Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my last knife project until the new year so here we go.

I got the Indian Damascus off of Ebay,the bid finished at 2AM so i got a bargain:thumb:It has been sitting around for a few weeks now so i dicided to complete this project today.

The wood is English Oak which was a pleasure to work,i love the look of oak.

I had 2-6mm pins left and enough lanyard tube for this knife and a piece left over.

The total length of the knife is 8" and the blade length is 4",the spine is 4mm.

The scratches you can see on the pictures cannot be seen with the naked eye,the flash of the camera showed these up.

I finished the handle with Danish oil which has brought the grain out beautifuly.

I have couple of pieces of oak and a bit of lanyard tube left over so i have glued the pieces of wood together and im going to make a mini fire steel to match the knife.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
:wow Sticks that is beautiful. To me that looks like the perfect all around knife. Very Very nice!! Great job! :thumb:

Tbull:cool:

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Heres the matching fire steel,ive just finished it.

I think the brass lanyard tube makes this look very nice indeed.

Also i had to glue some strips of leather inside the sheath to get a snug fit.:thumb:

Attachments

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
nice job mate looks like that shop is running wide open lol

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:wow Sticks that is beautiful. To me that looks like the perfect all around knife. Very Very nice!! Great job! :thumb:

Tbull:cool:
It feels great in the hand and damascus is lovely to sharpen so yes i think it will work great in the field.:thumb:

·
V
21,713 Posts
I hate it its fugly, what the hell is it supposed to be? :upsidedown:

Actually I guess it's kinda ok-ish after you look at it for a while :D:

Alright I'm sold I like it quite alot :rolleyes:

Ok now I'm good thats really actually really nice mate, I remember you don't like to clash in the woods so matching the firestarter with same wood is a nice touch :thumb:

Whats damascas like to work with any difference?

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate it its fugly, what the hell is it supposed to be? :upsidedown:

Actually I guess it's kinda ok-ish after you look at it for a while :D:

Alright I'm sold I like it quite alot :rolleyes:

Ok now I'm good thats really actually really nice mate, I remember you don't like to clash in the woods so matching the firestarter with same wood is a nice touch :thumb:

Whats damascas like to work with any difference?
The blade was bought already made up but i changed the tang and gave it a secondery bevel.

Damascus is nice to work,id say the HRC is around 54-56 a bit softer that my O1 tool steel or carbon which is around 57-59HRC but this makes it easier to sharpen and a good field knife.

·
Registered
200 Posts
that is one beautiful knife!!!!!!!!! nice work of art, that is literaly the best knife i've seen and i bet thats got good qwality! Is that knife 4 sale because i want it!

please let me know!
Bruce Almighty

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that is one beautiful knife!!!!!!!!! nice work of art, that is literaly the best knife i've seen and i bet thats got good qwality! Is that knife 4 sale because i want it!

please let me know!
Bruce Almighty
thanks Bruce.

Im sorry Bruce but this one i made for myself.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hey bro,
thats a pretty piece.
Doesthe damascuchold its edge?
Ive been a fan for sometime but it's pricey for an unknown entity. Like the oak too nice set.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey bro,
thats a pretty piece.
Doesthe damascuchold its edge?
Ive been a fan for sometime but it's pricey for an unknown entity. Like the oak too nice set.
I did some serious cutting last night with this knife,i cut up a large cardbaord box then some 4mm leather after that i wittled and carved some wood,i did a little batoning and the blade was still sharp enough to shave the hair off of my arm.:thumb:

Under a microscope Damascus looks like it has micro saw teeth,these microscopic teeth are what makes this steel so good at cutting.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Latest addition,Ive made a fire steel striker for this knife as i didn't want to strike the steel with the back of my blade and i had to keep undoing the lanyard to strike it so now i don't have to.

It is made from a saw blade with brass tube and oak to match the knife.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts