Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With all the present debates on vaccinations here, I wanted to start a topic concerning the importance of Vitamin A and D (or lack thereof) when it comes to all Infectious Disease and IMHO, our need to include it in our Preps.

In a serious SHTF or TEOTWAWKI scenario, I personally feel that vitamins like these are going to be invaluable when sanitation and hygiene are poor and infectious diseases become more rampant. Without medical care available and all vaccinations unavailable, I'm betting that infectious diseases and diseases that are not common due to the "herd effect" (sanitation, medical care, vaccinations), will rear their ugly head once more.
As always, I believe that most here agree that a healthy immune system can/will help protect against initial infection and alot of the secondary nasties, ie, pneumonia, asthma exacerbation, sepsis,...if not prevent them entirely in some cases.

Since my days in pre-med, I've used A, and D many times when sick, and I'd vouch for their effectiveness, especially when added to the more commonly known immune enhancing vitamin, C, and the mineral zinc.

Some well know facts about Vitamin A: (In the US, the NHANES II study showed 20% or more of the population was receiving less than 70% of the RDA of vitamin A.)

1. Vitamin A deficiency is one of the most profuse nutritional deficiencies worldwide. No nutritional deficiency is more consistently synergistic with infectious disease than that of vitamin A.
2. Increased infectious disease morbidity and mortality occur with vitamin A deficiency
3. Vitamin A and its active metabolite, all-trans retinoic acid (RA), regulate the antibody response
4. Vitamin A deficiency impairs innate immunity by impeding normal regeneration of mucos membranes damaged by infection, and by diminishing the function of neutrophils, macrophages, and natural killer cells.
5. Vitamin A supplementation reduces mortality and complications resulting from Measles!
6. Vitamin A also has a role as an anti-inflammatory agent.
7. Vitamin A has been found to be beneficial in a number of inflammatory conditions, including skin disorders such as acne, broncho-pulmonary disease and some forms of precancerous and cancers.
8. Vitamin A supplementation of HIV-infected infants and children is beneficial in reducing all-cause mortality and morbidity
9. Vitamin A may help heal gastric ulcers and repair the skin and mucus membranes of the digestive tract
10. Vitamin A and retinoids have been found to inhibit tumor development in some epithelial tissues.

Although it is toxic when taken in very large amounts, it is safe when taken within the RDA limits.
Infants up to 1 year old - 1,250 IU per day
Children 1 through 3 years old - 1,333 IU per day
Children 4 through 6 years old - 1,667 IU per day
Children 7 through 10 years old - 2,333 IU per day
Males 11 years and older - 3,333 IU per day
Females 11 years and older - 3,333 IU per day
Pregnant/Lactating 1st 6 months- 4,333 IU per day
Pregnant/Lactating 2nd 6 months - 4,000 IU per day

For disease,...ie, colds and flu, I increase my dosage to 10,000 IU's per day for 7 to 10 days.

Vitamin D:
1. Vitamin D has direct anti-viral effects particularly against enveloped viruses, like the common cold and flu's.
2. Vitamin D is important in defenses against respiratory tract pathogens. Studies suggest that vitamin D deficiency increases risk of respiratory infections. This increased risk may contribute to wheezing in children and adults and cause asthma exacerbations.
3. Studies suggest that vitamin D deficiency predisposes one to viral respiratory tract infections like influenza and mycobacterial infections and that vitamin D may play a role in the development and treatment of asthma.
4. Multiple sclerosis, Type I diabetes, Systemic lupus erythematosus and Rheumatoid arthritis, are associated with vitamin D deficiency.
(Both vitamins are fat soluble, and should be taken with foods that contain some fat content.)

Anyway, I wanted to at least touch on the subject and see if others here have added these 2 important Vitamins to their arsenal, and perhaps share some important info (IMO) with those just starting their preps. I would also love to hear about the others vitamins, herbs and minerals you all have added and your experiences with them.

Thanks!

**** Disclaimer; Info here is from my own personal opinion, recent medical research and experiences. If you have a medical condition, or take daily medications, please check with your Dr. on the safety of all vitamins, minerals and herbs for yourself and loved ones.

Reactions: Daisy

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I haven't thought about vitamin A. Will have to look into that one.

I have multi with iron, e, c and d.

What do you think of the b vitamins?

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
I'm currently vitamin D deficient. The RDA is 600iu/day and I'm taking one 50,000 capsule once a week for 12 weeks and then I'll be retested. This was spotted during blood tests for causes of my fatigue.

If you look into the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, you'll see that it can affect many things most don't know about such as fatigue, depression, hyperthyroidism, psoriasis, hypertension along with several others.

That being said, being in the sun with most skin exposed for about 20 minutes during mid day will deliver about 20,000 iu (varying by location and skin color, darker skin doesn't produce as much vitamin D).

Wintertime is when most have a deficiency of vitamin D intake, but it is fat soluble and stays in the body for quite a while.

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
I don't buy into the whole vitamin thing. explanation below.

They're co-enzymes and necessary for your body to function properly...
However, the body is remarkably resilient and able to do a whole lot with very little.

If you're storing food, it's probably a good idea to store vitamins as well as your nutrition in survival times probably won't be so great.

Aside from that, they don't cure or fix anything.
Not unless you're severely deficient. Then supplementation can bring you back to well being. I say "severely" because, again, your body can make up for deficiencies in a lot of ways.

I say all of this as someone who has been chronically ill for most of his adult life.
I'm actually a regular vitamin user and spend about $50 / month for supplements. I do so because with chronic illness, I simply can't afford to be functioning less than optimally.
They have NOT made me well.
They're more of an insurance policy against getting any sicker.

I've seen folks like my father-in-law chain smoke, eat wrong, never pop a vitamin in his life and have more energy than I could ever muster.
If you're working right, it takes a whole lot to derail the human body.
If you're ill, no amount of supplementation will make you well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't thought about vitamin A. Will have to look into that one.

I have multi with iron, e, c and d.

What do you think of the b vitamins?
Hi Willow..

I think their important when you need the extra boost or have been under any kind of prolonged stress and especially important if you have some of the diseases known to cause or result in deficiencies like Thyroiditis; Diabetes; Addison's; Ovarian failure; hypoparathyroidism; Graves etc..etc... My brother has Celiac Sprue, and has to take B's religiously due to the malabsorption problems it has caused. I have Type 1 Hemochromatosis and a rare genetic Renal Tubular Disease, so I also try to take extra B's during the week even though I eat alot of fruits, vege's and legumes for heart arrhythmia's.
The B's are so important in nerve functioning, brain function, red blood cell production, metabolism and energy production that I don't think there is any harm in taking at least the RDA daily, and extra B9 (Folic Acid) when pregnant.

Reactions: willow

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm currently vitamin D deficient. The RDA is 600iu/day and I'm taking one 50,000 capsule once a week for 12 weeks and then I'll be retested. This was spotted during blood tests for causes of my fatigue.

If you look into the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, you'll see that it can affect many things most don't know about such as fatigue, depression, hyperthyroidism, psoriasis, hypertension along with several others.

That being said, being in the sun with most skin exposed for about 20 minutes during mid day will deliver about 20,000 iu (varying by location and skin color, darker skin doesn't produce as much vitamin D).

Wintertime is when most have a deficiency of vitamin D intake, but it is fat soluble and stays in the body for quite a while.
I was also D deficient a few years back but mine was a direct result of my Hemochromatosis. Once I started the bloodletting and my liver iron levels started normalizing, my liver was able to assimilate (known as hydroxylation) Vitamin D again. :)

Wishing you the Best. Deficiency really takes a toll on us.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't buy into the whole vitamin thing. explanation below.

They're co-enzymes and necessary for your body to function properly...
However, the body is remarkably resilient and able to do a whole lot with very little.

If you're storing food, it's probably a good idea to store vitamins as well as your nutrition in survival times probably won't be so great.

Not unless you're severely deficient. Then supplementation can bring you back to well being. I say "severely" because, again, your body can make up for deficiencies in a lot of ways.

I say all of this as someone who has been chronically ill for most of his adult life.
I'm actually a regular vitamin user and spend about $50 / month for supplements. I do so because with chronic illness, I simply can't afford to be functioning less than optimally.
They have NOT made me well.
They're more of an insurance policy against getting any sicker.

I've seen folks like my father-in-law chain smoke, eat wrong, never pop a vitamin in his life and have more energy than I could ever muster.
If you're working right, it takes a whole lot to derail the human body.
If you're ill, no amount of supplementation will make you well.
I disagree. I wouldn't say that they are be-all cure-alls, but their far from being completely inert. Even mild deficiency's have repeatedly been shown to negatively effect the general health of people suffering from diseases like Graves all the way to children with respiratory infections.
The risk of respiratory disease and diarrhea were more closely associated with vitamin A status than with general nutritional status. These results may explain much of the excess mortality recently reported for mildly vitamin A-deficient children. http://www.ajcn.org/content/40/5/1090.short
When it comes to your father in law, I would bet my last 100.00 that its all about "well rounded" (for lack of a better word) genetics.
Genetic and Polygenic anomalies make up a huge proportion of those that have deficiencies and disease...people like you and I.
I have diseases that cause deficiencies like Vitamin D, Hypokalemia and Iron over-load and you stated that your taking vitamins "is a insurance policy against getting any sicker,".

In a serious SHTF scenario, vitamins are going to be crucial in staying healthy, especially against infectious disease and even chronic disease that have been proven to be synergistic to Vitamin deficiencies in Vitamin A, D, and C.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Thanks OP for bringing up the subject.

I'd looked into this last year and forgot about it.

The problem I ran into is that the oil capsules have limited shelf life (this was for vitamin D, I hadn't looked into vitamin A)

I saw some epensive gadget on Dr Mercola's site that provides vitamin D but I'm a simple girl, I would like to do these things as much as possible through natural living. I don't object to vitamin pills as long as I can store them without them going off.

Is there a solution to this? I do think it's important to keep yourself has healthy as possible, because when things get difficult, a small health problem can easily become your demise.

What is it, "an ounce of prevention....?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Hi Jules, I just did a search and found what I was looking for, maybe it's useful to you and others too.

I'm glad you alerted me, I will buy a small stock and then implement the info from the links.

The article gives information on ways to get the vitamin D you need, especially in winter.

http://www.naturalnews.com/024574_Vitamin_D_winter_sunscreen.html

and a link to the top 10 food sources for vitamin A

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-vitamin-A.php

I just copied them and will print for my survival notebook

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi there,

Vitamins....i reguarly visit the US and i see allot of that vitamin stuff...even vitamin water!?:confused:
Here in the Netherlands we dont have all that stuff ad to be honest, do you need it?
When you eat normaly, do your physical training and dont get locked up in an office every day but go out side....do you need all those extra's? I say no....you dont need it.
Did we need it 50 years ago? Or even longer ago? Also no...

Why do we need it now?
Because we eat all that crappy stuff?:taped:

·
Emergency Kits
60 Posts
Infectious disease is a disease caused by viral, bacteria,fungal or protozoan infection.This disease can be spread,directly or indirectly,from one person to another like AIDS,Anthrax.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Jules, I just did a search and found what I was looking for, maybe it's useful to you and others too.

I'm glad you alerted me, I will buy a small stock and then implement the info from the links.

The article gives information on ways to get the vitamin D you need, especially in winter.

http://www.naturalnews.com/024574_Vitamin_D_winter_sunscreen.html

and a link to the top 10 food sources for vitamin A

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-vitamin-A.php

I just copied them and will print for my survival notebook
Great articles Daisy! Thank you. :)

Unfortunately, as you said, one of the hardest vitamins to store is A and D..
I buy powdered vitamins like Emergen C (has everything) and it has a longer shelf life then oils of course. For both Vitamins long term, I buy chocolate Morning Moo. 25% of the RDA of A and fortified with lots of D in just one cup of liquid although it's short on the Calcium at 1/2 of that in regular powdered milk. I plan on mixing both together for all benefits and eating lots of fresh carrots and sweet potatoes out of my garden.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why do we need it now?
Because we eat all that crappy stuff?:taped:
Exactly! and just wait until we have a major SHTF event and have no medical care on top of it all. Prevention, and a top notch immune system will be even more important.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
workin on it......
1,110 Posts
I've been taking D since february. Before that when I stood up I was light headed. When I tried to walk, I staggered into doorways and such. After only 2 months on D Everything stopped. I found out from the doctor that my D was down to 14 and it should be something like 34 ( I think).
I'm VERY sun sensitive, so I live in sunscreen. I was reading up on D and found that the sunscreen blocks the body from making D. Well, I've been wearing it since 1979! geesh.

I cannot tell you how much better I feel over all since taking the D. I have more energy, the sunlight doesn't blind me as much, and like I said, I'm not light headed or staggering anymore.

I plan on keep taking D and now I may look into the A

Not to get too.....uh...crude, but has anyone heard of someone not being able to take multivitamins? When I take one I get the runs. Doesn't matter who makes them, how much they cost or where they're from or what type they are ( caps,gels,etc). I've tried for years and years to take them and it's the same thing.

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
I disagree. I wouldn't say that they are be-all cure-alls, but their far from being completely inert. Even mild deficiency's have repeatedly been shown to negatively effect the general health of people suffering from diseases like Graves all the way to children with respiratory infections.
That's my reason for taking them for "insurance" against further illness. The above mentioned should as well.
However, they will not get well via supplementation.

The risk of respiratory disease and diarrhea were more closely associated with vitamin A status than with general nutritional status. These results may explain much of the excess mortality recently reported for mildly vitamin A-deficient children. http://www.ajcn.org/content/40/5/1090.short
I just don't believe studies like this any more than the studies that showed children who sleep with a night light have eye problems.
I don't believe mild deficiencies play a major role in the health demographics of our population.
I'll give you 2 exceptions to that:
The role of folic acid during pregnancy.
Mega doses of vitamin C - Linus Pauling may have been onto something.

If you're generally healthy, you'll get little bang for your buck on vitamins.

JMHO.

·
phoenix rising
25 Posts
The human body is actually a "system of systems" connected by a myriad of positive and negative feedback loops powered by non linear behavior.There is no system that does'nt have vitamin D receptors. .It has been recassified as a hormoe.It's deficiency has been tied in with the majority of problems associated with sloth and gluttony.Equatorial sun exposure and cold water fish consumption are needed as a minimum to maintain health and promote longevity.I'm going with fish oil(capsules, canned fish) and the 50,000 unit D capsules as my add on supplements .

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,572 Posts
My problem with A and D is that fact that they're fat soluble and go rancid just like fats do. This limits their storage life. I have yet to figure a way past that even though I've tried various ways of limiting O2, light and heat.

Over the years I've heard a lot of discussion about getting adequate vitamin D from sunlight exposure. But I'm sceptical. Back in the old days, rickets (vitamin D deficiency) was a common problem. To the point that in many places the schools gave kids cod liver oil as a preventative. This was back in the time when kids were always outdoors in the sun, playing, working in the fields, doing chores, etc.

So while exposure might have provided enough D for cultures that ran around in loin clothes. It obviously didn't for those that wore clothing that kept more skin protected from sunlight. As most of us would do today.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts