Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About 10 months ago we had a member that threatened to report me to certain legal authorities if I did not remove a post. There was nothing illegal in the thread, so I was wondering what the guys problem was. To keep him under a close eye, he was made a staff member. This way he could post stuff in the staff section without other members seeing it.

Over the following months, he created several accounts and was posting threads and post under each account - even replying to he other post. To make matters worse, we had the reputation system turned on. He would give 3 - 4 members negative rep points, then give his so called buddies + rep points. Looking through the reputation system logs, it looked like he would start doing this when he got home from work - because it was happening at the same time everyday. Well, mostly around midnight - 2am.

The final straw (or straws) was when he started posting stuff like "I am a staff member and what I say goes" - to other members. He also threatened me several more times to report this site to the FBI and BATF if certain firearms post were not removed. There was nothing illegal posted, and I did not understand what his problem was.

His staff position was revoked. After that, things really went downhill. He became hostile towards other members, and not only him, but his other alter egos.

In the end, that member, also known as varmintstalkers was banned - as were his 2 other accounts. This was in April of 2008.

About two months later, he creates another 2 accounts and post trolling threads. Both were banned.

This week another 2 accounts were created, and both were banned.

Things that all of these users had in common make me think they are all the same person.

Part of a post from yesterday:

Hey guys & gals!

Wanted to re-introduce myself. You may remember me by such names as...

guns-n-jesus
Queer_Survivalist
SebJohnson
Dwind
HippieSurvivalist

The problem is, I know Dwind - he has been to my house, he has eaten at my table, shared food with my family and I consider him a friend.

All of these accounts:
guns-n-jesus
Queer_Survivalist
varmintstalkers
Sweet Survival
survivalguru4u

are related to one person - varmintstalkers

guns-n-jesus and Queer_Survivalist both used a proxy server to access the site. Proxy servers mask users real IP address.

Without explaining the security of this website - I know for a fact that varmint started using a proxy server to access this site, that was after his real IP address was banned. So he has resorted to proxies.

What we are dealing with is someone with multiple personalities. That is the only thing I know to call it. What do you say about someone that post questions, then logs in with another account, post a reply to his question - and does this for a month?

I just want to assure this community I am doing everything I can do keep the trolls out. Sometimes this means banning without a warning. If a new member comes in a post a trolling thread, then they have to go - right then.

Some of the members here have considered this harsh - to ban a member without a warning. But if anyone else has a solution on how to deal with trolls, let me know. I am currently looking for a way to ban proxy servers, to where they can not access this site at all. But so far I have not found a solution.

·
Looking upward
211 Posts
How many people use proxy servers? Would it help by having a rule that you can NOT post by using a proxy server? They can still read the posts like any visitor, but just not POST. I, as a member, have no problem with this. I use a proxy server at work because I have to, but I can wait til I get home to post.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good idea...and then also to require new users to have a static IP

I work professionally as a Web Developer/Programmer and have lots
of experience customizing VBulletin forums...

I'd be glad to help with any custom mods to the registration and post templates.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
how do I know if I'm using a proxy server......

I have internet comming into my home and use a hotmail account, am i safe...

sorry to sound stupid but I am pretty computer illiterate lol when it comes to these terms (proxy server) and such

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Just want to be clear...this user claimed that he was using several different names, some of which belong to valid, legitimate members?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just want to be clear...this user claimed that he was using several different names, some of which belong to valid, legitimate members?
Yep, and I'am on Yahoo messenger chat with Dwind right now. This is some funny stuff.

====================================

I found a security update that should block proxies. Sorry people but it has to be done.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
over at SD net they dont allow accounts to be made based on hotmail or any other free use email accounts, you have to use the account you get with your ISP or something like that.

btw- Thanks Kev, I consider you a friend too

Reactions: ~kevswife~

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
yup i like Tachikoma "dwind" aswell. plural of Tachikoma? thamks kev again for all your work with the goings on of this site and the staff you have as well

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
i have no problem with it i just ignore people who try to start problems why get mad about something on the computer

i want to thank you for your eforts on trying to control this problem but no matter what happens i will still post here and respond to others

we can all do are part and just ignore ignorence want to thank you and your family
for the site and if you need any help from us we all gladly will do are part

·
Registered
30 Posts
how do I know if I'm using a proxy server......

I have internet comming into my home and use a hotmail account, am i safe...

sorry to sound stupid but I am pretty computer illiterate lol when it comes to these terms (proxy server) and such

Short answer:
I don't think you have anything to worry about Tugger. In a nut shell... If you don't know if you are using a proxy server you most likely are not.

Long answer:
A proxy server --more specifically in this case an anonymizing proxy server is a tool that attempts to make activity on the Internet untraceable. It accesses the Internet on the user's behalf, protecting personal information by hiding the source computer's identifying information.

So basically you would go to proxyserver.com from your computer and from that website you access whatever website you want to surf. (like this one) Now all your activity on this site looks like it was coming from the proxy servers IP address. And all your ISP sees is that you went to proxyserver.com not survivalistboards.com. The theory being now there is no record of the real websites you visit. Great for your privacy. But tough for sites like this one to keep the troll volume to a low roar.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Thanks for all your hard work. Banning trolls after one stupid post makes perfect sense. Who, besides a troll, would join a board then start immediately with stupidness? Good job, and look forward to sharing more GOOD information with this group.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Can you not turn this guy in the law enforcement?

Maybe he just skirted the law and didn't break anything?

Personally I dont think he would have much to stand on if you just stated his real name and address...lol. If he lived near me I would love to go talk to him.

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
THANKS Kev! 99.9% of us here are thankful for this site and apreciate the knowledge and sharing of knowledge this site allows us. Do what ever you deem nessicary to keep the trolls out. I for one have no need of a proxy server. It would seem the only reason to use one is your hiding something, and that in itself would cause me pause.

Again ... Thanks for all your hard work and effort to keep this site what it was intended to be. Truely a life saver for many :thumb:

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I remember reading guns-and-Jesus posts. They did not have a coherent thought, to me. If you read something strange it may be best to ignore it. Agitators are are aggravating. I never agitated anybody. Haha. Well maybe just not enough to get in trouble.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You are right, varmin does have a habit of making girls accounts. i think you are right in saying dwind has nothing to do with that b/s either.

I thought hippiesurvivalist was legitimate too but now I got to go back and read all the threads we have argued in.

I do think it is harsh to ban people with out warning, but varmint has had plenty of warnings.

About the proxy server, I was thinking you could use them go around a site blocker from a work computer if you have a job that doesn't allow you to visit this page so if it is I wouldn't want you to ban them. Could some one explain to me how that works?

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Wondered what the hell was going on.
The real behind the scenes crap from AJ which we were informed about when he left the forum and then Kev's first post on this thread.
Glad the matter was cleared up with Dwind, I found that out of place and most confusing.
Anyway, long story short.
This is the best forum I have been on thanks to Kev, staff, moderators and members.
In fact this is the only forum I am on for that reason.
To keep the integrity of this forum and indeed the survival community, you gotta do what needs to be done kev or this forum will be like all of the substandard ones I have seen.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Your Doing a great job Kev.

Have you ever considered a trolling fine? Keep the forum free and have everyone agree to the fee for trolling and at sign up. You can request credit card info to be kept on file but not billed and still be able to warn someone before a fine is assessed. It only has to be like five or ten bucks. That is an expensive for a dumb question. You could even escalate the fine for more infractions. If the card does not bill, then ban them.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts