Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with a State Police Officer yesterday. He brought up the topic of government takeover of our rights. He said that 50% of the State Police would be with the people and 50% would be with the government.

What have other people heard.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
He said that 50% of the State Police would be with the people and 50% would be with the government
I would ask him for a list of officers who would be "For the poeple." This way when I called for the police I would say, "Oh by the way, could you send out any one of these fine officers."

·
Gun Luvin Hippie
231 Posts
Every time I've breached the subject with LEOs who are comfortable enough to speak off the record I've got the same response...."Don't rely on the police to follow the book when SHTF" By the book they mean the constitution and my civil rights etc. To them control and order trump individual rights any day when it's their butts on line trying to enforce what ever they or their superiors deem fit. I live in a populous metropolitan area so the LEOs here anticipate different scenarios to deal with than more suburban or rural LEOs.

None the less after several conversations with different officers the message was always the same; albeit conveyed with more diplomatic verbiage and a little more 'hint, hint' innuendos.

Hemp

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
Most people, including LEOs, will do what is necessary to keep their jobs. LEOs already enforce a lot of unconstitutional and unfair laws today (In Rem, drug laws, etc.). In a bad situation they would be even more inclined to go the "conservative" route and maintain the status quo.

In my experience (I was once a federal LEO) many people in LE roles chose that role, at least in part, because they have the kind of personality that likes having authority over others.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Being that the USA is broke, and states are following - How many of those pro government 50% are going to show up for work when the state cant reach payroll? Same goes for troops or any other agency.

The United States government will loose big time if they try and take us over. Iraq is a perfect example - if you cant control insergents there, what makes you think it will be any easier here? All first responders are stretched to the limit. The United States is to big, to spread out to control anything.

·
Banned
468 Posts
Many of the Leo's that I have come in contact with over the last couple of years in several of the largest cities in this country all state the same thing off records. It will be an even split for the people and against the people. Those for the people will leave and defend their families first when TSHTF. They all state the same thing also, that it would be best not to come in contact with Leo's during the first months to year of any TSHTF event. :cool:

·
Registered
222 Posts
The city areas will be the worst by far and the polic WILL act accordinly. Out in the country areas it wont be as bad but odviously on a oficer by oficer basis. Out my way we still have a lot of just good ol'l boy police and troopers that use comon sence. Just like anyone else in life though....it takes all kinds! You can depend on that! The good the bad and the ugly will all be out and about from police to civlians and maybe military!!

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Being that the USA is broke, and states are following - How many of those pro government 50% are going to show up for work when the state cant reach payroll? Same goes for troops or any other agency.
I'll agree and add..What Leo will show up for work when his/her own family may be in danger at home??? None that I know...Family will come first to all first responders, not their jobs, unless their agencies have plans to take care of their families...

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
I think in a total SHTF, society completely melts down type of situation where there isn't even a functioning government then we won't have to worry about 50% "being with us" and 50% being with anyone else. It will literally be small groups of people and families doing what they need to do to survive.

Anything short of that type of scenario I don't believe for one second there will be 50% of the LEO, military or any other government based enforcement squads that will be "with the people" if we need proof of this simply look at history.

During The Great Depression you had current military troops killing and burning out ex military veterans who had marched on Washington for their bonus checks that had been promised to them. You didn't have 50% of those military guys willing to stand with their own veterans much less "the people".

During Ruby Ridge you had 300 LEO guys who didn't think their was anything wrong with trying to kill an entire family because he sold a shotgun with the stock 3/8" too short.

During WACO you had at least 300 ATF and other Federal Jackbooted thugs that burned entire families and innocent people because they believed they owed a tax to the government over firearms violations.

How about the Freeman of Montana or the Native Americans at Rose Bud? Again all situations where you had overwhelming Federal LEO thugs crushing "the people" and their wasn't 50% of them that even questioned what was happening much less stood with them.

By the way these are only relatively recent and American examples. I am sure if you expand this to world history you will find many, many more examples of government militaries, LEO, etc. crushing "the people" without even one standing up to help much less 50%

No, I think as long as there is an even semi-functioning government with jackbooted thugs at their disposal to enforce anything, Constitutional or not you won't find 50% of them willing to help "the people" they will help crush them every single time in the name of enforcing the law.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,565 Posts
I sell firearms accessories and as such, have made a number of friends and acquaintances in various branches of law enforcement and the military. They have all said about the same thing. Some will, some won't. What percentage is anyone's guess. But don't count on them to do the right thing. Especially considering that they will be lied to by their superiors in order to get them to follow orders.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
That's about the same feeling I get from the navy folks I work with 50/50 on doing the right thing. But keep in mind that a lot of military are trigger happy. But also a lot have mentioned that if they don't get paid they won't do kaka. Even when you mention that pay is a privilege and regardless they will still have to come in.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Thats what makes a civil war so horrible. Those LEO who say on will be the worse of the worse. What they won't get is that they can't be attacking the rights of the people during their shift and then go home to the burbs and be safe. When word gets out that they are moving their familes on to special bases it will be time to go underground fast.

·
Banned
790 Posts
I was talking with a State Police Officer yesterday. He brought up the topic of government takeover of our rights. He said that 50% of the State Police would be with the people and 50% would be with the government.

What have other people heard.
I never take anecdotal evidence seriously at all. Even if he is right, the 50% who now claim they are siding with the government will likely reevaluate their loyalty once they discover the hazards they face have increased manyfold while their backup is cut in half. Or they have to decide between protecting their own loved ones or enforcing the government's will. Or their paychecks stop. Or their paychecks won't buy anything.

My best guess (and I admit I am guessing) is that 50% of the cops will probably go AWOL right away, not necessarily on principle. Of the remaining 50%, most will stay only as long as there is a clear benefit to them. They will quit, a few at a time, as conditions become more dangerous or they realize the injustice of what they are doing until all that's left is the 5%-8% who are brainwashed, heavily bribed, power tripping, or what have you, and are going to prop up the government no matter what.

That 5%-8% will be the do-anything extrajudicial thug brigade and are the ones I'm really afraid of.

~Tevin~

1 - 20 of 84 Posts