Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I went swimming the other day at my friend's house, and as I was about to dive, the concrete on the sides of the pool gave me a bloody, dime-sized scrape on the top of my foot. It's been about three days, and it's red around the area, and has some drainage. In the middle, where the drainage is coming from, the skin is a pale yellowish tinge. i'm 14, so you know how moms of teenagers are. My mom would freak and rush me to the Dr. or ER. I've been cleaning it daily by applying triple antibiotic ointment to the area and putting a sterile Band-Aid on it. Any other advice? I've heard of iodized salt mixed with water in a solution makes for a good antiseptic, but I'm not sure. I want to be able to handle minor things like this on my own without my Mother freaking out. NOTE: THARE ARE NO RED STREAKS OF ANY SORT AROUND THE WOUND. Just the wound area has some redness, which is normal. :)

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Antibiotic ointment will probably be all you need.

Use the ointment at least once a day and preferably twice a day, once in the morning and when you go to bed at night.

I had a similar injury to my knee earlier this summer. It took it about a month to heal. I am diabetic and the area where the injury occurred was a low blood flow area so I figure it was to be expected.

You can also get some iodine solution from your local pharmacy. Thats a good antiseptic also and everybody should have some just in case.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Keep the wound clean, change the bandage whenever the leakage or pus or blood soaks through, always wash your hands before you change your bandage, put the used bandage, qtip, wipe etc. in a ziploc before putting in the trash.

Hydrogen Peroxide makes an excellent disinfectant.

And what countryboy said.

·
Unlocked and loaded
1,161 Posts
Keep the wound clean,

Hydrogen Peroxide makes an excellent disinfectant.

And what countryboy said.
Before you spend a lot of money on antibacterial ointments, buy a can of bag balm, its cheaper and works better and ya get a lot more for the money.This is also something to keep in your BOB, with a few feminine pads for large wounds and a little duct tape. LoL but it works well.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Before you spend a lot of money on antibacterial ointments, buy a can of bag balm, its cheaper and works better and ya get a lot more for the money.This is also something to keep in your BOB, with a few feminine pads for large wounds and a little duct tape. LoL but it works well.
Bab Balm is great stuff, been using it for over 50 years.

·
Forum Administrator
16,797 Posts
First - tell your mother or father about your injury.

After that, use bag balm, and if you do not have any bag balm, use Honey. Honey is one of the best natural antibiotics you can get.

If the redness gets bigger or if you start running a fever get medical attention asap.

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
I agree about bag balm, use it on my self and the kids for small stuff. Honey is also a great back up (from what i have read)

It can be had at any good Southern States or feed store or any place that carries minor animal vet stuff.

It is designed to be used to treat cows abrasions and such.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Don't continue to use the hydrogen peroxide. Only use this to initially clean the wound. Hydrogen peroxide also harms the good cells that are forming which is why you only need it for the initial cleaning and not as a continuous treatment.

Given the location of the wound and the fact that you are keeping this a secret form your parents I suspect that you have a shoe or sock covering it. This may explain why the wound looks the way it does. It should have time to air out (at least without a shoe and sock) with a light dressing. Direct sunlight is the least expensive remedy available. Basically all you should need is soap&water, and some time to let the wound dry out and heal.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I showed my mom, and she actually told me to just keep Neosporin and a Bandaid on it. But I think I might try honey. Will a mixture of hot water and iodized salt be helpful as an antiseptic? The yellowish color from the pus has went away, and now it's starting to heal up. :) Is Bag Balm better than Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment? If so, I'll have to pick up some. I've seen it sold cheap at my Walmart in the pet section.

Let's keep this thread going, and everyone can give some advice on treating cuts and other minor injuries. :cool:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First - tell your mother or father about your injury.

After that, use bag balm, and if you do not have any bag balm, use Honey. Honey is one of the best natural antibiotics you can get.

If the redness gets bigger or if you start running a fever get medical attention asap.
Thanks for this advice Kev! I'll have to try honey. I had no ideas of its antibiotic properties!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use bag balm on the udders of my milk goats only when needed. The stuff is so hard to get washed off of my hands. Nasty, greasy stuff if you ask me. Guess it works, because I use it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honey is not the best idea...

Honey is sterile as it occurs naturally, and bacteria cannot grow in honey, but it is because of the tonicity, once it is diluted with your wound secretions it is just basically food for bacteria to thrive off of.

stick with the tripABX ointment, and some air, let it breathe but not dry out, and you will have the best results

good luck,
kyle.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I don't mean to scare you, but, I had a nasty punture on the top of my foot once. I scrubbed it with soap, flushed it with peroxide, and covered it with triple anibiotic. In about 3 or 4 days, a third of my foot was red and swollen. I ended up in the hospital for 3 days getting I-V antibiotics. The doctor told me thar a puncture in the foot is one of the worst things because of the bacteria inherent to the foot. Since your injury was in a chlorinated invironment, the chances for a natural recovery is alot better. Keep it clean. Another aspect to consider is that my little experience cost me $2000.00 out of my pocket, even with my health insurance. If you are worried about your parents flipping out, just think what they will do if that happens. If you went in now, it may be nothing to worry about, or can be treated with oral antibiotics.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts