Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a Mennonite and Amish communities near me so I visit their bulk food stores and stock up on dried food. I also try to keep a good supply of dehydrated, cold smoked, and canned meats on hand.

I had enough of the MRE's dehydrated pork patties to last me more than a life time. I will stick with real food.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Maybe plain instant mashed potatoes keep, not the ones with added butter, cheese, and other ingredients.
Whole grain cornmeal goes bad pretty quick, I keep in fridge or freezer. You might have better luck with degerminated cornmeal but whole grain tastes much better and has better nutrition. Or store whole grain and mill it just before use like Indians did. You might read up on nixtilmization to prevent pelagra when eating a corn heavy diet. A limited non varying diet can lead to deficiency even with enough calories.

·
patriarch
4,911 Posts
I think there will be a huge learning curve for people who do not cook meals from scratch. All of those ingredients can be stored in bulk, mixed together to make a great meal. I would start with gravy. Gravy is eaten with everything. White gravy, chicken gravy, brown gravy, auju, & etc. Seasonings, seasonings can change the flavor of the same dish so it can be eaten to taste Mexican style, Italian, etc. Like chili pepper, black pepper, salt oregano , basil, cinnamon, sage & etc. just to name a few. Then there is bouillon. Flavored bases.
Add pasta to your bulk storage. It can be added to many dishes to enlarge the dish, make it feed more people. These are good ideas. I would start with flour, salt, sugar, beans, rice, pastas, canned meats, tomatoes ( juice, whole, paste, chopped), potatoes, onions, oatmeal, crackers, peanut butter, jellies. Hope this helps. The list is huge. Just keep researching. Look at ole recipes, take note of the ingredients.
I'm not dissing ready to eat meals, they have their place. Many time we are too tired to cook from working, traveling, or etc, Just a can of soup or box meal can be a life saver.

·
Dirt Dweller
1,038 Posts
Option one is, hopefully to shelter in place. You may not like it but option 2 is what to do if YOU MUST BUG OUT. You have to have food that is portable. MRE, back packer or any freeze dried or mylar bagged food.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I'm thinking that I may want to get some supplies that will store for a long time just in case the SHTF. I'm thinking of various rice flavors, dried and canned beans, spices cooking oils, pasta etc. What else would you buy and why? Thanks.
You've been a member of this site for eight months. Getting supplies that will store for a long time is pretty much the basis of this whole place. What have you been working on all these months that you're just now thinking about getting supplies? Not trying to give you a hard time, but have you looked at any threads in the food section? There is a world of information already here.

·
Indefatigable
21,543 Posts
Some things not yet mentioned - Dried fruit, dry roasted nuts and seeds, cracked dried corn, lentils, cracked wheat, Vienna sausages, whey powder.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You've been a member of this site for eight months. Getting supplies that will store for a long time is pretty much the basis of this whole place. What have you been working on all these months that you're just now thinking about getting supplies? Not trying to give you a hard time, but have you looked at any threads in the food section? There is a world of information already here.
Danggggggggggg shots fired!

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
I just store the expensive stuff LTS. That is meat and veggies. I also keep a large stock of multi vitamins on hand.

for the cheap stuff( grains ) I store med term. So get a few 50 pound sacks of flour , rice , etc. use what you need and then discard the rest before it spoils. , buy more to replace. Same with pasta.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Cracking grain shortens shelf life.
Nuts in shell keep best. Roasted nuts do taste better but can be oversalted. Also fairly short shelf life. Even raw shelled nuts don't keep that long and I try to keep them and edible seeds in freezer.

·
patriarch
4,911 Posts
I think the Florida Man is like some of my family. They been sleepwalking right through this thunder storm or have been in a trance. The Biden administration has awakened um out of their trance. Reminds me of a fighter who comes out of a coma, they come out fighting. :unsure: What the hell happened?

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
4,524 Posts
Dried mashed potatoes keep well, I bought a crapload on a close out 10+ years ago for .10 a 16oz box and still using it
Well, they do IF they're Only dried potato flakes,when they add oils/flavors etc.. they don't and won't

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm thinking that I may want to get some supplies that will store for a long time just in case the SHTF. I'm thinking of various rice flavors, dried and canned beans, spices cooking oils, pasta etc. What else would you buy and why? Thanks.
Start looking through the food and water section. It has a ton of already posted info that is really great for a first time food stockpile and long term. It may save you some time with some of your questions. Start with the basics first and then branch out however you choose to do so when it comes to buying food.

You have to start somewhere and don’t sweat it too much. Research and buy as long as you can afford to do so. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I've already bought a number of things but due to limited storage (just moved from a house to a townhouse and lost 1000 sq ft of space not to mention my attic storage) I have not gotten as much as I feel I'd need, and I am interested in hearing what people, like you Monique, have to offer as far as ideas that I may not have thought about.
I have the following:
Rice, canned and dry beans, water purification methods, a metric **** ton of hygiene supplies, a man made portable shower made from a Home Depot bucket and PVC fittings (I'm big on cleanliness), spices, lots of salt, sugar, pasta, plenty of liquor, canned vegetables, honey, batteries, radios, matches and lighters to make fire, medications for all kinds of **** (not OTC stuff either), ways to neutralize hostiles, lots of rope and knowledge of how to tie knots, multiple types of cutting tools, propane stoves, cooking oils, hand tools, and ways to store water.

So, I've not been sleepwalking through the past few years like some have suggested. Some of you have more experience in this stuff than I do and thus the question. I like hearing and reading about new ideas and ways I can care for my family when the SHTF.

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and contributions. I have certainly learned a few things and gained some new ideas. I sometimes take the easy way out and just ask you all about your thoughts/experiences instead of reading all the wealth of information that is here. I work full time and am also a student right now and thus I'm busier than a 1 legged man in an ass kicking contest.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
What is a "wise food"? A brand? And why do you advise against it?
Curious... why no Wise?
From the respected people here I have learned that Wise Foods food lacks good flavor, has excessive amounts of salt with minimal amount of calories. Their serving size is also quite small. Their Shelf stability is also significantly shorter than many other competitors. They have such a bad name that they sell their foods under many different names so that people don’t catch on.

Then you have mountain House (Oregon foods?) that have been a staple of the outdoor and prepping community for decades and have an extremely good track record.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts