Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 3 quart Instant Pot as part of my ongoing preps. My plan is to hook it to a solar panel/inverter/battery backup system so I can use it when the power is out for a few weeks due to weather etc...

I didn't see a thread on instant pot recipes so I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we could all share tips, tricks and recipes of quick easy meals made using the instant pot.

My first try was a dismal failure so I'll just skip to the second attempt... Jambalaya with Hickory Smoke Spam.

I use a can of hickory smoke spam diced up, a package of Jambalaya Girl brand Jambalaya Seasoned Rice and 1-3/4 cup of water. Cut the spam into cubes, sautéed it for about 5 minutes with a little butter and then added the water and the seasoned rice packet. Set the instant pot to 'rice' and let it go... 15 minutes later I was eating some pretty good jambalaya. Not like what I make from scratch (I'm cajun) but it was an acceptable quick and easy alternative.

I like the fact that it used less water to cook the rice than the regular stove top method and was faster.

Anyway.... share your tips, tricks and recipes if y'all feel like it.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s just me and the wife. I got the 3 quart because I didn’t want to make bigger meals and have leftovers. The idea is to cook single use meals using as little water and power as possible in an emergency like when the power was out during the last winter storm.
I plan on hooking it to a power inverter that is always plugged in to the house power but able to be switched to solar panels if needed.
I have read about people in RV’s using them and want to adapt that type setup at my house.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,189 Posts
You know, I can't believe I'm admitting this but I bought an InstaPot and I have never used the thing. I'll need to change that. I'll try a recipe tomorrow night and let you know how it goes. (It's only the old man and me, also, so I'm not cooking a ton. I'm almost positive I have a recipe book for it around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and get the title for you. I remember I bought it because it was specifically recipes geared towards cooking for 2 people.

·
Super Moderator
14,663 Posts
You can make lots of things in an instant pot but what I use it for the most is hard boiled eggs and rice.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,189 Posts
You can make lots of things in an instant pot but what I use it for the most is hard boiled eggs and rice.
Srsly?!?!? I need to boil a bunch of eggs to pickle ... I never even thought of doing that! Thanks for the tip!!

·
ICBM Warrior
536 Posts
Don't know if you knew this, but you can bake bread in a crockpot.

SHTF bread...made from prep materials...whodathunkit? 😁

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,767 Posts
Another Instant Pot fan here. I use my six-quart pot for a multitude of things, including prepping food storage items and for everyday cooking.

It is perfect for cooking beans! Twice a week, I cook a pot of beans and use half the beans for supper. I freeze or dehydrate the rest of the beans, depending on whether the dehydrator is in use at the time or not. Dehydrated beans are the perfect storage item because it takes up little space, it is lightweight, reconstitutes easily, and provides a complete protein profile if consumed on the same day as a whole grain (does not have to be at the same meal).

I am about to delve into using my Instant Pot to make yogurt, buttermilk, and cheese. After making them the conventional way for so long, I am looking forward to seeing what this contraption can do for my dairy game. For those who are new at this aspect of using an Instant Pot, I highly recommend the book Instant Pot Cheese by Claudia Lucero. It is specially written for the six and eight-quart pots. I love this book because of the extremely well-illustrated photos and drawings that take the guesswork out of the whole process. It is almost like the author is right there with me, step by step.

Some of what I learned so far:

To make cheese with your six or eight quart Instant Pot, you will need to have the pot insert that is made for the 3 quart Instant Pot, which is darned handy for other kinds of "pot in pot" (double boiler) cooking. For $20, the extra insert seems to be a worthy multi-use investment.

I already have a lot of different cheesemaking equipment, but if you don't, you will also need at the very minimum: "butter muslin" or fine cheesecloth (not the stuff you find in the paint department), and a thermometer that measures 0 to 220*F, in increments of 1 to 2 degrees, no larger. Temperatures that jump ahead 5 to 10 degrees can make the difference between great cheese and crappy cheese. Eventually, with experience over time, you will learn to get the "feel" for the right temperature, much as our grannies did. The book says to "avoid infrared thermometers because the foam confuses them."

For actual cheesemaking, the rest of the other basic cheesemaking necessities are probably already in your kitchen or are easy to get locally. If you want melty cheese, such as Mozzarella, etc. you will need to also buy rennet (not the Junket brand!). Cheese salt is mighty nice to have because it is 100% pure, with no additives and is in small light flakes rather than granulated like table salt. This makes for even flavoring. Regular salt doesn't mix well.

You will likely fall in love with this pure flaked salt, not only for cheesemaking but also for seasoning foods at the table or in the kitchen. I love the Diamond Crystal kosher brand; it is good quality and cheap, too.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I love my Instant Pots! I have both the 6 qt & 8 qt. I now use one or the other just about daily.

When I first bought my 6 qt I was into intimidated by it until I found pressureluckcooking.com

This guy does very detailed, step by step instructions. So far every recipe I've tried is fantastic. He has two Instant Pot cookbooks on Amazon and a great YouTube channel. I highly recommend giving him a look see.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,767 Posts
I love my Instant Pots! I have both the 6 qt & 8 qt. I now use one or the other just about daily.

When I first bought my 6 qt I was into intimidated by it until I found pressureluckcooking.com

This guy does very detailed, step by step instructions. So far every recipe I've tried is fantastic. He has two Instant Pot cookbooks on Amazon and a great YouTube channel. I highly recommend giving him a look see.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Be still, my heart! I found THIS in your link.

I know it is not the classic shaved gyros meat, but the final treatment in the oven with brushed-on flavor glaze just might make me think I died and went to... Greece! I can hardly wait to try this recipe (and so many more).

Thanks for this post, beachgrit.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Be still, my heart! I found THIS in your link.

I know it is not the classic shaved gyros meat, but the final treatment in the oven with brushed-on flavor glaze just might make me think I died and went to... Greece! I can hardly wait to try this recipe (and so many more).

Thanks for this post, beachgrit.
So glad you found that! Hope it's delish!

I had never attempted a brisket before until I found his recipe. It is a little different from any I've ever had, but sooo good!

I've been following Jeffery since he started. I feel like a proud Momma with his success.

One thing that I LOVE about the IP is being able to start with frozen meat. It does add a little to the front time as it takes a little longer to come to pressure, but having the ability to put in frozen chicken, beef or pork and walking away while it does its thing is WONDERFUL.

The IP is the ONLY way I cook rice now. We are frequent rice eaters.
2 Cups Basmati (I don't bother rinsing, but if you do rinse, reduce water to 1 1/2 Cups)
2 Cups water
Salt
1 pat of butter
High pressure 3 minutes
Natural release 10 mins
Then quick release.
Fluff with a fork.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,950 Posts
Black Beans
Add Beans to any level below max prepared
Add water about 1.5 inches above beans
Pressure cook for at least 27 minutes
Turn off and let it sit for 30 mins
Done
Beans are tricky in my experience
Easy to under-cook and over-cook
Takes some adjustments to get it to your desired texture

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
5,227 Posts
As a fan of pressure cookers - the dumb kind - I recognize the benefits of thermostatically controlled cooking in one pot.
Size matters - though you can put in LESS in a bigger pot, you cannot put MORE in a small pot.
Furthermore, the huge amount of accessories available only fit in the 6 and 8 qt models. (I have an 8 qt Presto St.St. cooker that is just right for Instant Pot accessories - my 6 qt has a weird metal tab that blocks accessories.).
EGGS: there is a double decker egg rack that holds 18 eggs - perfect for those dozen + half batches. Will not fit in smaller I.P. pots. Plus you can use the rack to make one pot potato salad. Eggs in the lower rack, and diced potatoes in a steamer tray on the upper rack. Quick chill and toss in your favorite salad additions.
CHICKEN QUARTERS : Ten pound bags fit nicely in my two pressure cookers (6 & 8 qt). I reserve the stock and chill, so it's easy to remove the fat (schmaltz) for later use. The fat free stock is later reduced and concentrated (yum). The meat is deboned and the skin collected separately. I make more stock with the bones. The skins I cook in a microwave until golden and crunchy - chicken rinds (delicacy). The deboned chicken is the foundation of any number of chicken dishes, or chopped into chicken salad. And if I have too much leftovers, I divide into portions and freeze. Ditto, for the chicken stock (I have a neat "whiskey glass ice cube form" that makes 3.5 oz cubes).

Wally Martski has a deal on this model:
The price is right ($59 marked down from $99). (same model is $75 on Amazon) (96% positive user rating)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/6-Quart-...e-Maker-Cake-Maker-Sterilizer-Black/562129090

(* this model also explicitly supports sous vide, which saves you $90-$150 in buying a separate unit)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Cant believe no one mentioned dry beans.

2 cups of dry beans, 3 cups of water, flavor with whatever, 30 mins cooking, done. Let natural pressure release.

My favorite is large limas with ham chunks and 3 chicken bullion Cubs.

·
Premium Member
4,950 Posts
Cant believe no one mentioned dry beans.

2 cups of dry beans, 3 cups of water, flavor with whatever, 30 mins cooking, done. Let natural pressure release.

My favorite is large limas with ham chunks and 3 chicken bullion Cubs.
I did in post #15
Two doors north of your post
The Instant Pot "Recipe Book" that came with my IP rightly advises that there is no set cooking time for beans
Having cooked many pots of beans, the manufacturer is right, it is not formulaic, and cooking times are guide-lines only wnen it comes to beans

·
Super Moderator
14,663 Posts
Another thing they are good for, which I just did last night, is mashed potatoes.

Cube up the potatoes and put in the instant pot. Fill it with water so it just covers the potatoes. Set cook time for 8 to 10 minutes. Once the timer goes off immediately release the steam. Then mash and season how you like.

·
SBs Resident Non Prepper
7,578 Posts
Another thing they are good for, which I just did last night, is mashed potatoes.

Cube up the potatoes and put in the instant pot. Fill it with water so it just covers the water. Set cook time for 8 to 10 minutes. Once the timer goes off immediately release the steam. Then mash and season how you like.
I will try that tonight. Sounds good

1 - 20 of 31 Posts