Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, thanks to those of you who posted in my other thread because I was debating on a Hi-Point or Kel-Tec 9mm carbine and you steered me towards an SKS: Recommendation thread LINK

I listened and got me one but major thanks go to Grinnan Barrett because he went to a few gun shops and found the place that had them the cheapest.

Here is what I got:
SKS YUGO 59/66 (used, not new) $199
Tapco Fusion adjustable stock $78
Tapco 20 round polymer detachable mag $20

So for the same price as the Hi-Point and cheaper than the Kel-tec Sub 2000 I now have me a nice SKS.

I used 2 cans of Gun Scrubber but should have gotten three. Gun Scrubber got rid of most of the cosmoline and that is what the stains on the original stock are. It still had the cleaning kit in the butt and if I wanted to use the wooden stock, a light sanding and refinishing would have made it look great. I forgot to get Rem-oil so before I shoot it I have to take it apart and lube it up.

I've never took one of these apart, so I just took it apart by the computer and paused and rewinded the vid as needed:

This other vid helped also (notice that he doesn't use the Tapco mag)

The stock has a rail on the gas tube assembly but I would like to get a replacement receiver cover that has a rail on it to attach an Aimpoint knock-off. Part of me is thinking about getting a scope instead of an Aimpoint. I know they are for different purposes in that an Aimpoint is for quick target acquisition at close range so I'll see what I do there. What do you guys use if anything?

I was going to remove the grenade sight ladder but Grinnan Barrett told me not too because of the gas hole. The pic is a little fuzzy, but the button/lever that locks the sight ladder opens and closes this gas hole.

Someone had mentioned that the polymer stock makes the SKS heavier but it is now lighter. Originally it was 9.4 lbs. and is now 8.8 lbs., but part of this may be due to not using the cleaning kit in the butt of the wooden stock and also the long cleaning rod. One plus for the wooden stock is that it would balance the weight of the bayonet better.

Oh yeah, one last thing. At first I was denied the gun and was told to call back in 8 days to find out why I was denied. Well after 8 days passed they didn't get a call from BATF or whoever it is that they call whenever you fill out the form so I was able to pick it up. So if you get denied, don't give up hope because you still might be able to get one.

Thanks once again and sorry for the long post but I was an SKS virgin and never handled one of these before so if I can do this anybody can.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Yugo is a good SKS choice.

Suggest you get a couple hi-cap mags (20-rounders), tapco or USA metal if you can find one while you can.

However--the Tapco stock is not the best way to go.
They're expensive for what you get, and the poly feels cheap.
The extendable butt-stock is also cheaply made--its loose.
Also a pistol grip is out of place for this rifle.

I suggest for anyone else who goes this route--a chinese fiberglass jungle stock.
When fitted correctly (tight).it gives the weapon a sturdy, solid fee--along the lines of an M1-A.
The tapco furniture does not
When done with a jungle stock, sand down the mold lines, patch and fill any minor imperfections with bondo.
The texture (for positive grip) or camouflage paint it, or both

As for cosmoline--deisel fuel cleans it off real nice.

T

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Gas works better and is cheaper .

I think you made a great choice over the other 2 you had in mind , and I hate SKS's , good guns they may be , but ...........................once you have an M1A or a FAL the rest are just not worthy .

·
Registered
248 Posts

I think you made a great choice over the other 2 you had in mind , and I hate SKS's , good guns they may be , but ...........................once you have an M1A or a FAL the rest are just not worthy .
I agree with you, but for the price can an SKS be beat?

OP - Good choice on the SKS, I have 2 both Chinese (One a para carbine model). I sold both my Yugo's.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I successfully used mineral spirits (paint thinner) to remove the cosmoline from my sks. Used carb cleaner to clean the trigger group.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yugo is a good SKS choice.

Suggest you get a couple hi-cap mags (20-rounders), tapco or USA metal if you can find one while you can.

However--the Tapco stock is not the best way to go.
They're expensive for what you get, and the poly feels cheap.
The extendable butt-stock is also cheaply made--its loose.
Also a pistol grip is out of place for this rifle.

I suggest for anyone else who goes this route--a chinese fiberglass jungle stock.
When fitted correctly (tight).it gives the weapon a sturdy, solid fee--along the lines of an M1-A.
The tapco furniture does not
When done with a jungle stock, sand down the mold lines, patch and fill any minor imperfections with bondo.
The texture (for positive grip) or camouflage paint it, or both

T
I looked at different stocks and the most popular are the the T6 (which is the Tapco style I got), Dragunov, and Monte Carlo. Before purchasing, I went to Youtube and the overwhelming majority of replacement stocks are the Tapco and also read many other users who loved it and recommended it on other websites.

The pistol grip feels perfect and solid, just like the other 7.62x39 rifle (AK 47) but much, much cheaper. The adjustable stock is a little loose but you will not notice that unless you are shooting from the hip. I know some do not like polycarbonate stocks, not even on pistols, but I like it. The plus that I see with the wooden stock is that you can pop someone in the head with the butt if they got too close (then again a bayonet would take care of that problem).

Speaking of bayonets, a friend is going to give me a spike bayonet to replace the blade so I will see how that feels inside the stock. If this didn't have the bayonet, then I could have gotten a stock that has a rail on the bottom and later added a fore-grip or light.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
I can't say this enough, LEAVE THE SKS AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE. TAPF***ING AN SKS IS A WASTE OF MONEY, and I sure as hell wouldn't stake my life on the functionally of a 20rd plastic magazine... Leave the gun as-is and spend the$$ on ammo and stripper clips.

Know the difference between my Yugo SKS and your Yugo SKS? I know mine will work if I have to stake my life on it.

If you want an AK, go get an AK.

·
"Et si omnes ego non"
246 Posts
I can't say this enough, LEAVE THE SKS AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE. TAPF***ING AN SKS IS A WASTE OF MONEY, and I sure as hell wouldn't stake my life on the functionally of a 20rd plastic magazine... Leave the gun as-is and spend the$$ on ammo and stripper clips.

Know the difference between my Yugo SKS and your Yugo SKS? I know mine will work is I have to stake my life on it.

If you want an AK, go get an AK.

I'm not a fan of Bubba and his evil gun sporterizing ways either.

BUBBA STOP!!!!! LEAVE THAT GUN ALONE!!!!!!

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
I'd love to get my hands on another decent SKS for $199. A different stock and maybe some day glow sights would be the only things I'd consider changing.
Now get all the ammo you can.

I hope we get a range report on how your SKS functions.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Good for you! Its always better to have a real weapon! but I would have kept the wood stock. Turns out its actually kinda rugged.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
I get really tired of people talking down the SKS. I do not own an SKS because I cannot have anything else I own one because I want to and it stays just the way I bought it, ten round clip, wood stock, spike bayonet, etc.

Once you start bubbaing and SKS you can never be sure it will do it's job. Leave it stock and you will always have a rifle that goes bang when needed. All the aftermarket stuff makes the sales people rich and you wish you had bought more ammo.

Most important is the sight alignment tool, then ammo, then strippers, then practice. And if you use corrosive ammo or are not sure use ammonia and water to clean the bolt and bore.

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts

If you live somewhere the It get real HOT outside around 85 to 100 degrees F. You can just leave it out in the HEAT for 2 to 4 days and this work very well. Just put a pan under it to catch the drippings.

Or if you have an old cast iron bath tub fill it with water and heat the tub with propane and boil the crap out of it. Then air dry..

Just some more helpful DIY tips..
In the winter time I have use gas as well work very well.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts