Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as many of you know, i have been debating which to get the ak-47 or a ar15. well my intentions and shifted more towards the AK. with a ar soon to come. my question is, could you give me some personal experences with diffrent ak manufactures, i am pretty sure when i get the ar i will go with bushmaster, but not sure about the ak, i am doing some studying but would apreciate some opinion, and personal experence from you fine folks... thanks

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I own and have owned Norinco, Polytechs, Romanian both, Egyptian Mahdi, Polish, Yugo, and some of the ones now made in USA. What we see now are models based on kits. Century Arms, WiseLite, and other guys are taking Polish, romanian, Yugo and other kits and putting american made receivers on them.

Big thing with any Ak is to look at the front sight of the gun. The post should be set as close to center as possible. When they test fire the weapons the adjust the post in front. If a post is set way to one side avoid this one. the barrel is not right. Look for the center set post.

Look at the fit and finish of the gun. The Chinese models from Polytech were supurb. SOme of the old Egyptians were the first in country back in the early 80s. They are all great guns. I have a blast with mine. My kids all have their own now.

The Wiselite guns are pretty nice. You can get them from Military Gun Supply in Fort Worth Texas for one place. Check with Shotgun news and see how much the dealers are paying. It is best to buy from off the shelf so you can look the weapon over first.

Whatever you buy have a great time.

·
357 Mag, sex for the hand
439 Posts
Im very happy with my Lancaster AK. Fit and finish is nice, shoots nice, feels good in my hands. Bought it for $700 in June.

·
7.62x39
239 Posts
I think it was Kev that once said: The main difference between a $400 AK and an $800 is about $400.
I have a WASR-10 which is a romanian import that was originall a lo-cap setup and was dremeled out and had pieces welded in to accomodate hi-caps mags instead.
The fit and finish will not be as nice on a $400 AK versus an $800 ak, I will give it that. Otherwise, as long as you make an informed purchase - by checking the front sight and gas tube, checking for severe mag wobble, and checking general function, you can pay $400 for something that will do the same and look almost exactly the same as something you pay $800 for.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Navy SEAL teams tested all makes and chose to use Norinco Brand weapons out of all the options as the heavy barrel and heavy stamped reciever take the heat and punishing testing best. I chose Norinco myself in a MAK 90 version. Sanded mine and went dark walnut and oil though.

GunBoker should have 30-100 for sale at any time. Many in the box and new. I saw a new one slip through at 425 the other day.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
If you can find one, look at the MADDI. They are one of the few AKs that are an almost exact copy of the Russian AK47. When the MADDIs were being imported, the company that was doing the promotions said the company had bought Russian made machines, the same machinery that made the Russian AK47, also made the Egyptian MADDI.

RevPaul posted that the MADDI was being imported again, but I can not find any other information on this.

Besides the MADDI, a lot of people like the Yugoslavian AK47.

I have owned a WASR-10 and a MADDI. Neither rifle has ever jammed, misfired or anything else. I lost the MADDI years ago during a divorce, but if I ever get the chance to buy another I will. But my next purchase is probably gong to be a Yugo AK-47.

This was one of my first videos and its not very good. After this video I started discussing gun safety more.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The big question to answer is the range of the weapons. There is a big difference between the range of the 7.62x39 and the 5.56 or .223 Win.
The AR's generally shoot the 5.56 and are a rifle in most cases with and over 16 inch barrel. the AK clones are mostly carbines with a 16 inch barrel.
Ballistically the 5.56 is a flatter shooting round and has longer trajectry than the 7.62x39.
Both have the advantages of after market dress up items but that can negate the lighter AR's advantage of nearly a 30% lighter weight than the AK clones. The 5.56 round generally weights less than half that of a 7.62x39 allowing for more ammo carry. Both have milsurp 30 round magazines available at reasonable costs but the AR's are again lighter.
A basic question is the defensive range you expect ot defend from?
Longer than 150 yards and a more mobile defense the AR probably is the better option. Under 150 yards and more static the 7.62x39 with its heavier bullet is a good choice.
Personally I own a CAR-15 and SAR-1's both fit into my general plan.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
After doing some research, which included watching kevs videos I went with the Yugoslavian AK. They use thicker steel for the stamped receiver, a larger receiver block, dimples in the receiver to keep the magazine from wobbling and were offered in the M70AB2 configuration, an underfolder.

A knock on the Yugo is that they don't have chrome lined barrels, some folks prefer chrome lined barrels. I haven't had a problem with mine and find that it is pie plate accurate at two hundred yards, that is if I do my part.

I have noticed that the upper hand gaurd on the Yugo is slightly longer than other AKs, when coupled with the Yugos gas cut off lever that bridges the short distance between the gas block and upper hand gaurd it adds a bit more grip space.

I have had the issue of the bolt hanging up on the hammer with the Yugo tho never while firing. It occasinally occurs while checking the chamber.

One thing that is common to AKs is they do not lock the bolt back on the last round. Some magazine (very few) have an ear on the follower that catches the bolt, tho when the magazine is removed the bolt closes. Tapico makes a replacement magazine followers with the ear. I will get a few and test them to see how they hold up. Since I do like that feature.

Peter

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Here are the magazine followers I am looking at picking up.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/54719-36.html

I like the looks of the safety lever upgrade, It would be great for ranges that require the bolt to be held open when the range is closed for target changes. Our local range is pretty tight on safety so I carry an empty chamber flag if I'm going to be shooting the AK...so far they have been pretty good about it.

I don't count my rounds. Which means when using most AK magazines, I invariably drop the hammer on an empty chamber after the magazine runs out. The few AK magazines I do have that the bolt locks back on the magazines after the last round are nice. I am looking to upgrade all my AK magazines so they have that feature. It's that or I'll have to learn to count to 30...LOL

If you pick up an AK with canted sights and they're not overly canted sometimes an adjustable sight is just the ticket.

http://www.aa-ok.com/images/product_images/0000/3449/ak278.jpg

Peter

·
Registered
871 Posts
norinco ak's are good i had a sporterized one that i bought while the awb was in effect, it did however except hi-cap mags, wish i still had it.

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
Check the pics on my profile.
I am using a Polish Tantal, and my Buddy is using a Bulgarian AK-74.
We bet our lives on quality and function.
It is easy too say what is best, but wholy another too put that into reality.
I have own, or used more models then I can count, some are better, and others are worse.
A MADDI is quite excellent, as were my two MPI-KM East German rifles, but you will look long and hard too find one, much less, find one affordable these days.
Good luck on your choice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts