Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Bunkies,

We have a bit of a problem here at Survivalist Boards, and that problem is inappropriate language.

Each and every day I have to turn in people for deliberately bypassing the swear filter. It's getting old, and I'm beginning to look like the elementary school hall monitor each time I have to turn someone in for swearing in our forum. Kev's rules about this are pretty clear, but every day brings a handful of special someones who have to use foul language to get a point across. A good rule of thumb is: If you have to use profanity to get your point across, it's a pretty weak argument to begin with.

For those who are new or for those who have forgotten, this is number 1 in Kev's set of rules for this board:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=2

Please remember, people, that this is a family forum. We have a lot of children coming here to get their minds attuned to the survivalist/prepper way of life, and they don't need to be seeing improper language. Summer is just around the corner, so we will be receiving a lot more youth traffic in the coming months. We're mostly adults here, so please keep the language clean.

If you have any questions regarding this rule, feel more than free to grab any moderator or staffer that you see online. We will be more than glad to help.

Thanks, Bunkies!

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, guy. If people would stop dropping the "f" bomb around here, these reminders wouldn't have to be issued.

The bottom line is that this is Kev's corral, and he wears the big daddy boots with the silver spurs. What he says, GOES, and with no arguments. It's the job of the mods and the staffers to back him up all the way. It's a responsibility that I take seriously.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
I agree Brima. I believe that we should get much tougher enforcing the language rules here.

Personally, if I was in total charge, I'd ban people after three strikes on the bad language front. But that is up to Kevin, not me.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I agree Brima. I believe that we should get much tougher enforcing the language rules here.

Personally, if I was in total charge, I'd ban people after three strikes on the bad language front. But that is up to Kevin, not me.

If I had to add a second vote, after crude language I would go for crude attitude. One of the prime reasons why experts leave forums is that moderators do not reign in the young and arrogant.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Hey Bunkies,

We have a bit of a problem here at Survivalist Boards, and that problem is inappropriate language.

Each and every day I have to turn in people for deliberately bypassing the swear filter. It's getting old, and I'm beginning to look like the elementary school hall monitor each time I have to turn someone in for swearing in our forum. Kev's rules about this are pretty clear, but every day brings a handful of special someones who have to use foul language to get a point across. A good rule of thumb is: If you have to use profanity to get your point across, it's a pretty weak argument to begin with.

For those who are new or for those who have forgotten, this is number 1 in Kev's set of rules for this board:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=2

Please remember, people, that this is a family forum. We have a lot of children coming here to get their minds attuned to the survivalist/prepper way of life, and they don't need to be seeing improper language. Summer is just around the corner, so we will be receiving a lot more youth traffic in the coming months. We're mostly adults here, so please keep the language clean.

If you have any questions regarding this rule, feel more than free to grab any moderator or staffer that you see online. We will be more than glad to help.

Thanks, Bunkies!
I agree with you on the use of foul language, it's not necessary. However, your argument of not using it because there are children on the board is a little lame; they hear, and use, language every day at school (out of the earshot of their teachers), and with their friends that would be guaranteed to curl your hair. Just listen to some of the "music" they listen to; it's sickening. Leave the gutter language to them, we don't need it.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
I agree with you on the use of foul language, it's not necessary. However, your argument of not using it because there are children on the board is a little lame; they hear, and use, language every day at school (out of the earshot of their teachers), and with their friends that would be guaranteed to curl your hair. Just listen to some of the "music" they listen to; it's sickening. Leave the gutter language to them, we don't need it.
I'm not a child and I don't want to read it either. I see profanity used on a regular basis as the indication of a lazy intellect and poor self-control.

I agree about the children but they use that language because we as parents and members of the community LET them and allow them to be exposed to it both by our own actions and by omission.

I say we should lead by example, and Survivalist Boards is certainly a good place to start leading.

·
Survive... for what?
1,412 Posts
I personally dont care about swearing, unless every other word is F***. I see myself "Awake" to whats really going on in the world, and frankly sometimes we can get worked up when we see are nation going down the crapper or are freedoms being stripped away. If you are that offended my cursing - good luck when the world goes to hell - you wont last a day.

If Kev wants a clean forum, its his rule and I will do my best to stand by it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I got nailed today.
Felt like I was back in school.
Sheesh, I'm fifty...

If you read my posts you will see that I use good grammer, I have a decent vocabulary and don't use 'foul' language gratuitiously.
Occasionally I use one of these words when I want to make a strong point. (using it too often, diminishes its power :) ) and I self censored by substituting a letter with a *
Oooppps! Naughty naughty. Seems to me that if you can figure out what the missing letter is, you've heard/used the word before....

I guess '----' (a piece of silverware with tines) would get through the filter... or '-----' ( a chocolaty type of candy)...
Growing up as a pastor's son, I always got a kick out of the 'proper' folk who used substituiton words like fudge! or sugar! I knew what word they wanted to say. Seemed hypocritical to me.

Anyhoo, It's not my list. If I want to be here, I need to obey the rules. Plenty of other places for me to go if I don't like the rules set forth.

·
uhhh, OK
98 Posts

If I had to add a second vote, after crude language I would go for crude attitude. One of the prime reasons why experts leave forums is that moderators do not reign in the young and arrogant.
Why stop there? What else are you thinking of banning. Somebody ask Kev if banning bad attitudes is a good idea. Or young and arrogant people. Or maybe people that volunteered to do a job should just stop whining and do their job. Or quit.

·
On Point
2,559 Posts
I agree with Brimasmom. A person's point can be made without foul language. We have to take into consideration that minors will be looking for information on survival that we post in this forum. As a result, they will also stumble upon inapropiate language and will believe it is acceptable because it is used here. Our actions as adults set the standards by which minors will emulate. The information posted in this forum is very informative, lets not cast a bad shadow on it.

·
Ironic, isn't it?
155 Posts
I think those that have a problem with the language here are overly sesitive about it. We're talking life or death, blood and guts, scraping an existence after a terrible tragedy... And we're upset over a curseword that's not even really a curseword? I understand having common courtesy for others, but it's also important not to get bent out of shape because others don't share your sensitivities to these things. I don't curse very often, but I certainly think people should be able to express themselves in their own manner without the morality police basing their door down.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The inabillity to refrain from cursing is nothing more than immaturity and lack of self control....to try and defend the use of curse words is...childish
---- ,a 4 letter word for the act of reproduction, and ----, 4 letter word for excrement, or ----, a 4 letter word for urine, are not 'curse' words. The former is vulgar, the latter two, scatalogical.

----,a 4 letter word that rhymes with ham, often preceded by the common name for The Diety, is, indeed, a curse.

The point of language is communication. Sloppy use of language is more abhorent to me than vularities or imprecations. Yes, sometimes the words that are the point of this thread, are used because of sloppiness or laziness.
And I find that equally distressing.

kinda funny really...why is ---- foul, and coitus isn't? Both words mean the same thing. Is it the sound of the word? Is it who uses it?

Doesn't matter though, does it? Kev doesn't want it, and that's gonna be good enough for me. :)

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
I can see both sides of the argument, free speech vs. being civil, but one thing that is commonly overlooked....despite the appearence this is a privately-owned forum....and so in essence....this is Kev's house....his rules. You dont go into a mans house and disrepect his rules.

Besides he did give us the "back porch" (Darkside) to sit out and cuss and bash one another if that's to your liking.:rolleyes:

Just my 2cents.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.