Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
pack light, move quietly.
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out in my garage the other day playing with something, don't remember what when my eyes lit upon my son's kiddy pool. Now it was an epiphany for me, so I thought I would share.
I paid 20 bucks for an eight foot pool. I have all kinds of eight foot tarps, eight by twelve, or greater, just floating around. Another thing I stock is bungee cord, both with hooks and just lengths bought from the hardware store. It occurred to me that with all of these things in one place a person could have a fair sized water reservoir with very little investment. Just put it under a down spout, let it fill and then cover it with a tarp.
Just thought I would share, if anybody is tight for space and needs an emergency water reservoir, think about investing in a kiddy pool. I haven't done the math but its pretty good sized, and there are definitely bigger ones than I own. Of course I am only talking about an EMERGENCY resevoir.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Yeah, if we had a kiddy pool down here, critters'd get in it and bath/cool off. We use 55gal drums...we have half a dozen spead around, slap full of rain water( not runoff). Btw, if we cover it, we get mold. We use these tablets that float on the water and keep mosquitoes off.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,426 Posts
On my ranch I have a spring fed ag pond. It needs dredging right now but it is 40 ft by 80 ft. When I get it dredged down to 8 ft depth and lined with plastic it should hold 200,000 gal. Cost to dredge one with a dozer is $6-800.

I also keep three steel and one plastic 500 gal stock tanks filled at all times.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I did see a thing online which is a bladder for your bathtub, with a fill spout near the tub spigot. Simply fill with water before the power goes off. I think there is a manual pump used to get water out and into a bucket.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,961 Posts
I did see a thing online which is a bladder for your bathtub, with a fill spout near the tub spigot. Simply fill with water before the power goes off. I think there is a manual pump used to get water out and into a bucket.
The bladder fits in your bath-tub, fills with water and holds it until needed.

Can you use the bath-tub?

If you can not use the bath-tub, then you would not want to fill it until right before the power goes out. I am not sure how you would know when to fill it.

You would require advance warning that S was about to HTF.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
waterbob.com
I bought one for each of my kids for Christmas.

Reactions: bulrush

·
Registered
9 Posts
After SHTF it will be to late to fill it.

So do you keep it full all of the time?
I suppose that depends on the SHTF scenario.. If riots break out and you just want to bunker in, then this would be great prep for if things get too bad.

If you are trying to say that this shouldn't be the soul supply of water in your house, I totally agree. But I don't see how having one on standby, in case the situation dictates it being handy, can be harmful. Granted, money saved by not buying this product can be used on things that are typically considered more useful, but who's to say what prep he does and doesn't already have.

I'm kind of a new member, so I wanna make sure everyone knows mean no disrespect, I just think that this type of community benefits most from multiple opinions, conflicting or otherwise.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,961 Posts
I find that power goes out often enough that we do not know on any given day, if that day will be one when we lose power.

For us we find that we must store water all of the time. We never know ahead of time when the power will go out.

Which is why we keep a few drums filled with water. They are up on platforms and they each have a faucet, so getting the water out is easy.

Each scenario of SHTF is different.

For us, each month it usualy happens that we lose power. It is rural, so there is a very low population density. If a transformer blows 2 counties away, it can take out a score of townships easily.

Or in foul weather when someone slides into a power pole, so it trips breakers, and a dozen towns go dark.

Cities are entirely different. Lots of people, using lots of power and the utility companies will have multiple repair crews standing by.

When we lived in urban areas, we never experienced power outages as frequently as we do now in a rural area.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I was out in my garage the other day playing with something, don't remember what when my eyes lit upon my son's kiddy pool. Now it was an epiphany for me, so I thought I would share.
I paid 20 bucks for an eight foot pool. I have all kinds of eight foot tarps, eight by twelve, or greater, just floating around. Another thing I stock is bungee cord, both with hooks and just lengths bought from the hardware store. It occurred to me that with all of these things in one place a person could have a fair sized water reservoir with very little investment. Just put it under a down spout, let it fill and then cover it with a tarp.
Just thought I would share, if anybody is tight for space and needs an emergency water reservoir, think about investing in a kiddy pool. I haven't done the math but its pretty good sized, and there are definitely bigger ones than I own. Of course I am only talking about an EMERGENCY resevoir.

Thanks,
Rob
If you have a TIm Hortons restaurant near you and your office is going to get one of their "take ten boxes the mylar liners are made for holding coffee so will hold water and is just recycling something allready used.

·
Registered
65 Posts
waterbob.com
I bought one for each of my kids for Christmas.
Just my opinion, which is that these waterbob's are ok, as in the bladder itself is adequate. The plastic siphon pump might leave you disappointed, as it did me. I originally had mine setup in a wooden box (similar to a water bed) and the third time I filled the bladder and then used the pump, squeezing the pump handle split it and rendered it useless, which is not such a big deal when you are prepared and have extra plastic tubing and hose around that you can just start a manual siphon.

After that episode I moved the box and bladder out back of the chicken coop and elevated and enclosed the box so that waterbob feeds into the chickens water pail. Right now I keep the bladder only filled 2/3 of the way due to freezing, which I suspect will at some point render the entire thing entirely useless. Obviously this is not what it is designed for, but hey, it does the trick.

Anyway, I got off point a bit. Just keep in mind a plan to get the water out of the bladder due to a possible siphon malfunction.

·
On the lake
108 Posts
We use 55-gallon drums, but we also have some boxed water kits (mylar bags inside the boxes). They are stackable and so that makes them easier to store, especially if you are limited on space. The kind we have are from Emergency Essentials. Thanks for the pool idea - sounds great if you have the room.

·
I have control issues
6,270 Posts
After SHTF it will be to late to fill it.

So do you keep it full all of the time?
The situation where the waterbob would be most useful, IMO, is if you live down in Hurricane country. There is always plenty of advance notice that a storm is approaching, and that pre-storm prep time would be the time to fill the waterbob (as opposed to just filling the bathtub, as well as every conceivable vessel that can hold water, like we used to do.)

·
350 Posts
They make totes in a 250 to 400 gallon sizes that can sometimes be found cheap. The hard part about these is you need to keep them above freezing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Tote tank I just picked up off Craigslist for $50. Super clean and in great shape. Will hold 275 gallons of rainwater once I add it to my set up. I previously had a 55 gallon drum, but it would fill up too fast. This will be a great addition.

Attachments

·
350 Posts
Exactly the ones I was talking about.
If you go to Tractor Supply (or other places that sell tanks, pumps, etc), there's reducers that can get it down to a hose size on that bottom bung.
I have a few different kinds but here's the only pic I have on this PC.
This setup rides in the back of my RTV for watering plants and fire protection at the burn pit.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Exactly the ones I was talking about.
If you go to Tractor Supply (or other places that sell tanks, pumps, etc), there's reducers that can get it down to a hose size on that bottom bung.
I have a few different kinds but here's the only pic I have on this PC.
This setup rides in the back of my RTV for watering plants and fire protection at the burn pit.
Damn, when that tank is full, you must be riding with the front wheels up in the air!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts