Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Hope everyone is well. I was originally thinking about buying a SOC 3 Day Pass or SOC Bug out Bag but I have watched some videos and done some more reading and many think that it would not be a good idea to look "Militaristic" or "Tactical". I tend to agree since I would be getting out of an urban area and moving to a very rural area. I don't want to break the bank because I still have other gear that I need and to be honest I think or economy is nearly on the breaking point now and it is only a matter of time. Anyways, that is a bit off topic, sorry. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive non-military BOB? Thanks.

·
Don't tread on me.
980 Posts
Get a backpack from a hiking/camping store. You'll look like a student, or hiker, and not a mil spec wannabe. Many of them are built well for demanding use as well.
Maxpedition is great, but they really look like operator gear.

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
Jansport or Camelbak. Comfortable, durable and a lifetime warranty for a good reason.

How many pounds are planning on hauling?

·
TEXAS!!!
7,274 Posts
Hi all. Hope everyone is well. I was originally thinking about buying a SOC 3 Day Pass or SOC Bug out Bag but I have watched some videos and done some more reading and many think that it would not be a good idea to look "Militaristic" or "Tactical". I tend to agree since I would be getting out of an urban area and moving to a very rural area. I don't want to break the bank because I still have other gear that I need and to be honest I think or economy is nearly on the breaking point now and it is only a matter of time. Anyways, that is a bit off topic, sorry. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive non-military BOB? Thanks.
No, nor will I. When it comes to a backpack, best go with quality. If a pack fails and isn't field repairable, it's useless.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Go-lite is nice, but for less than half that $ the High Sierra Col 35 would do the trick.

I'd actually suggest hitting CampMor, REI Outlet, or Craigslist and find last decades popular 35-40L hiking bag. You'll look just like someone who hurried to throw everything they could think of into that old bag I bought in college and never used ... like everyone else.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
There are so many people that carry backpacks anymore that it won't make much difference what you carry around with you. Likely if tshtf then people will be more worried about getting home themselves that they won't worry about you unless you do stand out and make a target of yourself. Anything that will hold what you need to get you where you need to go is fine. It doesn't matter what brand it it, whether it's rigid frame or not, as long as it's a comfortable fit for you and does what it's supposed to do.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
I agree wyldflwr. The pack itself isn't that big a deal. It's the whole package that will give you away. High and tight haircut, bdus tucked into shiny black boots, camo boonies hat, weapons belt, and a camo backpack are going to be obvious, even to someone not paying any attention. But if you're wearing blue gym shorts, a yellow Dave Matthews tshirt, and trainers with a camo backpack, I doubt anyone is going to pay you any more attention than they would anyone else.

Az

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have the Kelty Coyote 80. Works great, reasonably priced (I think like 150), tons of storage, and it is green so it blends with the grass.

Plus if I have to bolt I can strap the 22 to the side and keep the ar in main compartment easily.

However; before that I just had a standard Swiss Army backpack I grabbed from target and I could easily have survived days without a problem.

The other flip side of the coin is wearing what my friends call a hippy pack makes you appear to be an easier target to hit because they will assume you hug trees and have no skills/training/clueless.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Get a backpack from a hiking/camping store. You'll look like a student, or hiker, and not a mil spec wannabe. Many of them are built well for demanding use as well.
Maxpedition is great, but they really look like operator gear.
I agree with this sentiment but i would like to add call all the camping outdoor stors in your area ask when there end of the year sales are alot of times you can get a real nice pack 25-50% off when they put it on sale to make room for next years versions same with tennis shoes

i got my osprey atmos 50 for around 45-50% off wich was a good deal so id say call em get the dates ofthe sales for backpacks and then check em out then even if it means waiting a few months it can be a savings of a few hundred and get you a nicer pack than you could get if you run out to buy one now

I also recomend getting a pack cover i have a bright orange pack but a hunter green pack cover thats also waterproof so my pack still blends in in the woods

Reactions: vicdotcom

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
Covrt 18

Inexpensive is a relative term..... Give us a maximum dollar limit please?

5.11 Tactical makes a really good one the "COVRT 18" is a great pack for the streets. They make VERY solid, functional, and comfortable gear. I think the Covrt 18 was designed as an off-shoot of their RUSH-series. Anyway the MSRP is $129 but I'm sure you could find it much cheaper. (I got their $170 RUSH 72 for $119 at a gun store).

Also, I wouldn't necessarily single out someone over the looks of a tactical pack. You can disguise it a bit. Maybe put "peace sign", "eco friendly", and state park patches on it to look like a camper or such.

The reason I say this is because I had to talk a newbie out of all of his OPSEC, RECON, etc patches on his bag. That was just screaming "I have weapons and supplies in my bag".

·
Registered
639 Posts
I like my Taurus backpack. It comes with a waist strap and it's indistinguishable from other backpacks that students might carry. Through 3 years of carrying it with 40lbs of books over 2 miles a day it has some slight issues with a couple loose stitches and one broken zipper pull. Extremely good quality, not especially cheap though, mine was over $50. It was originally marketed as a laptop bag.

For a day pack and GHB, I have some camel-back type system backpacks that Target clearanced at $11 dollars apiece. Great quality, but a little small for anything more than a minimalist 72 hour kit. Look at Target/Walmart around the end of a season(like the third week of june, the third week of september etc...) That's a good indication of when they start to clearance items, you might find some larger packs if you get lucky.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Under Armour's backpacks aren't expensive and are made with good quality nylon, zippers, straps, etc. I have one for books for school and have been putting 40+ pounds of books in it for years and it has never had a problem. And as a bonus it is made with a water resistant material so if you get caught in a random rain youll be a little better off. Its extremely low key and also comfortable to wear. I know its not survival, but walking around campus for hours a day with 40lbs of books is a pretty good test on a backpack and so far its passed with flying colors

1 - 20 of 23 Posts