Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okey Dokey... I work in Wisconsin. A young Mexican comes into the store to buy beer. I 'card' him, for his age. He produces an INTERNATIONAL Drivers License. It's the ONLY form of ID he has that offers a birthdate.

So here is a young Mexican that BARELY speaks English.... claims he got the International Drivers License in MINNESOTA???? yet is living in Southern Wisconsin.:xeye:

Anybody know anything about these International Driver's License?:confused:

·
Christian for Israel
582 Posts
Sounds to me like you encountered a fake ID.

I have had several IDPs in the past. I applied through AAA & they said to ALWAYS have my home state's DL with me along with the IDP. The IDP itself was printed with muliple languages & about the size of passport. It is meant to help facilitate communication in foreign countries & not to be used in lieu of domestic driver's license.

From US State department:

International Driving Permits
Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses, most countries accept an International Driving Permit (IDP). IDPs are honored in more than 150 countries outside the United States. (See AAA’s application form for the list of countries). An IDP functions as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into ten foreign languages. These licenses are not intended to replace valid U.S. state licenses and should only be used as a supplement to a valid U.S. license. IDPs are not valid in an individual’s country of residence. Before departure, you can obtain an IDP from an automobile association authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue IDPs. Article 24 of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (1949) authorizes the U.S. Department of State to empower certain organizations to issue IDPs to those who hold valid U.S. driver’s licenses. The Department designated the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance as the only authorized distributors of IDPs.

Many foreign countries require the deposit of a customs duty or an equivalent bond for each tourist automobile entering their territory, and the motoring associations are equipped with the necessary facilities to expeditiously provide a standard bond document (Article 3 of the Convention). The Convention is not applicable to United States motorists using their cars in the United States.

How to Apply for an International Driving Permit:
Before departure, you can obtain an IDP at a local office of one of the two automobile associations authorized by the U.S. Department of State: the American Automobile Association and the American Automobile Touring Alliance (through the National Auto Club).

AAA (American Automobile Association)
National Auto Club
To apply for an IDP, you must be at least age 18, and you will need to present two passport-size photographs and your valid U.S. license. The cost of an IDP from these U.S. State Department-authorized organizations is less than $20.00.

International Driving Permits Issued by Unauthorized Persons:
The U.S. Department of State is aware that IDPs are sold over the Internet and in-person by individuals not authorized by the U.S. Department of State pursuant to the requirements of the U.N. Convention on Road Traffic of 1949. Moreover, many of these IDPs are sold for large sums of money, far greater than the sum charged by entities authorized by the Department of State. Consumers experiencing problems should report them to their local office of the U.S. Postal Inspector, Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Better Business Bureau, or their state or local Attorney General’s Office.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
I have an international driver's license that allows me to drive in Europe as well as the Middle East. I got mine issued to me in the great state of Texas. It's legit.

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
Is it a United States document?If not its not valid here.I would go with a visa or passport.But hes only buyin alcohol so let the migo get his drink on.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it a United States document?
Heck if I know. It LOOKED like a legit drivers license... except for being a STATE drivers license, it stated INTERNATIONAL DRIVERS LICENSE. :xeye:

I was totally dumbfounded by this. I had 2 thoughts in mind... #1... this is a fake... OR... #2... We really are North American Union and they just haven't bothered to tell us. He DID SAY he got it from the Canadian Border of Minnesota.:confused:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Why a mexican would have one is odd. He must possess a valid drivers license to obtain one and they are not valid to drive with in the country that issues it. I had one to use when I drove in Europe. All in all, Julio needed more than his word to get the document and unless your state allows it to be used as official I.D, I'd send him packing to the next carry-out to try his luck.

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
Heck if I know. It LOOKED like a legit drivers license... except for being a STATE drivers license, it stated INTERNATIONAL DRIVERS LICENSE. :xeye:

I was totally dumbfounded by this. I had 2 thoughts in mind... #1... this is a fake... OR... #2... We really are North American Union and they just haven't bothered to tell us. He DID SAY he got it from the Canadian Border of Minnesota.:confused:
Is no such animal,states cannot issue an international DL.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts

He should have also had a driver's license but what he handed you was legit. I called my buddy at the DMV and he said they have been translating foreign driver's license for a while now. It is true that there has been a rash of fakes going around and he said thats why they are starting to come out with these forms. What do you have to talk to your boss about? You didnt take it did you?

PS mine say International Certificate of License.

·
Registered
195 Posts
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt108.shtm

Here's something you might print out and take to your boss so they know it may be an issue. Since it says " not intended to replace state-issued driver's licenses and should be used only as a supplement to a valid license when traveling in a foreign country. In addition, IDPs are not proof of identity." it may be something to address.

Then again, my contention on the whole thing is if you checked i.d. on the camera, it looked legit, etc. let 'em roll. I'm not suggesting that you sell to people you think are minors, mind you..

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Just curious as to when the USA had to honor non USA driving permits/ID's, except maybe a passport???

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
Just curious as to when the USA had to honor non USA driving permits/ID's, except maybe a passport???
They don't just like they don't have to honor American IDs overseas. There has been some progress in streamlining travel but for the most part no one honors each others. Thats where the "theory" IDP is supposed to come in. Which is actually a good thing if you travel. They are still working out the kinks. A lot of people dont know about it especially in non border states. Imagine if your an international traveller it really sucks having to get a license in every country. For me i'd have to carry 10-12 licenses. Honestly i see it as a good thing.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This has certainly been educational. Thanx y'all. Our store is heavy on the Mexicans, because we sell Mexican beer. It's common for them to present a Mexican Consulate Card (or whatever you call them)... but we don't accept that as ID.

This guy had a Consulate Card and an International Drivers License, but nothing else. He *claimed* he didn't need a State Drivers License. I didn't sell to him... but was completely dumbfounded by this *so called* document. I'm going to talk to the boss on Monday. We just might start to see these more often.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Must be different up here; our government issues international drivers' licences (does say licence on ours, btw). You must first have a valid licence in your home province, before you get an international one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts