retired curmudgeon
20,681 Posts
Word of wisdom, collect as much of your own hard copy or digital copies now before the world ruins it. While it doesn't solve the "current events" issue, it mitigates it so you can at least have a piece of sanity when reading Tom Sawyer or listening to your favorite songs.
I bought my hard bound and gilt edge collection of Samuel Clemens works a while ago. Completely uncensored. When I find an article or essay online that I like, I do a right-click then save-as. It saves it as a PDF file. I use the Brave browser.

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Software

·
Bug-In Prepper
1,695 Posts
Yep. I make extensive use of sci-hub to obtain DRM-free PDF files for professional journal publications, youtube-dl to make local archives of useful videos (it works for a lot of sites besides youtube, too), and torrent portals so that I can get permanent copies of music I have already purchased, without worrying about it all being yanked from the internet someday.

Hard drive space is cheap, local copies are more reliable than streaming over a network, and it's still legal (for now), so why not?

News about current events is problematic in ways other than the paywalls, too. Propaganda is squeezing out actual news, and nothing can be trusted. Journalism is in need of a paradigm shift, but I couldn't tell you what it would look like.

·
Registered
766 Posts
One of the reasons I collect physical or electronic copies of anything important (books, PDFs of documents, DVDs, CDs, downloads of videos from Youtube, etc.) is because of the gradual uselessness of the internet. I can predict where this is headed, and it will be an information blackout and "pay to play" at premium rates.
Yes, I agree completely. Everything is suspect, lots of purposeful misinformation, blocking of real news and "non-approved" discussions, and people who are willing to write anything for "clicks".

Even technical subjects that have no political or social implications are full of wrong and dangerous information. Take non-controversial questions like carpentry, plumbing, or electrical wiring. A good percentage of the info on the web is flat out wrong, and often dangerous. What's worse, the people who post the dangerous advice almost never admit they were wrong.

So, yeah, uselessness is on the horizon.

·
Registered
373 Posts

Most sites are moving to paywalls, and sites that don't have them are requiring cookies tracking you and when you get to a site, you're generally bombarded by no less than a few popups and then a video or several videos that autoplay ads or content sometimes related to but sometimes unrelated to your query. And written journalism has declined rapidly, with articles failing to get to the point and cluttered with links to different articles or topics or even advertisements.

I worry that without your own hard copies of anything important, future songs, books, etc. will be cluttered with similar garbage. Word of wisdom, collect as much of your own hard copy or digital copies now before the world ruins it. While it doesn't solve the "current events" issue, it mitigates it so you can at least have a piece of sanity when reading Tom Sawyer or listening to your favorite songs.
This might be a good future for me. For years I’ve owned a mountain of books that I always procrastinate on reading because I’m too busy playing on the internet lol.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Yep. I make extensive use of sci-hub to obtain DRM-free PDF files for professional journal publications, youtube-dl to make local archives of useful videos (it works for a lot of sites besides youtube, too), and torrent portals so that I can get permanent copies of music I have already purchased, without worrying about it all being yanked from the internet someday.

Hard drive space is cheap, local copies are more reliable than streaming over a network, and it's still legal (for now), so why not?

News about current events is problematic in ways other than the paywalls, too. Propaganda is squeezing out actual news, and nothing can be trusted. Journalism is in need of a paradigm shift, but I couldn't tell you what it would look like.
The concern i have held for a long time is the deliberate deletion (electronic Fahrenheit 451 if you will) of DRM protected books, papers, theses, etc.
AND, the fact that there have been reports of papers submitted being rejected because they don't follow a specific narrative.

Kindle anyone?

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
https://www.gutenberg.org

I keep pdfs of large books like automotive service manuals and detailed breakdown of every gun I own.

The internet is getting worse. I use alternative search engines and scroll down past the traditional results. Anything like Wikipedia is garbage that can be changed on a whim.

I also have some physical books that were removed from school when the PC book burning started. And a college worth of engineering and science books.

·
Bug-In Prepper
1,695 Posts
there have been reports of papers submitted being rejected because they don't follow a specific narrative
If you're willing to put a lot of effort into filtering, arXiv arXiv.org e-Print archive is the place to go for professional papers which are either pre-prints or rejected by publishers (or whose authors simply don't want to put up with the tedious publication process).

Other than a tiny minority of post-prints, they are as a rule not peer-reviewed at all, so take what you find with a grain of salt.

·
Retired curmudgeon
20,681 Posts

I just tried this out. It works great.

The above article requires membership to read.

Copy URL, paste, done.

·
The Black Death
987 Posts
I do my best to think of the next generation every day.

I collect eBooks/mobi/pdf from Archive.org or Project Gutenberg because with the way things are being cancelled they may not be available for my nephew or niece. In reality they may never read anything that I have saved but my heart is in the right place.

I also save escrima/arnis/kali, boxing, judo, "self defense," and some basic prepper videos.

At the rate that TPTB cancel channels on YouTube and Google filters them out of searches, these items may be impossible to find in 5 years.

It's absolutely shocking to compare the results from DuckDuckGo and Google/StartPage. I use both now if I am looking for something. DuckDuckGo is much better for most things. Google omits tons of information. They are hiding entire topics!!!

·
The Black Death
987 Posts

I just tried this out. It works great.

The above article requires membership to read.

Copy URL, paste, done.
I use an up to date copy of Firefox with the extensions of AdBlockPlus, NoScript, Facebook Container, DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials, HTTPS Everywhere, and Privacy Badger, to pierce and read whatever I want except for the sites of USA Today and WSJ.

·
The Power of the Glave
2,726 Posts
I've been using the Internet since almost the beginning. And it has turned into crap.

Take a look at the typical web page. It's 80% ads, and 20% information.

And the content providers keep shoving more intrusive and bandwidth-intensive popups and ads every day.

It's going the way that "free" broadcast TV has become. Four minutes of ads for every seven minutes of programming.

·
The Black Death
987 Posts
I've been using the Internet since almost the beginning. And it has turned into crap.

Take a look at the typical web page. It's 80% ads, and 20% information.

And the content providers keep shoving more intrusive and bandwidth-intensive popups and ads every day.

It's going the way that "free" broadcast TV has become. Four minutes of ads for every seven minutes of programming.
See my previous post. I never have popups or see ads.

I use an up to date copy of Firefox with the extensions of AdBlockPlus, NoScript, Facebook Container, DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials, HTTPS Everywhere, and Privacy Badger, to pierce and read whatever I want except for the sites of USA Today and WSJ.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts