Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DNA show that there is quite mixture of peoples in the Appalachian mountains. What I found interesting was for one DNA survey was the number native american genes coming from south of the US-Mex border. Does suggest a mayan presence

DONNIE LAWS
DONNIE LAWS
4.44K subscribers

SUBSCRIBE
NOTE: This Video is my Theory and mine alone on of some possibilities of the origins of some families. (NOT FACTUAL, OPINION ONLY) They are a true original Mountain people of the southern Appalachian Mountains. To this day they are still trying to determine who is and who is not related by DNA testing programs to determine their blood lines. Thanks for watching.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,358 Posts
That used to be a good place to flee to; hiding from some transgression in the regular colonies…then settlers and movers, people passing thru then stayed for various reasons..that place has been a genetic mixing vat for a long time…interesting video…

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If the DNA test companies didn't feed all their data to the FBI I'd have several done. Both to see what my mix is and to compare the results across different companies.

I wonder if the percentages reported for an individual person changes as the testing advances over time, too. It be interesting to have the same company test the same person 10 years apart and see what gets picked up by newer and presumably more sensitive tests.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’m a descendant of Melungeons, and live in Appalachia. I’ve done quite a bit of genealogical research thus far into my people and ancestors. My DNA analysis looks similar to the above. Spain, Portugal, Cameroon, Basque. Will tell you there is no agreement on most genealogy forums concerning the origins. I’ll give the video a watch and comment again later.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If the DNA test companies didn't feed all their data to the FBI I'd have several done. Both to see what my mix is and to compare the results across different companies.

I wonder if the percentages reported for an individual person changes as the testing advances over time, too. It be interesting to have the same company test the same person 10 years apart and see what gets picked up by newer and presumably more sensitive tests.
It does; mine has been updated several times in the last five years.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m a descendant of Melungeons, and live in Appalachia. I’ve done quite a bit of genealogical research thus far into my people and ancestors. My DNA analysis looks similar to the above. Spain, Portugal, Cameroon, Basque. Will tell you there is no agreement on most genealogy forums concerning the origins. I’ll give the video a watch and comment again later.
Some of those that were jews running running from the inquisition, others could have been deserters from various armies, slaves, and indentured servants.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Some of those that were jews running running from the inquisition, others could have been deserters from various armies, slaves, and indentured servants.
Yes. I have an ancestor (A far back Grandfather) by the surname “Carrico”, Portuguese, who got caught up in the Inquisition (was accused of being Jewish, stories differ), lost everything, imprisoned and shipped away. Lots of infighting in heritage groups about origins being Portuguese or African American based with Native American. I haven’t watched your video (chasing a two year old today) but tend toward the origins being shipwrecked Spanish/Portuguese sailors on the Eastern Coast. They intermarried with Native Americans who took in escaped slaves and there you go.
I’m within a few hours drive of the home base of the Melungeon people, they didn’t travel too far away from that area and stuck to the mountains. The persecution of the Melungeons was real, look up a man named Drumgoole when you have time. To be of Melungeon heritage and have it known until recently was a black mark on your character. Most of us never knew our heritage until we started coming down with diseases of only Mediterranean descent and doing DNA studies. I have a cousin who died of one of those diseases a few years ago.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. I have an ancestor (A far back Grandfather) by the surname “Carrico”, Portuguese, who got caught up in the Inquisition (was accused of being Jewish, stories differ), lost everything, imprisoned and shipped away. Lots of infighting in heritage groups about origins being Portuguese or African American based with Native American. I haven’t watched your video (chasing a two year old today) but tend toward the origins being shipwrecked Spanish/Portuguese sailors on the Eastern Coast. They intermarried with Native Americans who took in escaped slaves and there you go.
I’m within a few hours drive of the home base of the Melungeon people, they didn’t travel too far away from that area and stuck to the mountains. The persecution of the Melungeons was real, look up a man named Drumgoole when you have time. To be of Melungeon heritage and have it known until recently was a black mark on your character. Most of us never knew our heritage until we started coming down with diseases of only Mediterranean descent and doing DNA studies. I have a cousin who died of one of those diseases a few years ago.
On one site was a story of a company or so of spanish soldiers that were 'conversos' meaning jews that converted to the christian faith more or less by force. They disappeared. Did they dessert or where they killed by native americans? Some suggested they fled to start a new life. As for a Portugues name, At one time Portugal was ruled by spain for about 80 years and in any case the people of the spanish province called Galicia are quite similar to nearby Portugal. So all sorts of things are possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts