Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I usually like to buy it in the # 10 cans and not from the store...but I have a lot of left over buckets, mylar bags and oxygen absorbers..so I was wondering if I can go to Sams and just buy a bunch of boxes and bucket it up and it still have a long shelf life..or is it only going to be about 6 months?? Milk is one of the items that I still need to stock up on since I have little mouths to feed,I know you guys know alot about this stuff..so thanks in advance..

Mohh

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Non fat or low fat milk powder keeps the longest, as it is the fats in milk that go rancid.
Having said that, a couple of months ago, I opened a large can of powdered milk that was purchased nearly 10 years ago. It was export quality and it tasted fine.
When I was a kid in the bush, we used to keep vanilla assence handy to mix in with the rancid powdered milk, helped somewhat.
I now keep it frozen to preserve the longer shelf life.
Exposure to high ambient air temps, moisture levels, sun light will shorten the shelf life.
Tinned powdered milk with the foil seal is far more robust than the bagged type.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. It would be so much cheaper to buy at the store. I have a bunch of 1 gal mylar bags and oxy sorbers. I was thinking of buying new, empty paint cans and putting store bought powdered mild in them in the mylar. What do you think?

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I would continue to buy the #10 cans if you can afford them, the nitrogen purged type being the best.
As for buckets don't use non food grade buckets.
I am not sure if the benzine and other chemicals in the release agents used in the buckets manufacturing process will corrode the mylar bags at all.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Non fat or low fat milk powder keeps the longest, as it is the fats in milk that go rancid.
Having said that, a couple of months ago, I opened a large can of powdered milk that was purchased nearly 10 years ago. It was export quality and it tasted fine.
When I was a kid in the bush, we used to keep vanilla assence handy to mix in with the rancid powdered milk, helped somewhat.
I now keep it frozen to preserve the longer shelf life.
Exposure to high ambient air temps, moisture levels, sun light will shorten the shelf life.
Tinned powdered milk with the foil seal is far more robust than the bagged type.
I always add vanilla flavoring to powdered milk to make it more palatible. Another flavor enhancer is Kalhua :D: . Almost all powdered milk in the US is nonfat as it's easiest to process and dry. Also almost without exception (again here state side) you will find it sold in cardboard in retail outlets. It's the same milk as you find in the other packaging except that those set up for longterm storage are nitrogen filled to displace oxygen. I believe that if you use oxygen absorbers you will have to go a bit overboard in the quantity or use them in addition to vaccume sealing if not both techniques.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I always add vanilla flavoring to powdered milk to make it more palatible. Another flavor enhancer is Kalhua :D: .
And you can make Kalhua with all your stored staples/supplies (water, sugar, instant coffee and vanilla...oops...and only if you have 100+proof of cheap vodka or golden grain on hand...viola'...you've got Kahlua). I quit drinking 10 yrs ago but that was one of my faves. I had to put a "virgin" bottle in the fridge because my teen daughter and her friends would get into it. They thought they were gettin' the good stuff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for buckets don't use non food grade buckets.
I am not sure if the benzine and other chemicals in the release agents used in the buckets manufacturing process will corrode the mylar bags at all.
I agree, all of my buckets are food grade. Some I've even bought the gamma lids for, but those can get expensive quick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts