Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another post about bees disapearing/dying off made me think of something that I've noticed over the past several years .
I've noticed a huge decline in , not only bees , but all insects . In the yard or fishing on the water , I've noticed there aren't a large amount of all kinds of insects crawling or buzzing around during spring and summer like there used to be . It used to be that after driving down a highway in the summer , the windshield and grill of my truck would be plastered with hundreds of dead bugs . I'd have to scrape them off the windshield and do a lot of scrubing to get them off the windshield and grill . Now , after driving down the highway , there's only a few specks of dead bug . The only insects that there seems to be an abundance of is ticks and horseflys .
Because bugs are at the bottom of the food chain , I find this disturbing .
I was wondering if anyone else noticed the decline in the insect population or have heard anything from the scientific community on this subject .

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
and yet many others are growing in exponential numbers. Bedbugs were all but eradicated in the US back in the 50's. Over the last 10-15 years, the bedbug problem has exploded again.

·
are we there yet??
246 Posts
The fire ants eat anything to slow to get away down here. I haven't gotten a tick on me in about five years of beating around in the brush. When I was a kid my mother would make me take a bath in Pine O Pine to get them off of me.

Love bugs were mentioned and they are thick here too. I swear those things could get in a mason jar with the cap sealed tight. There are about a dozen dead in my fan assembly in the bathroom of my RV. Go figure. The top has a rubber sealing good enough to keep water out and the bottom is fine screen mesh. :confused:

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
Another post about bees disapearing/dying off made me think of something that I've noticed over the past several years .
I've noticed a huge decline in , not only bees , but all insects . In the yard or fishing on the water , I've noticed there aren't a large amount of all kinds of insects crawling or buzzing around during spring and summer like there used to be . It used to be that after driving down a highway in the summer , the windshield and grill of my truck would be plastered with hundreds of dead bugs . I'd have to scrape them off the windshield and do a lot of scrubing to get them off the windshield and grill . Now , after driving down the highway , there's only a few specks of dead bug . The only insects that there seems to be an abundance of is ticks and horseflys .
Because bugs are at the bottom of the food chain , I find this disturbing .
I was wondering if anyone else noticed the decline in the insect population or have heard anything from the scientific community on this subject .
I have a friend that has been driving a semi truck across the country for almost 30 years...In 2008 He was hired to take several truck loads of bees from california to other northern states...He found out that the constant spraying of pesticides on farms,ranches ect had caused the near extinction of bees in certain areas and polination was not occurring like in the past...

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reading these posts has confirmed some of what I have been noticing . Bugs that feed on humans/parasites like bedbugs , ticks , lovebugs etc. are increasing . While beneficial insects like bee's are disapearing .
I saw a report about bee's in China a while ago . In parts of china , bee's are extinct . The farmers need to pollinate their crops by hand .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.