Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From "the Joseph Campbell Companion" "Reflections on the Art of Living." page 168:

People know there is a way to have ...spiritual development take place, but the Church is not helping us do it because it is talking about metaphorical events as if they were historical facts. The Pope is having a hard time now because nobody believes any of it. Who believes in the Virgin Birth? The Virgin Birth is metaphorical, and so is the Ascension. Sure, I can believe in the Ascension of Jesus, but I've turned the outer space into inner space: He went into the place where heaven is: right inside. His Ascension represents the inward mythical journey. And the Virgin Birth refers to the birth of the spiritual life in the human.

Without explaining more of Campbell's views, do churches help or hinder spiritual development?

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
That would surely depend...

Without explaining more of Campbell's views, do churches help or hinder spiritual development?

on the "church'! You cannot lump them all together...that's for sure! Prophetically speaking, there is a TRUE assembly ecclesia, which means "called-out ones"...or as known these days "church", and there is an apostate one who is known as a "whore" and "mother OF harlots". (other "churches" she has spawned, or others that still carry many of "her" doctrines).

One is truth based, the other is babylonian based. It is no wonder so many are displeased at the thought of "Christianity" when no distinction is made one from the other.

I would not allow myself to be put in a pre-conceived, doctrinally blinded denominational box.

A "church" that is in tune with truth and is moving with the Spirit is certainly a Spiritual plus! No doubt about it.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Where two or three are gathered together in Christ's name there He is in their midst. The Holy Spirit found in the midst of a true church can't help but help us spiritually.

John 16:13, "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come."

Reactions: temu and texjen

·
Registered
228 Posts
From "the Joseph Campbell Companion" "Reflections on the Art of Living." page 168:

People know there is a way to have ...spiritual development take place, but the Church is not helping us do it because it is talking about metaphorical events as if they were historical facts. The Pope is having a hard time now because nobody believes any of it. Who believes in the Virgin Birth? The Virgin Birth is metaphorical, and so is the Ascension. Sure, I can believe in the Ascension of Jesus, but I've turned the outer space into inner space: He went into the place where heaven is: right inside. His Ascension represents the inward mythical journey. And the Virgin Birth refers to the birth of the spiritual life in the human.

The man wrote books on MYTHOLOGY! You can't take anything this
guy wrote seriously. "Follow your bliss." Sounds drug induced.:rofl:

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
Who believes in the Virgin Birth?
I believe that Jesus Christ is God's son born to Joseph and Mary, before Joseph "knew" Mary
in the biblical sense

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Who believes in the Virgin Birth?
The virgin birth is one of the foundations of Christianity. Christ was born of the virgin Mary. She was supernatrually impregnated by the Holy Spirit without any physical contact.

Sure, I can believe in the Ascension of Jesus, but I've turned the outer space into inner space:
Jesus Christ ascended into Heaven and will return in like manner. The return of Jesus Christ, or the second coming of Christ is foundational to Christianity.

He went into the place where heaven is: right inside. His Ascension represents the inward mythical journey.

2 Corinthians 4:16, "For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day."

Through Jesus Christ, our inward man does take a sort of journey. He leaves the broad path and finds his way to the narrow way.

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
If you are serious...

What the he!! is "spiritual development" supposed to mean?
at least you are asking the right question to begin your journey!

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The man wrote books on MYTHOLOGY! You can't take anything this
guy wrote seriously. "Follow your bliss." Sounds drug induced.:rofl:
Religion is mythology, thus he is eminently qualified. Or have you forgotten the definition of religion? It's the other guy's religion.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

The virgin birth is one of the foundations of Christianity. Christ was born of the virgin Mary. She was supernatrually impregnated by the Holy Spirit without any physical contact.

Jesus Christ ascended into Heaven and will return in like manner. The return of Jesus Christ, or the second coming of Christ is foundational to Christianity.

2 Corinthians 4:16, "For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day."

Through Jesus Christ, our inward man does take a sort of journey. He leaves the broad path and finds his way to the narrow way.
That is not answering the question.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
That is not answering the question.
The answer is that it depends on the "church." You probably wouldn't develope spiritually if Jim Jones was your pastor. On the other hand, churches that elevate Jesus Christ as our Savior and use the Word of God, the Holy Bible, as their guide can't help but to guide its members into greater spiritual development. In my opinion, too many churches have adopted a sort of corporate attitude. They're more interested in the financial success of the church than they are the spiritual success of their members. Who's gonna get the widest viewing? Who's gonna get the biggest building or the most plush pews? Personally, I'm far more interested in quality over quantity.

1 Peter 2:2, "As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word,
that ye may grow thereby:"

·
Registered
688 Posts
Few people don't need some form of guidance, but few people (in the west) actually get it.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts