Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Always Preparing
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... the recent development off the coast of California has been terribly reassuring. For the sake of argument, let's just say it was an ICBM (Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile) or a SLBM (Sea Launch Ballistic Missile). The only evidence of this device being launched was a new camera at the right place at the right time and a few thousand first hand witnesses. Our government, for what ever reason (secrecy, show of force, they don't really know), aren't telling us anything. So, let's say it wasn't a no-never mind test of some sort and there was a legit ICBM launch with, of course, some sort of appropriate retaliatory response from the intended targets.

Would we, as the general and relatively unsuspecting public, ever have any change of a warning of any kind?

The flight time of and ICBM is about 30-33 minutes. A retaliatory strike from a well equipped enemy could be expected around half way through that flight, giving time for correct identification and launch sequencing. So let's say the returning little gifts of thermo-nuclear annihilation would be arriving about 45 minutes after we see something like what was witnessed off the coast of California Monday.

Do you think our government would be able to give anyone adequate warning?

Also, is there anyway a civilian could get good, up-to-date information about current disasters, immanent disasters or the current affects there of?
i.e.-a very well kept and always updating website perhaps.

Anyway, please feel free to answer above questions and post anything that might help. I love information and the more I get the better!

·
SURVIVALISM IS A IFESTYLE
Better than Most but Not the Best
254 Posts
I have heard that the time it takes for an ICBM to hit a target on the other side of the world is 15 minutes. If true, that means there is less than 25 minutes after we launch before retailiation reigns down on us. I don't think the government would warn people until they were all in bunkers and 25 -45 minutes isn't long enough to warn everyone.
I think that the best resource for early warning is keeping an eye on everyday things and watching/listening to several different news outlets. I like to watch several different news networks and I read the papers, listen to talk radio, and I use the internet. I think diversity is important in keeping a handle on world disaster events.

·
Always Preparing
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...I thought it would be quick. That time is an average, but I think it was including discontinued missile systems as well. I figure that the first warning may be missile contrails heading away from us. But even without that, the real undeniable warnings will be the bright flashes followed by cities disappearing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We fill that is was China giving the US a warning. They are already not happy with us for the massive debt and the fact that we won't be able to pay it back, but also the move the fed just did to monetize our debt. Makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
We fill that is was China giving the US a warning. They are already not happy with us for the massive debt and the fact that we won't be able to pay it back, but also the move the fed just did to monetize our debt. Makes sense.
China does not have to launch a missile to scare us, all they have to do is threaten to have a US TBill sale, if they dumped the $2.4 trillion in debt we owe them on the open market, we would have an economic collapse in hours....

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
China does not have to launch a missile to scare us, all they have to do is threaten to have a US TBill sale, if they dumped the $2.4 trillion in debt we owe them on the open market, we would have an economic collapse in hours....

I think China can flex its muscle now without firing anything....

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Twitter is a good source of (unverified) up to the minute information.
If you follow the right people/organizations you could get a few extra minutes.

I know I read things on Twitter 10-15 minutes before it is "breaking news" on TV.

Other than that, I rely on first hand reports from fellow ham radio operators.

Of course, in an EMP scenario - all bets are off.

·
Always Preparing
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's some dirty pool! That's up there with using an HEMP. It would be pretty easy, highly affective and with a minimum of effort and their lives on the line they could impact/kill off a staggering amount of people.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
Even in the 30-45 minutes of notice they would have, consider how long it would take to get the information out. Unless you were currently tuned in to some source of info, you probably wouldn't even know it until someone else told you. Back in the cold war days, that was just enough warning to get your family to the bomb shelter in your yard. Assuming you were all home at the time.

It gets scary when you think about the what ifs. Such as what if the warning comes while you're at work and the kids are in school? Even if you're all at home, do you have a bomb shelter? Most of us no longer have them.

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=171727
Not Good: Rogue Missile Launch?

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=171703
China Downgrades United States Credit

Folks, it on like donkey kong. China just sent a powerful message.

Jet plane contrail my ass.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Not a bad idea. Any suggestions on who to follow on twitter?

Also, EMP is easily verified. If your power goes out, your personal electronics stop working and all the cars stop running all at the same time, you've just been hit by an EMP.
On Twitter just search out the local news, Office of Emergency Management, weather spotters, Red Cross and survivalist & preparedness sights in your area. You'll be surprised to learn how many people in your area use it.

·
254 Posts
Since EMP will likely precede a Nuke Attack, It seems prudent to get to cover when the power goes out. I was in the mall when the power went out and I thought,"oh sh*t, emp!" A little paranoid but we are all survivalists here so paranoia is a common occurance on this website.

·
Always Preparing
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since EMP will likely precede a Nuke Attack, It seems prudent to get to cover when the power goes out. I was in the mall when the power went out and I thought,"oh sh*t, emp!" A little paranoid but we are all survivalists here so paranoia is a common occurance on this website.
I don't know why, but I never thought of the use of an nuke in conjunction with and EMP. Makes sense though. I was at home when the power went out and I thought the same thing. "Crap! Did we just get hit by an EMP?!?!"

·
254 Posts
I don't know why, but I never thought of the use of an nuke in conjunction with and EMP. Makes sense though. I was at home when the power went out and I thought the same thing. "Crap! Did we just get hit by an EMP?!?!"
An EMP could potentially slow down a military responce. At least thats what the government expected from the soviets.

·
Always Preparing
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An EMP could potentially slow down a military responce. At least thats what the government expected from the soviets.
I could see that. From the few released government reports on EMP attacks, our only major response would be mainly hardened nuclear complexes, our underwater nuclear deterrents and our forces stationed over seas. It would pretty effectively neutralize anyone and anything within the continental United States. That would be a very effective way of leveling the playing field for WWIII!

·
254 Posts
I could see that. From the few released government reports on EMP attacks, our only major response would be mainly hardened nuclear complexes, our underwater nuclear deterrents and our forces stationed over seas. It would pretty effectively neutralize anyone and anything within the continental United States. That would be a very effective way of leveling the playing field for WWIII!
Even worse, we would lose SurvivalBoards after an EMP attack.

I think we need a Survivalist Board emergency frequency that we all can agree on for the amateur bands to use in the event of an emergency. Keep a ham radio in a faraday cage and use it after an emp. "Survivalist Boards" followed by our login name could identify us. I pretty much remember the usernames of all regular posters here so I think thats a good option. I think I will start a thread about that idea.

·
The end is,,,,,
10,013 Posts
Even worse, we would lose SurvivalBoards after an EMP attack.

I think we need a Survivalist Board emergency frequency that we all can agree on for the amateur bands to use in the event of an emergency. Keep a ham radio in a faraday cage and use it after an emp. "Survivalist Boards" followed by our login name could identify us. I pretty much remember the usernames of all regular posters here so I think thats a good option. I think I will start a thread about that idea.
did you start one? that is a GREAT idea. I got the bootheel covered.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I read a statistic that said that the American people are the fourth largest army (armed force) in the world, due to gun ownership (sales).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.