Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance for the long read, I don't post often but I enjoy reading this forum and learning from others.

Something that I do not really see anyone post much about is the idea of having a bug-out-location (BOL) outside the USA.
We live near a larger city here in FL which would be a target in the event of a Nuclear war. We (wife and I) have been preppers for many years. We have rural property several hours drive from where we live in which we have developed it into as secure as possible BOL with the ability to be fairly self-sustainable on that property.

However we have been thinking about the idea of getting a small house in the Dominican Republic and having some preps there.
From my research, gun ownership there is legal but you do need a permit which can be purchased.
When you get away from the cities there are a lot of small farms with ample produce and meats (local goat, chickens etc)
There are many pros and cons to this specific county and still more to investigate, but mainly I was trying to see if any others had thought about having a BOL out of the USA.

Many of those countries function much like the USA back in the 1800's where people had life skills and small towns have lots of local meat and vegetables. Many of these places although they do not have the luxuries we have in the USA, they have lived life self-sustainable for all their lives. Boiling water from a local creek is just a normal part of daily life for them for example.

My thought process was to look for a place to go more specifically in the event of a war. A place that would not be a target to anyone and where the winds blow radiation away or would not be dangerous in that location. A place as a back up to a back up. If for some reason we felt that the event coming at that time that we considered SHTF was of a nature that our rural property outside of FL would not work.

Obviously an international BOL would not work if the SHTF situation was sudden and not expected due to simply there would not be any planes flying etc. But if the SHTF event had a few weeks or months warnings. Which I personally believe most situations can be predicted if you stay aware of what is happening in the world at that moment, then you would have time to make a decision as to where to go.

Prepping I totally agree that no one can wait until the final moments to get food, cash, ammo, guns, water, medical items etc ready. Those things requires years of prepping as does the location that you are planning to bug out to or even securing the location if you remain in your present location. I know most survival books, movies always play on a narrative of everyone wakes up and an EMP hit or all the banks just closed or no fuel anywhere or war just started etc etc etc. But in reality I do not think the event will happen totally unexpected on a national scale. Locally, yes some terrorist could set off a suitcase nuke and no one expect that but for something to happen nationally there should be warning signs. For another country to attack the US, they would need to position troops, supplies and thousands of other things. They are not going to just flip a switch and send nukes without already having their own troops and planes prepped and staged. Real war does not happed like that (only in the movies). Not to mention you would see diplomats being recalled and lots of other signs weeks or months in advance. Just look at Ukraine and Russia. Russia did not just send in troops overnight. They staged troops for months claiming to be a training exercise and that was/is a war that did not require crossing 1000 miles plus of ocean. So my point is if people watch what is happening in the world and look for the signs then we should all have at least a few weeks to prepare. This is not a guarantee but chances are we should know or suspect that the time is near. Even with COVID and governments shutting down things, we had warnings and postings as to when this would happen. We did not go to bed one night and wake up the next morning being told to wear a mask. I already had hand sanitizer and masks in my medical preps but still I was able to order several cases of each from Amazon a month or more before supplies dried or prices increased simply from watching the signs and what were were being told or not being told. Now I admit the toilet paper shortage I did not expect that one and had not stocked up on it. But that is the great thing is that all these small events teach us the cracks in our preps and plans.

Anyhow got off topic a little but mainly wanted to know if anyone had ever considered a international BOL if the event that we suspected was going to happen might make our present BOL not usable for the long term as we first hoped for. The cost to buy property and live in other countries is a fraction of what most people think and in a lot of countries people have lived for generations on just want to grown and produced locally. They are not dependent on the supply chains as we are here in the USA so a SHTF situation would not effect them as is would us.

·
Bugged out already
4,911 Posts
I’ve thought a bit about this having spent a lot of time oversees via the military. There are some decent options, but I’d get there now verses after SHTF. My fear is that once Babylon falls, the rest of the world will have little use or sympathy for America’s expats.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Sorry in advance for the long read, I don't post often but I enjoy reading this forum and learning from others.

Something that I do not really see anyone post much about is the idea of having a bug-out-location (BOL) outside the USA.
We live near a larger city here in FL which would be a target in the event of a Nuclear war. We (wife and I) have been preppers for many years. We have rural property several hours drive from where we live in which we have developed it into as secure as possible BOL with the ability to be fairly self-sustainable on that property.

However we have been thinking about the idea of getting a small house in the Dominican Republic and having some preps there.
From my research, gun ownership there is legal but you do need a permit which can be purchased.
When you get away from the cities there are a lot of small farms with ample produce and meats (local goat, chickens etc)
There are many pros and cons to this specific county and still more to investigate, but mainly I was trying to see if any others had thought about having a BOL out of the USA.

Many of those countries function much like the USA back in the 1800's where people had life skills and small towns have lots of local meat and vegetables. Many of these places although they do not have the luxuries we have in the USA, they have lived life self-sustainable for all their lives. Boiling water from a local creek is just a normal part of daily life for them for example.

My thought process was to look for a place to go more specifically in the event of a war. A place that would not be a target to anyone and where the winds blow radiation away or would not be dangerous in that location. A place as a back up to a back up. If for some reason we felt that the event coming at that time that we considered SHTF was of a nature that our rural property outside of FL would not work.

Obviously an international BOL would not work if the SHTF situation was sudden and not expected due to simply there would not be any planes flying etc. But if the SHTF event had a few weeks or months warnings. Which I personally believe most situations can be predicted if you stay aware of what is happening in the world at that moment, then you would have time to make a decision as to where to go.

Prepping I totally agree that no one can wait until the final moments to get food, cash, ammo, guns, water, medical items etc ready. Those things requires years of prepping as does the location that you are planning to bug out to or even securing the location if you remain in your present location. I know most survival books, movies always play on a narrative of everyone wakes up and an EMP hit or all the banks just closed or no fuel anywhere or war just started etc etc etc. But in reality I do not think the event will happen totally unexpected on a national scale. Locally, yes some terrorist could set off a suitcase nuke and no one expect that but for something to happen nationally there should be warning signs. For another country to attack the US, they would need to position troops, supplies and thousands of other things. They are not going to just flip a switch and send nukes without already having their own troops and planes prepped and staged. Real war does not happed like that (only in the movies). Not to mention you would see diplomats being recalled and lots of other signs weeks or months in advance. Just look at Ukraine and Russia. Russia did not just send in troops overnight. They staged troops for months claiming to be a training exercise and that was/is a war that did not require crossing 1000 miles plus of ocean. So my point is if people watch what is happening in the world and look for the signs then we should all have at least a few weeks to prepare. This is not a guarantee but chances are we should know or suspect that the time is near. Even with COVID and governments shutting down things, we had warnings and postings as to when this would happen. We did not go to bed one night and wake up the next morning being told to wear a mF

Prepping I totally agree that no one can wait until the final moments to get food, cash, ammo, guns, water, medical items etc ready. Those things requires years of prepping as does the location that you are planning to bug out to or even securing the location if you remain in your present location. I know most survival books, movies always play on a narrative of everyone wakes up and an EMP hit or all the banks just closed or no fuel anywhere or war just started etc etc etc. But in reality I do not think the event will happen totally unexpected on a national scale. Locally, yes some terrorist could set off a suitcase nuke and no one expect that but for something to happen nationally there should be warning signs. For another country to attack the US, they would need to position troops, supplies and thousands of other things. They are not going to just flip a switch and send nukes without already having their own troops and planes prepped and staged. Real war does not happed like that (only in the movies). Not to mention you would see diplomats being recalled and lots of other signs weeks or months in advance. Just look at Ukraine and Russia. Russia did not just send in troops overnight. They staged troops for months claiming to be a training exercise and that was/is a war that did not require crossing 1000 miles plus of ocean. So my point is if people watch what is happening in the world and look for the signs then we should all have at least a few weeks to prepare. This is not a guarantee but chances are we should know or suspect that the time is near. Even with COVID and governments shutting down things, we had warnings and postings as to when this would happen. We did not go to bed one night and wake up the next morning being told to wear a mask. I already had hand sanitizer and masks in my medical preps but still I was able to order several cases of each from Amazon a month or more before supplies dried or prices increased simply from watching the signs and what were were being told or not being told. Now I admit the toilet paper shortage I did not expect that one and had not stocked up on it. But that is the great thing is that all these small events teach us the cracks in our preps and plans.

Anyhow got off topic a little but mainly wanted to know if anyone had ever considered a international BOL if the event that we suspected was going to happen might make our present BOL not usable for the long term as we first hoped for. The cost to buy property and live in other countries is a fraction of what most people think and in a lot of countries people have lived for generations on just want to grown and produced locally. They are not dependent on the supply chains as we are here in the USA so a SHTF situation would not effect them as is would us.
Sabor,

I have a second place overseas. Both USG and other government have a prohibition on this during a hightened ternsion of a nuc war.

This prohibition also applicable to the airlines.

Some talk of going to New Zealand.

One benefit of living in coastal Virginia a couple of hours drive (in good times) from the metro D.C. swamp is that Tacoma Park, Maryland shares a common border with the D.C. swamp.

Both New Zealand and Takoma Park Maryland are self-declared nuclear-free zones.

·
Barrio Bajo Señor
4,499 Posts
My wife is from Thailand and we built this 4 bedroom 3 bath complex with a huge out door kitchen and full innlaws quarters for her parents with thought of a great bug out location in the back of my mind, they have a farm with a pond that has fish, eels, snails, frogs and crabs, they grow their own rice, mango, papaya and all herbs, bartering is a way of life in the small 5000 people village, if I have to I’ll grab my gold a bug out there
Water Plant Water resources Shorts Sky

Building Property Window Plant Green

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
My wife is from Thailand and we built this 4 bedroom 3 bath complex with a huge out door kitchen and full innlaws quarters for her parents with thought of a great bug out location in the back of my mind, they have a farm with a pond that has fish, eels, snails, frogs and crabs, they grow their own rice, mango, papaya and all herbs, bartering is a way of life in the small 5000 people village, if I have to I’ll grab my gold a bug out there View attachment 455633
View attachment 455632
The place is beautiful !

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
We've discussed Panama. Enough ex-pats there to make you not stand out in a crowd. We've also discussed buying a cattle ranch or coffee plantation in Brazil. We have a lot of family there, and many own acreage, so worst case we could go there. But it would be an all or nothing for us, and I don't see us leaving Texas any time soon. If it got that bad, I'd imagine a lot of other nations will break down as well.

·
Bugged out already
4,911 Posts
My wife is from Thailand and we built this 4 bedroom 3 bath complex with a huge out door kitchen and full innlaws quarters for her parents with thought of a great bug out location in the back of my mind, they have a farm with a pond that has fish, eels, snails, frogs and crabs, they grow their own rice, mango, papaya and all herbs, bartering is a way of life in the small 5000 people village, if I have to I’ll grab my gold a bug out there View attachment 455633
View attachment 455632
Thailand is a nice place and in the rural parts, great people. The government is a bit unstable but the people tend to just roll with the changes.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Dominican Republic and its neighbor Haiti are 3rd world **** holes! Terrible plan!

·
Registered
838 Posts
One thing to really think about when looking outside the US is whether the country is self-sustaining in terms of food. In any scenario involving nuclear war, for example, the whole international trade situation will collapse. A lot of countries rely on food imports to feed their large populations, so you don't really want to be somewhere where that's a problem. Most of Africa and central America fit that bill, in that even if some countries can feed their populations, their neighbors can't.

·
Registered
EDC, GHB, and loads of chocolate!
394 Posts
It's all a matter of timing and where the threat is coming from.
Plus who dislikes you and is nuclear capable.

Timing? How much notice will you have to get transport?
Where is the threat coming from? That determines how much time you will have.
That's down to who dislikes your country. So who dislikes the US?
Take us in the UK. My thinking is everyone has an axe to grind with the UK, and sometimes your friends are never there when you need them (are they Biden), or will cosy up to 'the enemy' won't they "European Union".

There again, Chernobyl in 1986 was about 1500 miles from us and when that blew up, and it gave the UK a dusting of nasty stuff. As usual there were and still are NO SHELTERS (except for the elite and rich). As for Fukushima? Didn't the West Coast of the US get dusted??

So where you run too may be irrelevant unless they are an enlightened nation that has public thermonuclear shelters.

Which leads to the conclusion that apart from getting out of the cities, you need a good shelter. So how deep are your pockets??

Reactions: gwapo54

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I would think Peru would be a decent place.

You can buy a visa to some countries for as little as $30k if you buy a house which are in the $20-40k range. That’s how the rich got out. I think Jamaica was one of them that was relatively cheap.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would think Peru would be a decent place.

You can buy a visa to some countries for as little as $30k if you buy a house which are in the $20-40k range. That’s how the rich got out. I think Jamaica was one of them that was relatively cheap.
Currently, Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia are experiencing serious political upheavals and unrest! Please do more research!

·
Social Deserter
698 Posts
The people with money and private jets to bug out in are doing it. For normies, you would almost have to uproot now to even make it work. I liked Chile due to agriculture being similar to what I’m accustomed to in parts of the country, relatively decent economic/political situations and it being a low risk for radiological fallout.

With that being said, feel free to go to the DR since it is far enough away from me. The Bug Outters are my new favorite group to worry about come SHTF. I used to be afraid of the unprepared but the past few years have showed me it’s the people with enough sense to be prepared but NOT enough commitment to go all in that could potentially present the highest level of risk early on.

·
Registered
355 Posts
After a nuclear exchange, who believes airlines will be operating?

Here's a source for Dominican Republic's firearm's laws
The question is firearm ownership for non-citizens?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts