Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my agency retired some old Crown Vics a couple years ago, they were tossing out the old long gun locks, and I talked the yard out of a couple. One is a side-by-side for an AR and a shotty. The other is a single shotgun lock.

I planned to maybe bolt the double rack securely to a wall in the house, and install the single under the back seat of my pickup with a hidden switch.

Yesterday I finally took the time to do it. I ran the wires under the interior trim, through a momentary toggle switch hidden within reach of the rifle. The shotgun lock fits my AR 'upside down,' with the lock clamped over the buffer tube. Like all locks, it can be defeated, given enough time, determination and knowledge, but this should suffice to keep the average tweaker from grabbing it while I run into Walmart.

Have to get out of the driver's seat and into the rear driver's side door to access the rifle of course, but that is what pistols are for :)

Please excuse the twigs, dust n dog hair in the carpet of my 10 yr old farm truck, and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that one of the ones that can be unlocked with a magnet?
It's an electromagnetic lock, so yes. Of course, first someone has to break into my truck, discover the rifle, and then happen to have a strong magnet with them, unlike marked police cars, which can be specifically targeted by prepared thieves.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's an electromagnetic lock, so yes. Of course, first someone has to break into my truck, discover the rifle, and then happen to have a strong magnet with them, unlike marked police cars, which can be specifically targeted by prepared thieves.

Just learned about those the other day on YouTube - I agree it's a heck of a lot better than just leaving something under the seat. At least you are protecting against the most common smash & grab attempts.

·
In Peace as in War
616 Posts
I’ve got an ‘18 Ram 3500 now but I miss my ‘12, we had a lot of good times together (to include towing my Airstream across the west). Can’t wait to tow with my ‘18 though, has 80 more ft. lbs. torque and the Aisin transmission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
According to the Lock Picking Lawyer site, the magnetics are not actually the weakest part of that lock. It is the optional key lock can be opened with a standard handcuff key, which some bad guys carry, or the simplest of lock picking tools.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
According to the Lock Picking Lawyer site, the magnetics are not actually the weakest part of that lock. It is the optional key lock can be opened with a standard handcuff key, which some bad guys carry, or the simplest of lock picking tools.
This one does not use a handcuff key, although it's just a simple padlock type tumbler lock and is most likely pretty easy to pick...just not as easy as a cuff key. Surprisingly tho, I've been doing this 10 yrs, at an average 100 arrests per year, and have yet to find a baddy carrying a handcuff key.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts