Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
sandlewood,patchuli,musk,citrinnella, can't stand any of the perfumy tling tling, dragons blood stuff THAT'S the stuff the stuff that gags me and makes me wheeze. the mosquito coils that are sold in the asian stores is ok that's the main reason i burn it mosqutos

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yep. Dragons blood. Frankenscence some times... Reminds me of church though. Couple times a week I soak in a bath with Epsom salt baking soda and lavender essential oil. Detox and helps with anxiety. I usually light some sort of incense. Scent memories are pretty strong. The church incense brings back great childhood memories of Church and holy days.

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
4,173 Posts
I have tried several types, I like to set them next to my floor vent unlit... unlighted... not burning what ever is correct term LOL.

I do have some mosquito repellant ones I light when outside.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,662 Posts
op asks for advice and only gets nonsense advice about how bad it is for you, meanwhile everyone of the responders drinks booze and eats way too many cookies. Nothing wrong with either and nothing wrong with incense if that's your thing. I'd hate to see any of you in a survival situation complaining about cigarettes or toilet smells.
Im wondering where I posted about cookies or booze? Post #2

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I just buy the cheap stuff at WM that comes 40 sticks to the package for a buck. It all smells different until you light it then it smells about the same. But I burn it all the time in the garage where I hang out the most. In the house my wife puts on "Essential Oil" and that **** makes my head thump. In revenge I light a couple of incense sticks to cover it up and of course she complains. But she gets the point. I think.

·
Moderator, floor sweeper, guardian of dust bunnies
3,179 Posts
I enjoy being an old-school purist and burn botanicals rather than incense sticks.

Here are a few that I like to burn (not together):

Dried lavender blossoms (Lavendula angustifolia)

Sweetgrass - divine vanilla-like fragrance (Hierochloe odorata)

Cedar (leaf) (Calocedrus decurrens - incense cedar)

Juniper (Juniperus spp.)

Dried Mugwort leaf (Artemisia vulgaris)

Dried yerba santa leaf (Eriodictyon californicum)

Pinon pine resin (Trementina)

Dried rose petals

Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)

Sandalwood, frankincense...plus a variety of other things

I burn them atop a small 30-40 mm charcoal disc in an abalone shell. The charcoal is sold for use in hookahs but is perfect for my purpose.

I recently found this site and will be exploring new-to-me scents including different frankincense species and sandalwood!

·
I am interrogative, yes.
2,057 Posts
I mainly use it for the annual Epiphany house blessing. Liturgical incense granules are burned on lit charcoal, carried in a handheld censer, as blessings are given from room to room throughout the house.

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,322 Posts
Love real frankincense, it's little lumps of sap from Boswellia sacra, although different Boswellia species are also collected and sold. Not often though, as I watch what I breathe. But real frankincense is awesome.

When I was a kid, I liked the Gonesh brand, comes in the long gold packages of sticks. One was called 'spring mist' or something similar, it was very nice.

I use a lot of lavender essential oil. As perfume it's straight out of the bottle. I put it in the rinse in laundry, in the little soap stone oil burner and occasionally right on the wood stove in the winter. Just a couple of drops.

Was gifted some edible lavender but haven't tried it yet. Brother's wife says it's good in simple syrup for on top of vanilla ice cream. I need to do something with it soon.

·
Scapegoat of the Universe
2,977 Posts
New Age shop near me supplies my sticks.

Sage when I'm up.

Myrrh when I'm not.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts