Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I feel good.... . . .
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed quite a bit of discussion on diabetes, insulin and the need to produce your own insulin in a SHTF scenario. The idea of producing your own is rather far fetched so I would like to offer some suggestions and FYI's.

-Insulin can be bought over-the-counter, you do not need a prescription.

-It has a relatively long shelf live, even if not refrigerated.

-Regular Insulin is inexpensive.

My suggestion would be to keep a rotated stock of insulin on hand. In a SHTF situation one might also consider keeping looser parameters on their blood sugar in order to stretch their insulin stock.

·
Squawker
145 Posts
This is certainly a much better idea than trying to make your own insulin, which is something that I think is simply ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Usually it is one month, it will detoriate faster in warming tempatures. I was not aware that you did not need a prescription.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I've been an insulin dependent diabetic for over 40 years now. I use an insulin pump currently and keep syringes, etc. on hand for times when I may need them but, insulin and administration equipment could be difficult to obtain in a SHTF scenario.
I've been interested in producing my own supply of insulin, should the necessity ever arise, since I read Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. One of the main characters was a diabetic scientist, who knew how to produce his own insulin utilizing sheep.
Despite the fact that I possess quite a bit of survival gear, once I run out of insulin and cannot obtain anymore, I'm up that particular "S" creek with no way to keep rowing in a relatively short period of time.
I have an intense interest in producing my own insulin so that I can keep "rowing" until such time that society improves from the aftermath of a SHTF period, if it ever does. Regardless, I intend to SURVIVE for as long as possible by whatever means I have available. If that means producing my own supplies of insulin, so be it.
Originally, before gene splicing technology became the norm, all insulin was produced from animal sources, cattle and swine primarily but, apparently sheep can also be used.
If anyone can direct me to any source that details the production of animal source insulin, I'd be greatly appreciative. You'd have a hand in saving my life and the lives of many, possibly millions, of others who require this product simply to exist.
It's really not that wacky of an idea. Its something that millions of us think about on a regular basis. We cease the use of insulin, we're all, every single one of us, dead.
Thanks for your help.:cool:

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
I've been an insulin dependent diabetic for over 40 years now. I use an insulin pump currently and keep syringes, etc. on hand for times when I may need them but, insulin and administration equipment could be difficult to obtain in a SHTF scenario.
I've been interested in producing my own supply of insulin, should the necessity ever arise, since I read Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. One of the main characters was a diabetic scientist, who knew how to produce his own insulin utilizing sheep.
Despite the fact that I possess quite a bit of survival gear, once I run out of insulin and cannot obtain anymore, I'm up that particular "S" creek with no way to keep rowing in a relatively short period of time.
I have an intense interest in producing my own insulin so that I can keep "rowing" until such time that society improves from the aftermath of a SHTF period, if it ever does. Regardless, I intend to SURVIVE for as long as possible by whatever means I have available. If that means producing my own supplies of insulin, so be it.
Originally, before gene splicing technology became the norm, all insulin was produced from animal sources, cattle and swine primarily but, apparently sheep can also be used.
If anyone can direct me to any source that details the production of animal source insulin, I'd be greatly appreciative. You'd have a hand in saving my life and the lives of many, possibly millions, of others who require this product simply to exist.
It's really not that wacky of an idea. Its something that millions of us think about on a regular basis. We cease the use of insulin, we're all, every single one of us, dead.
Thanks for your help.:cool:
This topic has been talked about multiple times on this forum. Feel free to use the search key to locate.

If you can produce insulin post shtf, you will be one of the richest people in the world when the dust settles.

As for the gods honest truth, well, good luck with that idea. There is no easy why to say it but if the shtf long enough or eotwawki and you are diabetic you will have problems.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Yep, I realized about the Search function and did just that after I posted this.
I found a few threads and followed them.
I'm going to do a fair amount of research and exhaust all possibilities for personal insulin production. Aside from being a grand commodity post SHTF, I could save funds currently by not purchasing $100+ bottles of insulin.
But, we'll see what happens.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Learn all you can about the momordica charantia, the vegetable insulin. It has a lot of research to back it up. It tastes awful but you can raise it in the summer, make the leaves into dry tea and preserve the green gourds. It ain't like a shot but it is better than nothing.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Learn all you can about the momordica charantia, the vegetable insulin. It has a lot of research to back it up. It tastes awful but you can raise it in the summer, make the leaves into dry tea and preserve the green gourds. It ain't like a shot but it is better than nothing.
Thanks! This is good info.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi, Will -

As you’ve probably discovered by now, SWZ-Ben started a thread some time back that included a detailed protocol for producing insulin by the original 1923 Banting-Best method.

I’ve got to hand it to guys like you and Ben; you’re determined to pull through even if you have to make this stuff. If I could find a survival group that had just five guys with that kind of determination, my worries about the future would be over.

That’s why I feel obligated to let you know exactly what you’re getting into if you’re considering manufacturing your own insulin...

First of all, you’ll need:

A refrigerator
A freezer
And enough electricity to run both

The first two items are going to be easy to find in a post-Collapse world. The third is going to a little problematic, to say the least.

You’ll also need a few other odds-and-ends from around the house, like:

A high-speed centrifuge
An analytical balance
A vacuum distillation apparatus
A vacuum filtration apparatus
Electric heating mantles
A tissue grinder
Mechanical stirrers
An autoclave
A pH meter, or some other method accurate to 0.1 pH unit...

... filtration funnels, sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, sodium hydroxide, ethyl alcohol, ammonium sulfate, cresylic acid, and volumetric glassware, plus the knowledge and experience to use all of the above.

Oh, yeah... there’s one other little essential ingredient:

Sheep. Lots and lots of sheep. Or cattle, if there’s enough room in the back yard.

And here’s the killer, Will: the method that Ben found doesn’t even produce pure insulin. It concentrates insulin along with a number of other species-specific proteins that can cause severe allergic reactions (and even anaphylactic shock) in humans after repeated administration, as Banting and Best found out in their first clinical trial. If you want to use this stuff, you’ve got to purify it further, and that requires a column chromatography setup. And then you’ve got to standardize the stuff, which requires a UV spectrophotometer. And then you’ve got to sterilize the stuff, which requires ultra-microfiltration equipment. And then you’ve got to... well, I think you get the picture, Will.

I’m not so arrogant as to say that it’ll be impossible to produce insulin after the Fall of Western Civilization, but it sure as hell ain’t gonna be very practical.

I’d be a pretty poor excuse for a co-survivalist if I didn’t offer a solution along with a criticism, so consider this, Will...

Take the energy and resources that you were going to spend on investigating ways to produce insulin, and turn them toward strategies for stockpiling and preserving it. There are brands of insulin on the market right now with an unopened shelf life of two years. I’ve heard (but haven't confirmed) that there’s a brand available in Europe that has a shelf life of three years. Refrigeration? Earth-sheltered storage facilities can retain cool, constant temperatures for decades without refrigeration equipment.

You can see what I’m driving at: find ways of stockpiling and preserving enough insulin to get past those critical first years after the Fall. There’s a good chance (a really good chance) that within three years the survivors will have coalesced into large enough groups to make small-scale manufacturing processes like this possible. (Remember, we’re talking 1920’s biochemistry here; it ain’t rocket science.)

SWZ-Ben’s last post on his thread mentions that he was looking into stockpiling strategies. You might want to send Ben a PM and see what he’s up to these days; you’ve both got a common cause here.

And whatever you do, Will, don’t lose that attitude; it’ll see you through when all technology fails.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks for the info Navigator.
Long term storage is part of my plan. My main trade is HVAC/R so, refrigeration will probably not be that big of a problem and, much of the tools I use can be used in the production of insulin, if I get that far.
A for instance is my vacuum pumps, I can use them for the vacuum distillation process rather handily, vacuum filtration will take a bit more research. Electricity I'm prepared to handle with materials I have handy and, I know of means to produce a wind powered generator. I'll likely have electricity at some point afterwards.
Since I live not too far from several major medical centers, after the fall I may be able to scrounge up bits and pieces for the production.
Long term storage is the main thing though. I currently obtain more insulin than I use per month and keep the rest in the fridge at all times, the one I'm using stays in my insulated medical kit and will ride out summer heat quite easily with no loss of quality, been doing this for years and no problems.
I understand your concerns about testing and quality, I've pretty much made up my mind that, if I can successfully produce insulin of sufficient purity and quality, I'll use myself as the guinea pig. I won't do anything else since it's my life on the line anyway, gotta go sometime.;)
There's also cattle farms and lots of feral hogs all around the area so, critters won't be excessively difficult to obtain.
My main effort will be to keep on living for as long as possible after the fall so that I may be able to provide as much as I can for the continued well being of my family, then I'll accept the inevitable. But, I'm still going down fighting.:thumb:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Will, come hell or high water, I believe you are going to pull through. :thumb:

·
Registered
688 Posts
There's a documentary about type I people reducing and even getting rid of medication by going on a vegan raw food diet. Might be worth a try.

I'm type II and in the last 3 weeks I've noticed better numbers but I'm not going whole hog into raw. I'm aiming for 80%.

·
Registered
1 Posts
insulin shtf

I recently read info on a site that said you could mash up cattle pancreas mix with water and inject as a very basic insulin is this true cause I'm type one and every time I see an end of the world movie I get really deppresd

Tks

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I recently read info on a site that said you could mash up cattle pancreas mix with water and inject as a very basic insulin is this true cause I'm type one and every time I see an end of the world movie I get really deppresd

Tks
thats a very scary thought. where did you hear that?

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
thats a very scary thought. where did you hear that?
I think it would be more dangerous than the diabetes!

Somebody said once that insulin is stored in a powdered state and is then reconstituted in sterile water. They also aid that they had not been eble to get any themselves. Still, it might be worth keeping your eye on it!

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I think it would be more dangerous than the diabetes!

Somebody said once that insulin is stored in a powdered state and is then reconstituted in sterile water. They also aid that they had not been eble to get any themselves. Still, it might be worth keeping your eye on it!
I have heard of this but also that the dry stuff didn't reconstitute very well.

we have 29 months stored in our fridge for our daughter. I have looked at the process for making insulin but Im not sure I have the skills needed or the equipment to make it consistently.

Reactions: Kansas Terri

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great post!!! I'm impressed by your knowledge on insulin in general. My question to you is what is the name/brand of insulin that has a two year shelf life? Obsously Europe has access to anything medically related to diabetes before we do. It's unfortunate but if you know the name of this three year brand maybe one day it will be easier to access. Thanks for your help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts