Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Survival Nerd
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently read One Second After by William R. Forstchen, I found myself wondering what I would do, living in Florida, if I were in the same situation. My first thought was that the effects of an EMP would be limited by some degree over the United States and that Countries like Canada, The Bahamas or Greenland would likely not be affected at all. If I had a sailboat, I could possibly make my way north very easily from Florida if the boat was properly stocked for such a journey.

Assuming I had some hard currency with me (e.g. gold and silver) I would be able to convert into the local currency and pay for goods there. Also, though not ideal, the boat would also give me a temporary home while trying to restart my life in the new country.

This got me thinking even further, having gotten out of the country, assuming I had the resources, I could purchase travel anywhere in the world. Which brings me to my point:

Have any of you considered a BOL (not a survival retreat) or cache locations outside the US?

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Have any of you considered a BOL (not a survival retreat) or cache locations outside the US?
Extensively.

Unfortunately the problem is that not all countries are as welcoming as we are. In fact, most are quite serious about keeping foreigners out, and post-SHTF in America that United States Passport won't open as many doors as it once did. Even our neighbor next door, Canada, may turn away Americans trying to travel there post SHTF on a US Passport, quite aware that they may decide not to leave.

The essential ingredient to have an overseas Bug Out Lair is to have that country's equivalent of at least a green card, if not citizenship.

Which is also exceedingly hard to get unless you have more than $5 million in the bank in most cases.

Even if you solve these problems, the question becomes where. I don't speak Spanish, I'm not going to learn, and that essentially rules out anything to our south. Most of the Caribbean Islands would be interesting places without regular resupply. I'm not even certain that they would be self sufficient for food. That leaves Belize and Canada.

·
Survival Nerd
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Extensively.

Unfortunately the problem is that not all countries are as welcoming as we are. In fact, most are quite serious about keeping foreigners out, and post-SHTF in America that United States Passport won't open as many doors as it once did. Even our neighbor next door, Canada, may turn away Americans trying to travel there post SHTF on a US Passport, quite aware that they may decide not to leave.

The essential ingredient to have an overseas Bug Out Lair is to have that country's equivalent of at least a green card, if not citizenship.

Which is also exceedingly hard to get unless you have more than $5 million in the bank in most cases.

Even if you solve these problems, the question becomes where. I don't speak Spanish, I'm not going to learn, and that essentially rules out anything to our south. Most of the Caribbean Islands would be interesting places without regular resupply. I'm not even certain that they would be self sufficient for food. That leaves Belize and Canada.
All good points. And even if one was able to get citizenship or residency in the country today, there is no guarantee that it would be honored if something drastic happend back in the US.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I would not do international but because I do live on an island I have done a cache of sorts at my parents house on the mainland. I have two long weapons (mini-14 and .243 winchester hunting rifle) and I always travel with a handgun. I have at least 1000 rounds for each firearm (handgun included) at their house and am slowly building up other items. Father is an avid shooter and has a good selection of comping goods/alternative cooking methods and a small generator (enough for heat and to make coffee) with enough fuel for probably 3 months..... now I need to work on their/my food stores in caseI get stuck off the island with the wife.

·
"Nothing is over!"
702 Posts
Any South American jungle will do. Jungles are full of food. Unfortunatly jungles are full of peril too. I spent a little bit of time in one. But I'm not telling which one. It's one of my back-up plans. Can't have everyone else going there it would ruin it.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Any South American jungle will do. Jungles are full of food. Unfortunatly jungles are full of peril too. I spent a little bit of time in one. But I'm not telling which one. It's one of my back-up plans. Can't have everyone else going there it would ruin it.
That's okay Rambo, you can have it. :)

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
EMP means WWIII. No country will not be effected. Unless you have prepostioned yourself in another country you're better off here. Why people think they can show up in another country after the SHTF with Gold nad Guns and think they will have both after the first fifteen minutes is beyond me.

If you have a sailboat(or know where to get a big one) and know how to navigate the world is your oyster. Trade is $$$$$. Hunker down here in Fla. and wait for things to settle down. Imagine the money to be made sailing down to S.A. and bringing back coffee. Throughout history Traders=Wealth.

·
Survival Nerd
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless you have prepostioned yourself in another country you're better off here.
Setting up a cache or BOL ahead of time in another country is exactly the point of the post.

Why people think they can show up in another country after the SHTF with Gold nad Guns and think they will have both after the first fifteen minutes is beyond me.
I can't speak for others, but for my case, I can imagine a range of scenarios that might be only national or regional. Having an option to move out of the country to a location I've setup ahead of time seems logical.

If you have a sailboat(or know where to get a big one) and know how to navigate the world is your oyster. Trade is $$$$$. Hunker down here in Fla. and wait for things to settle down. Imagine the money to be made sailing down to S.A. and bringing back coffee. Throughout history Traders=Wealth.
Very true.

·
Proud Conservative
494 Posts
Interesting post, but if my intentions were to bug out to another country, I would be there already. This is my country, this is my home. This is where I will die.

·
Registered
21,805 Posts
honestly, i can see a foreign BOL only in certain extreme "permanent" environmental disasters, like a significant rise in ocean levels

Reactions: SideSwipe

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
As with so many things, it comes down to how much money you have. If you have a surplus setting yourself up in another country is possible. If not you have to think of the best "use" of that money. Keep in mind that no country will want you if you have no source of income, it won't matter if you own property there or not. Do you have a skill they want and need? Maybe the money is better used learning such a trade?

After money, Personal contacts/ native friends are the next important assest to have. A stranger in a strange land is often a victim.

No country in S.A. or the carib. will be uneffected if the USA is effected. Old hatreds run deep in many of those countries. Just as important as being able to get down there is being able to get out!! Maybe more so. To do it right and safe takes a lot of money. If you spent that money here you might find yourself just as well off.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Extensively.

Everyone one should know this is a gross exaggeration.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
What kind of boat do you have that can either hold enough fuel or transport enough fuel form Florida to Canada?

To answer your question, NO I have not, because in most countries (Canada) you cant have import guns. Not to mention how often would you be able to check on your Cache?

·
Survival Nerd
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What kind of boat do you have that can either hold enough fuel or transport enough fuel form Florida to Canada?

To answer your question, NO I have not, because in most countries (Canada) you cant have import guns. Not to mention how often would you be able to check on your Cache?
45" Catamaran Sailboat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts