Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
OK you list the labs that will do the testing for free and I will buy both straws and send them to be test. If and only if I verify they will do it for free and get the test back to me in a week.

I am excited to know there are such labs. There is a bunch of other stuff I would lie tested. The difference between particular brands of wrist vs. arm blood pressure cuffs; the difference in accuracy of different brands of blood sugar home test; the difference between different brands of % oxygen in blood. My list of couriosity is great.

I embrace you being correct on this. I am excited about seeing your list of "municipal lab and get the lab data back for free in about a week". Please do not delay in your proof of me being wrong.
Do you have a Houston address?
Then here you go: https://www.houstontx.gov/health/Lab/documents/English_drinking-water-information.pdf

You seem to not be cognizant that my tax dollars support that lab and it is for city tax paying residents.

You have to go fetch the city authorized test bottles, deliver them yourself, show your water bill, and write them a $16 check. The $16 is only an admin fee, because private testing runs around $100 locally. The true lab cost burden comes from resident taxes and as such is only offered to verified local users. The test exists for those worried about their tap water but you can submit any sample that isn't obviously raw dirty water.

So you are going to need to contact your own municipality for this lab assistance. You just got bit by your own intended gotcha. You trying to dictate terms and chain of custody ignores the fact you haven't paid into our system. I've paid many thousands of municipal tax dollars for services like this. These are offered all around the nation for their local residents.

Atlanta: http://waterforlifeonline.com/water-testing-service/
Chicago: https://www.chicagowaterquality.org/verifyAccount#tf-home
Indianapolis: http://marionhealth.org/programs/population-health/public-health-laboratory/

Free water testing for residents of designated areas exist all over the nation. You don't get to dictate terms to people who voted and paid taxes into their municipal system. That falls to you where you live, not us where we are.
Wouldn’t the municipal test not really be that good for a sawyer ? Aren’t they not filtering heavy metals? Isn’t the muni test mostly for metals?

Also wouldn’t the person need to actually contaminate the water with bacteria BEFORE filtration to test ? I mean if it’s already clean how does that test a filter ?

·
Registered
14,875 Posts
do you have a houston address?
Then here you go: https://www.houstontx.gov/health/lab/documents/english_drinking-water-information.pdf

you seem to not be cognizant that my tax dollars support that lab and it is for city tax paying residents.

You have to go fetch the city authorized test bottles, deliver them yourself, show your water bill, and write them a $16 check. The $16 is only an admin fee, because private testing runs around $100 locally. The true lab cost burden comes from resident taxes and as such is only offered to verified local users. The test exists for those worried about their tap water but you can submit any sample that isn't obviously raw dirty water.

So you are going to need to contact your own municipality for this lab assistance. You just got bit by your own intended gotcha. You trying to dictate terms and chain of custody ignores the fact you haven't paid into our system. I've paid many thousands of municipal tax dollars for services like this. These are offered all around the nation for their local residents.

Atlanta: http://waterforlifeonline.com/water-testing-service/
chicago: https://www.chicagowaterquality.org/verifyaccount#tf-home
indianapolis: http://marionhealth.org/programs/population-health/public-health-laboratory/

free water testing for residents of designated areas exist all over the nation. You don't get to dictate terms to people who voted and paid taxes into their municipal system. That falls to you where you live, not us where we are.
no we were discussing straw testing you posted water testing. Heck i have the ability to test water for drinking. I spent time over a lab. We tested city water coming into our plant. Used it in processing then processed it returning it to the city supply cleaner than we got it

now where can i send the straws for testing for free?

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,245 Posts
Wouldn’t the municipal test not really be that good for a sawyer ? Aren’t they not filtering heavy metals? Isn’t the muni test mostly for metals?

Also wouldn’t the person need to actually contaminate the water with bacteria BEFORE filtration to test ? I mean if it’s already clean how does that test a filter ?
I'm sure the offerings vary from place to place, but microbe safety is always job one of a municipal service.

But since you live where I do, I can tell you they run a full spectrum suite of tests.

It never hurts to get your tap water checked because the water at the plant isn't exactly what comes out of your tap.

It's just $16 for the paperwork and some driving for us here. You can't beat it. Do a sample from your kitchen tap and a sample sent through your Sawyer and GAC rig from the bayou closest to your house. It's Houston, so there is always a bayou close.

no we were discussing straw testing you posted water testing. Heck i have the ability to test water for drinking. I spent time over a lab. We tested city water coming into our plant. Used it in processing then processed it returning it to the city supply cleaner than we got it
Typing in bold in hopes of trying to overcome the fact you tried and failed on your gotcha attempt moves me not at all.

I know you were really counting on acting so smug and I left you holding...well you know...in your hand.

First you try to claim I'm all emotionally attached when is was you all bent out of shape over it.

Then you take this line:
I can send my Sawyer filtered water to the municipal lab and get the lab data back for free in about a week.

Try actually reading my word choice. I didn't stutter or speak Russian.

My stating that line doesn't obligate me to extending you the same privileges as I have. How is it my problem you can't get what citizens get in Houston? It isn't my problem and you know it. I never once offered a place to physically test your straws. So you created a dare with no leverage or duty to me.

I stated a fact and proved it. My burden is fulfilled. You wanting to add another burden is truly your problem.

Seems you are even more emotionally attached than we all thought.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

I'm sure the offerings vary from place to place, but microbe safety is always job one of a municipal service.

But since you live where I do, I can tell you they run a full spectrum suite of tests.

It never hurts to get your tap water checked because the water at the plant isn't exactly what comes out of your tap.

It's just $16 for the paperwork and some driving for us here. You can't beat it. Do a sample from your kitchen tap and a sample sent through your Sawyer and GAC rig from the bayou closest to your house. It's Houston, so there is always a bayou close.

Typing in bold in hopes of trying to overcome the fact you tried and failed on your gotcha attempt moves me not at all.

I know you were really counting on acting so smug and I left you holding...well you know...in your hand.

First you try to claim I'm all emotionally attached when is was you all bent out of shape over it.

Then you take this line:
I can send my Sawyer filtered water to the municipal lab and get the lab data back for free in about a week.

Try actually reading my word choice. I didn't stutter or speak Russian.

My stating that line doesn't obligate me to extending you the same privileges as I have. How is it my problem you can't get what citizens get in Houston? It isn't my problem and you know it. I never once offered a place to physically test your straws. So you created a dare with no leverage or duty to me.

I stated a fact and proved it. My burden is fulfilled. You wanting to add another burden is truly your problem.

Seems you are even more emotionally attached than we all thought.
But how would I know the sample had contamination before I ran it through the filter? I’d need water I know is contaminated.

I myself am not too worried. I have a lifestraw I’ve never used and a sawyer. The LS is a back up in a GHB.

I’ve also got a lot of pool shock and a really good water filter all my drinking water goes through.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,245 Posts
But how would I know the sample had contamination before I ran it through the filter? I’d need water I know is contaminated.

I myself am not too worried. I have a lifestraw I’ve never used and a sawyer. The LS is a back up in a GHB.

I’ve also got a lot of pool shock and a really good water filter all my drinking water goes through.
I think it is safe to say that any Houston rainwater bayou is a cesspool.

As for your backup Lifestraw in your GHB, do you really want to act life a gazelle at an African watering hole while on foot jogging across Houston during a disaster?

It's not worth your life. Plus, the toxins the Lifestraw cannot filter are in Houston bayou waters. Put that Lifestraw in the trash can and rig up a Sawyer/Platypus combo for the GHB. Add an extra foot of quarter tubing and the Platypus filter to the ziploc bag the Sawyer Mini comes in. It will all fit and give you a complete system.

I think it's time to give that hunk of junk a new name. From this day forward, I would appreciate it being called the Laughstraw. :D:

·
Registered
14,875 Posts

You are right. I am part of a group that test stream water for contaminates both biological and chemical. We calibrate our equipment every month then take water from our local water utility every month before testing stream and river locations.

If the youtuber wanted to do something worthwhile he could have run some actual functional test which would not have destroyed the two lifestraws. If there was a stistical difference he then might have wanted to destroy the straws to answer the question as to why.

He did not even weigh the filters or check the denier of the strands of fiber or even do a fiber count.

The video was nothing more than a child taking apart of something to see what is inside.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,245 Posts
What about the steel Lifestraw. Is it better than the plastic one?
At $55 I would hope so.

At that price you could just about get 2 complete Sawyer and Katadyn GAC filter combos.

And you are still stuck with no versatility with the steel straw. Can't make it into either a gravity or inline system. Can't fill a canteen with clean water unless you spit into the canteen. Basically you are back to the African watering hole sticking your neck out, but this time you have something shiny. Skip the metal straw and you can have two versatile working systems.

Laughstraw. The name fits.

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Other filters oil, water, gas, draw from the outside in, like the sawyer.
It simply makes more sense especially if you expect to flush it out from time to time.
As a filter is being drawn in by the load it colapses and the filtration becomes more significant, going the opposit direction the filter whould expand letting the debris through.
I vote the Sawyer.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

I think it is safe to say that any Houston rainwater bayou is a cesspool.

As for your backup Lifestraw in your GHB, do you really want to act life a gazelle at an African watering hole while on foot jogging across Houston during a disaster?

It's not worth your life. Plus, the toxins the Lifestraw cannot filter are in Houston bayou waters. Put that Lifestraw in the trash can and rig up a Sawyer/Platypus combo for the GHB. Add an extra foot of quarter tubing and the Platypus filter to the ziploc bag the Sawyer Mini comes in. It will all fit and give you a complete system.

I think it's time to give that hunk of junk a new name. From this day forward, I would appreciate it being called the Laughstraw.
I’m fairly sure if I used a lifestraw I’m going to be putting water in a container or bag and drinking that , not putting my head into alligator infested water and slurping.

But again I agree the sawyer is the better product. Although the survivor filter looks to be the cats pajamas as it’s 3 pc. One is basically a sawyer , one is carbon to filter heavy metal and the other is to stop very small things like virus.

Although I’ve seen people just attach secondary filters to the sawyer and get similar results.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Folks here keep trying to discourage people from buying the Lifestraw because of its many shortcomings. This is just one more of them. But it's like trying to discourage them from buying Berkey filters. They buy them first, then come here to see if they made a wise purchase. :rolleyes:
Are you saying to NOT buy a Berkey? If so I am curious why?

·
reluctant sinner
16,674 Posts
I kept waiting for the video guy to reach over and snap his wrist with the rubber bands "Snap outa it" (the day dream). Power tools and that guy seems like he should have the ambulance on speed dial.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,245 Posts
I’m fairly sure if I used a lifestraw I’m going to be putting water in a container or bag and drinking that , not putting my head into alligator infested water and slurping.

But again I agree the sawyer is the better product. Although the survivor filter looks to be the cats pajamas as it’s 3 pc. One is basically a sawyer , one is carbon to filter heavy metal and the other is to stop very small things like virus.

Although I’ve seen people just attach secondary filters to the sawyer and get similar results.
The Sawyer is a great filtration component. It isn't complete. The same could have been said about the Laughstraw if it was able to connect to proper toxin filtration. But that company chose instead to resist the design innovation needed to facilitate connectability.

The Survivor filter has its own problems. Because it pumps it is a destructive technology. You have to force the water through the membrane and that shortens working life. Also those little plastic pumping handles have a tendency to snap off.

Why buy unproven black filters when every other brand uses century old proven clean ceramic?

Berkey's black filters have been plagued with quality problems and the unstable concept of trying to mix carbon directly into the ceramic, likely creating voids in the ceramic microbe protection. That and the fact the filters are Chinese made.

If you already have a Berkey urn then swap out the filters for proven white ceramic filters. The urn is just a metal urn.

·
Super Moderator
65,801 Posts
Along with that Zeke said above, Berkey's have also had problems with the contaminated water leaking past the filter into the clean water below. Why buy one when there are plenty of other, proven options?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts