Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm thinking that I may want to get some supplies that will store for a long time just in case the SHTF. I'm thinking of various rice flavors, dried and canned beans, spices cooking oils, pasta etc. What else would you buy and why? Thanks.
I think you've got it covered for store bought, unless they have some Mountain House or Augason Farms.

At least if we're talking long term 10+ years.

·
Registered
13,993 Posts
Canned meats, rice, beans, wheat and flour, sugars (various types and forms, like honey or other things) and spices. Various oils, like olive, canola, and shortening. Baking powder and soda, corn starch, cream of tartar. Butter in some form, canned or powdered. Cheese powder, beef and chicken bases (bullion cubes or other types) and gravy mixes as well. Good for flavor and thickening, not just gravy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is a huge topic. If you're really serious, get ready to invest some time and effort in research, and many hours watching YouTube. Start with the easy, low hanging fruit stuff, so to speak. 5 gallon buckets of rice, beans, pastas, all types of grains, for example. And don't forgot to consider water and how you're going to prepare all this stored food when there is no power or gas.

·
Dirt Dweller
1,075 Posts
First get mylar bags. They come with the appropriate oxy tabs. Fill them with rice, pasta and various beans. I like Costco but other places are good too. I get canned chicken, tuna and salmon. Other things like Hormel meats, canned hams, yes, spam too. Look for dried potatoes, eggs. I even have freeze dried butter. Don’t forget 10 pounds of salt. Buy lots of Dawn detergent, it has many many uses. Baking soda has many uses also. We buy warm hurricane milk but I’m sure powdered milk is good too. Keep in mind, this is survival not gourmet dinning. Check for canned veggies by the case. I have to stop I’m getting hungry. Be sure you have a replenishable source of water.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
36,694 Posts
I'm thinking that I may want to get some supplies that will store for a long time just in case the SHTF. I'm thinking of various rice flavors, dried and canned beans, spices cooking oils, pasta etc. What else would you buy and why? Thanks.
Lots of freeze dried beef. I already have the beef. I'm going to cook many pounds of it. Each batch will have a different spice mixture added to break up the monotony. I'm about to pay off a new freeze dryer. After cooking the meat and spicing it up, I will freeze dry it. It will have a 25 year shelf life.

I'm also going to freeze dry certain vegetables and berries.

Doing it this way will insure two things: That I'm stocking up with the highest quality foods and that the process will be done in sanitary conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Best if you vacuum seal any & everything you buy !.

And stock up on peanut butter [ unless you are allergic ],it is high in energy and carbs and yes fat.

All of which you will need in a SHTF scenario.

Look hard at the cans you buy,many are now thw easy open types and as such are NOT as long lasting as the old school "can opener required" ones.

And do buy a few can openers too !.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Season for baking sales is coming up. So things like butter, flour, sugar, chocolate.
Oatmeal, has been higher priced locally since covid.
Baking powder does lose its kick so I don't like to get more than a can or two. I prefer Rumsford or trader Joes because no aluminum. Baking soda keeps but you need to use with an acid like buttermilk or cream of tartar.
Peanut butter does have a shelf life so rotate your supply.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I’ve concentrated on canned foods. You can cover several food groups, along with the liquid in the cans. I live in a drought prone area, water is precious.
I'm also heavy into cans for a lot of reasons.For me,hurricanes are the reality for SHTF vs.zombie fantasy .So much work to do,its nice to pop open a can of soup or raviolis ,have a quick hot meal,ready in 2 minutes,little to no prep time and clean up.
I also have some oils and peanut butter,but no expectation of it being LTS,like in the title.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Rice and chicken bouillon. I also store popcorn to grind and make fried cakes with. They have found edible corn in clay pots of indian pueblos 100 yrs old... if I remember right.

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
I buy prepackaged freeze dried food. But instead of “meal kits” I buy a lot of ingredients. Beef, chicken , eggs , vegetables and fruits. I store these 30 year shelf life canned goods along with flour and rice and pasta.

this way I can have meat and eggs and veggies along with my bulk starches.

I also store some pre made freeze dried foods in number 10 cans. But these are for variety.

I’ve found the freeze dried foods are not such a bad deal when looked at over the shelf life of the product IF you avoid the emergency kits , breakfasts , etc.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts