Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got energized. That wasn't supposed to happen, and now I can't sleep. I WANT to sleep, but my body is denying it to me. I even did some pull ups, but those didn't help.

The ambien didn't even help either. I'm at a loss.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
I got energized. That wasn't supposed to happen, and now I can't sleep. I WANT to sleep, but my body is denying it to me. I even did some pull ups, but those didn't help.

The ambien didn't even help either. I'm at a loss.
It's just our chemical and gene makeup i guess..I have been like that too....I was into running an average of 67 miles a week and running marathons in the 1980's and have been excercising all my life...At one point i was sleeping about 3 hours a night.I got on Xanax for about 4 years...I was taking enough to knock out 2 or 3 normal people and finally i got off it myself as a way to get better sleep.......................I have been on Ambian 12.5mg and also tried Zolpidem Tartrate 15 mg and it helps...IF i take 20 mg it's best for me,but i just have come to the conclusion that's the way my body is...I still workout some but lack of sleep catches up to a person...I work outside alot too.....I have numerous doctors over the years "it's like my adrennal gland turns on and i can't turn it off"........i wish i could help more but knowing your not alone helps some.....

·
Your jujitsu is no good
177 Posts
Working out early in the day and reducing caffeine helped me a lot. For the occasional restless night I take some valerian root. Are you using any supplements?

·
Live Clean, Fight dirty
1,377 Posts
If it is possible maybe change your routine I knew a guy who would wake up 2 to 2 1/2 hours before work, to work out out. Also just watch your diet keep all caffiene out of your diet after lunch instead of pop or coffee drink water.

A couple suggestions anyway, Good luck and stay safe.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,823 Posts
They say it can be activating if you exercise near sleep time. 'They' say to exercise quite long before bedtime. I actually never found exercise at all sleep inducing, whenever I do it. It's more if I have been steadily active all day, then I might sleep better.

I don't know your history with Ambien and if it worked in the past. But, Ambien is activating. It might come as a surprise to some people, but it is. It can help the active process of falling asleep, the switchoff is actually an active process, you don't just 'fall' asleep.

The med helps with that, plus basically drugs you up. What is bad is if you miss that window where you're drugged up, the med will actually be just activating (and in some cases decreasing impulse control). I 'knew' someone who got so perked up on Ambien she went out to party after she took them! So if you're prone to miss that window when you can fall asleep, Ambien might be wrong for you.

Also, some people are immune to Ambien and will never have any effect whatsoever.

Just a little story. There was a mom that nursed his son at home, he was in a vegetative state. That means awake but not aware and cannot communicate. Still, he often wriggled in his bed and moaned a lot. The mom gets the bright idea, like maybe she should give him her Ambien, since she can't sleep because of his moaning. So done. She is about to go to bed. He is dead silent. She is like WTH, that is some good sleep med, he fell right asleep. She goes to check on him. He isn't asleep' He isn't in the vegetative state. The Ambien actually was so activating it brought him out to be awake and aware. She would talk and he would answer.

Maybe doc can give you something else if you really need a sleep aid and this keeps repeating?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Your workout should end 3 hours before you go to sleep to give your body a chance to "rev down" and relax. Also, I don't drink caffeine after 1pm. I go to bed at 10pm.

But the same is true for me. During my peak workout months (summer) I sleep less and feel just fine when I wake up. If you feel fine when you wake you, you are getting enough sleep. Don't take pills just to force yourself to get 8 hours of sleep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts