3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flag Desecration Constitutional Amendment

Bill Number: S J Res 12
Issue: Civil Liberties and Civil Rights
Date: 06/27/2006
Sponsor: Sen Hatch, Orrin G. [UT]

Senator Obama voted NO
Read statements Senator Obama made in this general time period.

Official Title of Legislation:

S J Res 12: A joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States authorizing Congress to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States.

Project Vote Smart's Synopsis:

Vote to pass a joint resolution proposing a constitutional amendment that authorized Congress to ban physical desecration of the U.S. flag.

NOTE: AN AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION REQUIRES TWO-THIRDS APPROVAL IN EACH CHAMBER OF CONGRESS, AND RATIFICATION BY THREE-FOURTHS OF THE STATE LEGISLATURES WITHIN SEVEN YEARS OF THE DATE THE AMENDMENT WAS SUBMITTED.

Senate Passage Vote: 06/27/2006: Failed: 66-34. Record Vote Number 189.

House Passage Vote: No vote taken.

Last Updated: 07/17/2006

Additional Resources:

The Library of Congress (2006). Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States authorizing Congress to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States. (Introduced in Senate)[S.J.RES.12.IS] Retrieved June 30, 2006, from http://thomas.loc.gov

To see Obama's voting record go to ..
http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=9490

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firearm Confiscation Prohibition Amendment

Bill Number: HR 5441
Issue: Gun Issues
Date: 07/13/2006
Sponsor:Amendment: Sen Vitter, David [LA]; Original Bill: Rep Rogers, Harold [KY-5]

Roll Call Number: 202
Amendment Adopted (Senate)
How members voted

Senator Obama voted YES

S Amdt 4615 to HR 5441: To prohibit the confiscation of a firearm during an emergency or major disaster if the possession of such firearm is not prohibited under Federal or State law.

Vote to pass an amendment prohibiting the use of any funds appropriated in the FY2007 Department of Homeland Security Act from being used to confiscate legal firearms during states of emergency or major disasters. (Sec. 540)

House Passage Vote: 06/06/2006: Passed: 389-9. (Roll No. 226).

Senate Amendment Vote: 07/13/2006: Passed: 84 - 16. Record Vote Number: 202.

Senate Passage Vote: 07/13/2006: Passed: 100-0. Record Vote Number: 203.

Conference Report Vote: 09/28/2006: No vote taken.

Last Updated: 09/29/2006

Additional Sources:

The Library of Congress, (2006). Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2007 (Public Print)[H.R.5441.PP]. Retrieved July 25, 2006, from http://thomas.loc.gov

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same Sex Marriage Resolution

Bill Number: SJ Res. 1
Issue: Social Issues
Date: 06/07/2006
Sponsor:Sen Allard, Wayne [CO]

Senator Obama voted NO

S J Res 1: A joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to marriage.

Vote on the motion to invoke cloture on a joint resolution proposing a constitutional amendment defining marriage as consisting of a man and a woman.

NOTE: INVOKING CLOTURE REQUIRES A THREE-FIFTHS MAJORITY OF THE FULL SENATE. IT IS NOT A VOTE ON THE PASSAGE OF THE PIECE OF LEGISLATION, BUT RATHER LIMITS FURTHER DEBATE TO 30 HOURS. CLOTURE IS TYPICALLY USED TO END A FILIBUSTER.

Highlights:

- Prohibits individual states from recognizing marital status and/or legal benefits from any other unions other than that of a man and woman.

Senate Cloture Vote: 06/07/2006: Rejected: 49 - 48. Record Vote Number: 163.

Senate Passage Vote: 06/07/2006: No vote taken.

Last Updated: 06/12/2006:

Additional Sources:
The Library of Congress (2006). Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to marriage. (Introduced in Senate)[S.J.RES.1.IS]. Retrieved June 9, 2006, from http://thomas.loc.gov

CQ.com (2006). CQ Floor Votes. Same Sex Marriage Ban Constitutional Amendment-Cloture. Retrieved June 9, 2006, from http://www.cq.com (Subscription)

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
People are worried about flags and queers, and the whole mess is going down the toilet.
Heres one for you,

S Amdt 2947: Expressing Support for All Men and Women in the U.S. Armed Forces

Vote to adopt an amendment that opposes comments that criticize the honor, integrity, and patriotism of individuals serving or having served honorably in the United States Armed Forces.

NOTE: THIS LEGISLATION NEEDED A THREE-FIFTHS MAJORITY VOTE TO PASS.

S Amdt 2947 to S Amdt 2011 to HR 1585: To reaffirm strong support for all the men and women of the United States Armed Forces and to strongly condemn attacks on the honor, integrity, and patriotism of any individual who is serving or has served honorably in the United States Armed Forces, by any person or organization.

Link to Legislation: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:samdt2947:

They had to vote to support our troops??

WTF?

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
you know- I dont know why we even pay attention to their playforms. When's the last time a president actually did what they promised when elected to office anyway? 1944?

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
No I don't. I have no desire to snuggle up with another man but I am against the Goverment telling anyone what is right or wrong where personal feeling are concerned. I don't believe in legislating morals. What you do in the privacy of your own home is not "Big Brothers" buisness. What if they wanted to ban survivalist? I lived with my wife for 23 years before getting married. Alot of people said I was wrong for doing that but I got one that will stick.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Flag Desecration Constitutional Amendment
This shows excellent judgement on Obama's part. Doing something to the flag, which after all is only a SYMBOL and is not anything in physical reality except for some fibers & dye, should be a form of protected political speech, as it has been found so far by the US Supreme Court.

Banning the desecration of a political symbol is completely inconsistent with the 1st amendment of the US constitution.

HippieSurvivalist

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
Doc, you forgot Obama's one piece of Senate legislation that he introduced:

S-2433

Look it up. It makes for very interesting reading when you follow Obama's convoluted trail involving the Millenium Project, the Stockholm Agreement and linking them up to S-2433. If he has his way, Obama will increase your taxes and ban all private ownership of firearms.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.