Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK- we've got an inground pool that hasn't been opened in -years-. So yes- it's like a pond back there. (We bought the house with the thing and never got around to using it and haven't filled it in because it's -expensive-) SO- my question is- is there a way to make this a functional potable water reservoir- even if it requires boiling before consuming? I'm thinking there has to be a good way to make this a functional resource but I'm thinking that just leaving it sitting there with a cover isn't the best option for that ;) ) Suggestions? Either for that or a real cheap way to fill it in safely? I'm wanting to turn the entire yard- front and back- into a mini farm- but that pool takes up ALOT of room. But as a water fixture- it'd be worth keeping it... Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have ypou considered raising fish or shrimp in it?
The thought had crossed my mind- but how would I get it to the point of being able to do that and what maintenance would it require? I'm sure there is chemical residue in there- the liner is intact, but after years of chemical laden water sitting in it.... not sure what it'd need to keep fish alive in there...

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im with Chris, what kind of liner? Since we can't see the pool you may want to have a pool service guy take alook at it. I am sure it will be a small fortune to bring it back but you never can tell. It is better to know than to speculate.
Well- I don't want to bring it back- I want to either make some practical survivalist use out of it (water source, fish farm, etc.) or fill it in and plant gardens overtop of it. It takes up way too much yard to just be sitting there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If the pool is now sitting empty it will no longer hold water. Unfortunately, inground liner pools shrink if they are emptied and are not immediately filled back up. The vinyl loses it elasticity and will shrink and tear into huge holes as you try to fill it. I had to buy a new vinyl liner for the same reason for my inground pool. SO you can either buy a new liner and have it installed (small fortune) or fill in your pool with dirt and have a garden with a very nice deck around it. :D:

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the pool is now sitting empty it will no longer hold water. Unfortunately, inground liner pools shrink if they are emptied and are not immediately filled back up. The vinyl loses it elasticity and will shrink and tear into huge holes as you try to fill it. I had to buy a new vinyl liner for the same reason for my inground pool. SO you can either buy a new liner and have it installed (small fortune) or fill in your pool with dirt and have a garden with a very nice deck around it. :D:
No- it's full now... It has a cover on it and a pond of sludge underneath, but it's full... That's why I'm wondering- fill it or make some use out of it... But I dunno how I'd go about doing anything with it to take it from pond sludge to functional water feature....

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Other uses for the hole in the ground.

Like BroBuck said.. a shelter, if you are so inclined.

Root cellar.

Cool storage for LTS foods.

One HUGE cache. Rent space to prepper buddies. :)

A big compost pit? Just kidding.

With sprayable concrete, you could line the hole with a solid waterproof material, and make use of it as a cistern. Set the upper edge of the hole below grade, and explain that it will be a lowered pool. This will allow a roof to be placed over it. Anyone asks, you filled it in....

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
I was going to suggest fill in and garden. Then I thought if you put catfish and alge eaters you wont need the electricity. You would however need to put a GOOD qulity plant life to oxegenate the water. The cats will clean the bottom and lower sides. The alge eaters like Plackos,loches ect. will keep the sides clean. If im not mistacken there is a filter feeder fish (DONT ASK ME THE NAME) that will filter the water for food.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
I don't know whether you are on mains water, but if you are planning to grow your own veges or small crops, it would be a good water storage facility.
It could be topped up with rain water from your roof.
Just an idea if the mains water fails or severe water restrictions are in place.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
24,474 Posts
Fish and aquatic plants, wish I had a pool to do it too.
Checkout this website, it looks like it has a lot of info on pond fish and plants.
http://srac.tamu.edu/fulllist.cfm

And here's a couple of the pdf's avalible at the site above...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.