Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got a phone call tonight from a (single) older family member.

They are interested in a "snowbird" home 2-4 hours from me here in the Ozarks that they would live in part of the year, and leave to the family as a multigenerational vacation home. (Looking on water, couple lake houses, river, etc.)

I'm already their estate executor and medical power of attorney, have been asked to be involved in the decision, and "it'll be up to me" veto power etc.

I have a bedroom at a friends place, (and they can come here) as my primary BOL, but I'd drive over and check on the place when it was unoccupied, could be on the deed if I wanted to be etc.

Member is... Aware... Of the state of the world and while I don't scream "PREPPER!!' From the rooftops, has commented about how I'd be fine 'if something happened' when I talk about my offgrid solar, orchard, etc. I could add any safe, locked closet of preps, minimal solar etc I wanted.
(I'll plant some fruit trees in the yard, and do a few other things.)

I brought up new construction as an option, and it was well received and something we will consider.... So, that could change things.

Since my 4th surgery I haven't thought about a second location that I can control (vs having a safe and pile of preps in a bedroom I can move out)
But now I should.

So this is mostly just to get the creative juices flowing...

Budget isn't unlimited, but a few thousand in modifications of purpose built is on the table, and I may throw some money at anything I believe worth doing.

100% chance I will be the executor, and as it will be done for cash I may have (up to me) it be in a family trust so no concerns about it taken for end of life expenses.

Property could be from <1 acre to perhaps 5, likely on a river or lake, rural but near a smaller town.

·
Registered
34,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not gonna do a basement.

I live offgrid, so I know a bit about such, micro solar is a possibility but it'll be on grid.

It'll probably be a 2 & 2. Or 3 & 2.

Eta:
Bolted down safe with basic armory is a given, as is a few months of MH, footlocker of clothes, basic.medical and other moveable preps are a given.

What about things that are more "built in" or modified.

Perhaps a 500gal propane tank vs 250.

Fruit trees as I said (and some berry bushes)

geny for well, might add a water tank in line so that there's less need to run it.

That kinda thing.

·
gardener & news junkie
3,245 Posts
geny for well, might add a water tank in line so that there's less need to run it.
Thinking about the well...

You might want to check the well casing and see if there's room to run an additional pipe down there for a hand pump. That way, if the genny runs out of fuel and your solar takes a hit from hail or whatever, you'll still have access to clean well water.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,308 Posts
Sounds like a nice place and good offer for you.

Would be awesome if it had a little outdoor kitchen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts