Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from my weekly run to WalMart. Interesting turn of events. Normally I use my ATM Debit Card at check out but a few weeks ago I decided that when I was heavy on "Pantry Items" I would start paying by cash, as I did today. But, today, paying by cash, the cashier asked for my phone number - which they have never done when using the ATM card.

The interesting point was that when I provided a phone number, she looked at me and said "Army National Guard"? I told her yeah that we were having a picnic this week end. Apparently they have everyone's phone number on WalMart's computer system now and, looks like they are tracking purchases.

So, why would they be doing that?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
give them jam jam-1-time and weather in maimi the number is 526 -5261 put your local prefix on the front of the out part .. ..or that used to be the number down there back in the early 90s time frame . ..as for the ziplock code ..use another town zip..

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
I surely would not give someone my phone number. If given even the slightest crap I would just leave my items and walk out! I have been asked for my zipcode at Harbor Freight and have given it because it gives them little info.

If I wasn't really ****ed off I would ask to speak to a manager. If they didn't make me happy and give up on such a intrusive practice I would email,write and complain to corporate headquarters.

You are the customer they entice into the store with advertising,not a slave to their whims. The store management should have that made very clear to them.

Red

·
Threepin'
4,084 Posts
The interesting point was that when I provided a phone number, she looked at me and said "Army National Guard"? I told her yeah that we were having a picnic this week end. Apparently they have everyone's phone number on WalMart's computer system now and, looks like they are tracking purchases.

So, why would they be doing that?
interesting. i never give my phone number and i always give fake zips if they're being really persistent. that's information they don't need to know; information that can only be used against you (like you said, for tracking purchases in a database, for aggressive marketing/advertising, etc).

·
Survive... for what?
1,412 Posts
I could care less about handing out my Zipcode but I never would give them my Phone #. Like stated above, unless the cashier was cute and just asking for her own use :D: - Then they dont get any of my personal info.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
One the grocery stores I shop at issues a discount card that requires you to give your name and address, I played along and they sent me lots of really good coupons, plus I get a good discount everytime I shop there.

I just got a couple more coupons in the mail today, spend $30 get $3.00 off...what the heck, it's 10% off, I'll take it.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.