Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the smell of incense and I believe it has a therapeutic, calming affect after a stressful day at work. I've tried different brands and all kinds of different scents. I realize that it's not something that most people utilize so the responses to this thread will likely be few (if any).

Anyway, do you use incense?
Do you have a favorite brand?
Do some scents have a better affect on you than others?
Do you use the stick form or the little cone shaped ones (or some other form)?

I'm mainly looking for the most potent and aromatic brand I can find. I'm also a fan of sandalwood, nag champa, and coconut scents but I want to get some pine scent.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,662 Posts
All that crap plugs my sinus passages at first whiff…I was a lousy hippie back in the day….the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak…
Back in the old days, at gun shows(still may be doing it)anytime feds showed up, vendors lit incense as a subtle warning..Ran me out w/o buying a thing…not the best marketing strategy…jmo

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Incense is recognized as a major indoor air pollutant producing over 4x particulates as cigarettes. Besides the expected airway problems, it is also associated with mental cognition difficulties.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know much about them, but I do know that real sandlewood incense knocks me out like a light. Never buy incense or sushi from a gas station would be my best advice.
Incense actually does help me sleep. I don't believe there are any narcotics in it I just think it eases the mind. Something that, for me, is difficult to do. :cautious:

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Incense is recognized as a major indoor air pollutant producing over 4x particulates as cigarettes. Besides the expected airway problems, it is also associated with mental cognition difficulties.
Seems to have enhanced my cognitive abilities tenfold. :D

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i like nag champa and sandelwwod as far as polluting please get a life with all the cars and factorys you choose to pick on incense what a duffus.
Many of the folks worried about "pollution" will eat a Big Mac in New York second.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
My sinuses don't tolerate any smoke in the air very well, but that said, when I spend several hours out in the pole barn turning wrenches to repair something I would rather not have to do, I turn on some easy music, light a stick of incense for only a couple minutes, then put it out.
It puts just a light sent in the air, just enough.

·
1,158 Posts
op asks for advice and only gets nonsense advice about how bad it is for you, meanwhile everyone of the responders drinks booze and eats way too many cookies. Nothing wrong with either and nothing wrong with incense if that's your thing. I'd hate to see any of you in a survival situation complaining about cigarettes or toilet smells.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I like the smell of incense and I believe it has a therapeutic, calming affect after a stressful day at work. I've tried different brands and all kinds of different scents. I realize that it's not something that most people utilize so the responses to this thread will likely be few (if any).

Anyway, do you use incense?
Do you have a favorite brand?
Do some scents have a better affect on you than others?
Do you use the stick form or the little cone shaped ones (or some other form)?

I'm mainly looking for the most potent and aromatic brand I can find. I'm also a fan of sandalwood, nag champa, and coconut scents but I want to get some pine scent.
never. i see it as a potential lung irritant

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
op asks for advice and only gets nonsense advice about how bad it is for you, meanwhile everyone of the responders drinks booze and eats way too many cookies. Nothing wrong with either and nothing wrong with incense if that's your thing. I'd hate to see any of you in a survival situation complaining about cigarettes or toilet smells.
Thank you sir. As a long time member I've come to expect certain things. But I'm as good as giving it as I am at taking it. At the end of the day .. meh! :);)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I used to burn incense until I did a casual study of it. Got hooked while serving in Vietnam. A lot of incense has cow dung as the burning base to carry the aroma. Other types of base materials can absolutely be irritants to the airways, especially the cheap ones. Also the chemicals used to make the fragrance can be harmful when breathed.

·
1,158 Posts
I used to burn incense until I did a casual study of it. Got hooked while serving in Vietnam. A lot of incense has cow dung as the burning base to carry the aroma. Other types of base materials can absolutely be irritants to the airways, especially the cheap ones. Also the chemicals used to make the fragrance can be harmful when breathed.
So I guess I will cross you off my list of potential shroom suppliers since you know... they grow under cow patties. A Friend told me, I wouldn't know from my 20s

1 - 20 of 44 Posts