Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
My hot cereal is a mixture of instant grits (Albers Quick Grits), cream of rice and Farina (Maypo or Malt-o-Meal). I put it in a bowl, nuke it in the microwave, stir in cinnamon, butter and agave nectar (better than honey). Then I stir in some granola (preferably with dried fruit) and let it cool a little. Hmmmm good.

The mixture gives me corn, rice, wheat, maybe some nuts (from the granola), oats, fruit, butter and calcium/fat from the milk. I have each of these in my LTS food containers.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Okay Im accepting bets. How long will it be before someone asks what a grit is? HaHa. No seriously, I have right many stored. I do so as I would most anything else. I place several of the packs of quick grits, emptied, into a maylar.

For the instant, they are also emptied into maylars and stored the same way with O2. I place the packs out of 2 boxes into a smaller maylar so I don't open more than I need at a time.

·
Servo quod Servo
379 Posts
I love grits, I add 1 or 2 sunny side eggs, butter and pepper.....

I have bagged grits in the basement that I used for re-enactments. They did just fine for a few years in a plastic bag with a twister. I used to camp out once a month or so, so I bought them in bulk. I never had a problem storing them, and I never once thought about using them as preps, so I imagine they would do really well if they were stored properly.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
a bit off topic but grits nonetheless. I've taken instant on backpacking trips many times.
I prefer quick-cooking though. in cool weather butter will last in an aluminum tin or some such. so will the zip-paks of pre-cooked and crumbled bacon. I stir in the bacon when cooking the grits - quite tasty. or just add a dollop of butter when done. cheese goes good too. dryed eggs cooked up makes a satisfying breakfast with this dish.
when with a scout troop I cooked a 2qt pot of grits and added the whole packet of bacon - 2.8oz and about 1/4 tsp black pepper. they gobbled it up. 'america's choice' brand. the other asst scoutmaster cooked the eggs and fry bread. I had the easy part since it was my idea.

·
DamnifIknow
282 Posts
To avoid sucking the grits up into my vacum sealer motor I place them into a zip-lock bag and leave about an inch unsealed. Then place this bag into a vacum bag to be vacum packed. They seal up tight and your motor will thank you!

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Grits have been a major stable for me for 30 years. I used to get the bacon flavored ones in individual packages, but can't find them any more. Only the plain ones or butter flavor.

So I just buy the bacon pieces sold as salad toppings for my grits and scrambled eggs. Can get plenty of taste without the hassle of cooking them and I control how much I eat that way. Given the opportunity I'll eat a whole pound of bacon in a day.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Okay Im accepting bets. How long will it be before someone asks what a grit is? HaHa. No seriously, I have right many stored. I do so as I would most anything else. I place several of the packs of quick grits, emptied, into a maylar.

For the instant, they are also emptied into maylars and stored the same way with O2. I place the packs out of 2 boxes into a smaller maylar so I don't open more than I need at a time.
What's an instant grit?

·
Banned
6,236 Posts
Grits have been a major stable for me for 30 years. I used to get the bacon flavored ones in individual packages, but can't find them any more. Only the plain ones or butter flavor.

So I just buy the bacon pieces sold as salad toppings for my grits and scrambled eggs. Can get plenty of taste without the hassle of cooking them and I control how much I eat that way. Given the opportunity I'll eat a whole pound of bacon in a day.
I'm with ya on the pound of bacon a day brother..We know it's bad for us, but man ain't it good, especially with a little sugar sprinkled on it after it's cooked, I do that then break the bacon up and add some extra sharp cheddar cheese ,salt and pepper and butter and sometimes I add some white gravy mix while boiling the grits at the end to make em creamy and not stick.. They are one of the healthiest foods up until the point you start to Doctor them up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Grits are the embryo of the corn kernel.

I never cared for them as a kid but now that I know to doctor them up a little, I wont turn them down. Bacon bits and cook an egg with them and cheese and pepper and... Good stuff.

Like Ramen noodles, you can't mess them up.

·
Reality is Offensive
389 Posts
Oh sure....every Southern Man just loves grits.....wrong.

They are a wonderful food for storage however. I stumbled upon them, bought some, and then read what others had said. Then I decided I needed some more grits. Sam's sells a three bag name brand grit and I pour them into Mylar with an O2 absorber. I think a five pound bag fits a one gallon 7.0 mil bag just right. 300cc absorber.

Yes instant.......something easy to fix. I like parboiled rice as well.:rolleyes:

GRITS - a food that will make us look better than we were.:D:

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
My hot cereal is a mixture of instant grits (Albers Quick Grits), cream of rice and Farina (Maypo or Malt-o-Meal). I put it in a bowl, nuke it in the microwave, stir in cinnamon, butter and agave nectar (better than honey). Then I stir in some granola (preferably with dried fruit) and let it cool a little. Hmmmm good.

The mixture gives me corn, rice, wheat, maybe some nuts (from the granola), oats, fruit, butter and calcium/fat from the milk. I have each of these in my LTS food containers.
Discovered agave nectar last year. Now if I put ANY sweetener in my tea it's this stuff. That and a chunk of lemon.....better than booze! (almost)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts